SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, just wanted some feedback about these extremely expensive coilovers before i take the plunge!

also, does anyone have any pics of both the front and rear strut assemblies? the pics on Ground Controls website is kinda small. more specificially, does anyone have a nice pic of the rear strut assembly, particularly the lower portion of the strut, where it bolts to the spindle?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
-n-

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Those are suppose to be the best thing you can buy aside from a full racing setup which costs like $2k per corner. Or so I've read....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, that's what i keep hearing, but i was wondering if anyone has actually run them and can give me some feedback!

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I'm pretty sure Mike Kojima has them on his Z. I don't know of anyone running them on a se-r.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Mike K. also put them on one of his project SE-Rs. The one that was in Turbo has this set-up I believe.

·
VE powered
556 Posts
I have the ADs on my '92 SE-R. I don't have any pics, but I'll be auto'xing this weekend so I'll have a chance to take a couple pics then.

They're a noticeable improvement over the GABs (GABs are very similar to AGXs) I was running before. The car is much quicker in transistions and a lot more responsive on turn-in. The shortened struts allow for a lowered cg with plenty of suspension travel.

Overall, the difference between GC/AD and GC/GABs for me was as much difference as going from Prokits/GABs to GC/GABs.

Even though I drive my car to/from events I have reservations about recommending them for a daily driver. They really should be track or autox only. They probably need to be rebuilt every year or two and running them constantly on the street will just accelerate the wear. Also, on the street they can have a fairly "jittery" feel... people who've ridden with me on rough roads sometimes think the engine is hesitating or running rough.

Steve

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
that's the first true evaluation I've heard about them. I heard they were designed for SE-R Cup, which explains a lot.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks alot guys, the only thing that i had heard about them was from that article in turbo on kojima's red turbo car.

if you could take some pics, that be great.

thanks again

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
mubarick5243 said:
hey guys, just wanted some feedback about these extremely expensive coilovers before i take the plunge!

also, does anyone have any pics of both the front and rear strut assemblies? the pics on Ground Controls website is kinda small. more specificially, does anyone have a nice pic of the rear strut assembly, particularly the lower portion of the strut, where it bolts to the spindle?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
-n-
They are the best off the shelf shocks you can buy for the SE-R bar none. To go better you gotta do custom Penskes, Motons, etc for 3x the money.

Mike

·
VE powered
556 Posts
FastNX said:
how much do these shocks cost?

ahh yes, ground control. $399 per corner
It's actually a little more expensive than that. If you break the costs out it looks something like this:

struts @$399 each = $1596, modified Maxima strut bodies for $400, GC hardware (includes threaded sleeves, tophats and ERS springs) for $399, and GC CC plates for $349 you're looking at approx $2750 if bought individually. I believe the package price for all of this is closer to $2400. It's been almost two years since I bought this package so the prices might have changed.

Steve

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
ahh okay. They seem to be a univesal design, i was wondering what it would take to get them to work in the strut housings.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
autoxer7 said:
It's actually a little more expensive than that. If you break the costs out it looks something like this:

struts @$399 each = $1596, modified Maxima strut bodies for $400, GC hardware (includes threaded sleeves, tophats and ERS springs) for $399, and GC CC plates for $349 you're looking at approx $2750 if bought individually. I believe the package price for all of this is closer to $2400. It's been almost two years since I bought this package so the prices might have changed.

Steve
They are not modfied strut housings but fabricated chrome molly ones. They have more offset in the rear for tire clearance.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Scarpa said:
Mike, will a 225 tire fit in the rear of an NX with Advance Design struts?
It depends on the wheel width and offest. You will have to roll the fenders. A 7" rim with a 30 mm offset and a lot of fender rolling should clear.

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
autoxer7 said:
Steve
choaderboy2 said:
They are not modfied strut housings but fabricated chrome molly ones. They have more offset in the rear for tire clearance.
Mike
So, w/o the $400 that would be ~ $2350 for "partrs".

What is the price if bought as a "complete kit" from GC Steve?

Chris

·
VE powered
556 Posts
hpro123 said:
So, w/o the $400 that would be ~ $2350 for "partrs".

What is the price if bought as a "complete kit" from GC Steve?

Chris
The $400 for the strut bodies is not optional. Again, I bought mine nearly two years ago so prices may have changed... best to contact GC directly about pricing.

Steve

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thats about what I remember when I looked over a year ago. They advertise the $399 price but when you talk to them they tell you about the EXTRA $100 per corner for the housings and you say "Oh so it's really $500 per corner?" And the Answer was "No $399 then with the Modded strut bodies another $100"

·
Registered
504 Posts
ser_racer said:
Thats about what I remember when I looked over a year ago. They advertise the $399 price but when you talk to them they tell you about the EXTRA $100 per corner for the housings and you say "Oh so it's really $500 per corner?" And the Answer was "No $399 then with the Modded strut bodies another $100"
When I called them 2 months ago, it was up to $125 for the modded strut bodies. $525/corner, not including spring perches/springs...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
maxQ said:
When I called them 2 months ago, it was up to $125 for the modded strut bodies. $525/corner, not including spring perches/springs...
I was looking at these last year and decided it wasn't worth it. I'm still trying to talk to a guy at KYB that said he can shorten the KYBs for more travel for my SE-R. I did my entire suspension last year for $1000 (AGXs, Hyperco's, Progress rear bar, all bushings, Koni Bumpstops, F&R STBs). If You add in the cost of the GC coilovers I'm getting later, it's ~$1500. For road racing, which is what they are for, I've heard AGXs are as good as any. I don't think there's any debating the ADs are the best, but they are so danged expensive.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts