SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, um, anyone use a CAI on their NX? hehe...i just bought a PR CAI for $100, and am debating, i hear they are kinda shitty on NX's...anyone have one? i will probably just use the first half..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silversx:
well, um, anyone use a CAI on their NX? hehe...i just bought a PR CAI for $100, and am debating, i hear they are kinda shitty on NX's...anyone have one? i will probably just use the first half..
</font>
Just use the whole thing.

·
egg-less
348 Posts
I'm with roll cage...use the whole thing! I have one, I think it's great! SOTP dyno says, "Yep, more power, all thru the rev bad." Not a lot, mind you, but enough to notice a difference.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm...so it's not true about the fog light assembly reducing air flow to that area?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
hmm...so it's not true about the fog light assembly reducing air flow to that area?
</font>
The foglight isn't what is blocking airflow to that area. There's a metal piece behind it. Not sure what it is, though... I'm sure Ian (Pretty White) can chime in on that. The CAI may not be as beneficial on the NX as it is compared to the classic (heck, the foglight blocks air flow on my 200SX, but never had problems with the CAI), but a CAI will definitely net you better power/torque gains than any underhood intake (not counting Ian's custom setup). Put the darn thing on and be done with it.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have had the PR CAI and POP on my NX for a while. nice sound.
no mater where it is, you still going to be sucking cold air in. its not like there isnt any air there at all. if you REALLY think its a problem you could always run some ducting to it.

Alex

·
SR20DE Driver
151 Posts
Their right, use the whole thing. Keep in mind it is not a "ram air" so it is not there for air flow, it is there for the "cold air". To really help you out in thinking about it, how much air do you think is "flowing" up top, not much. Also the air up top is hot air for the most part. Either one will make a difference but I would say to shoot for the cold air set-up.

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The foglight isn't what is blocking airflow to that area. There's a metal piece behind it</font>
Thats right. I have a new spoiler so that theory for me is out the window. But fora regular NX that is the problem.

This is my set up. But will try the AEM really soon or the Place again if I could get my hands on a B pipe to test it out.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can i just remove the metal plate?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
can i just remove the metal plate?
</font>
If only it were so easy... That plate looks more like some sort of bumper support, or something part of the frame. Even if you were to remove it, or cut it, you'd still need to remove the foglight to get the airflow you're looking for. I wouldn't worry about it... We're talking about a miniscule hp figure here... Unless your ass-dyno is that well calibrated, I don't think you'll notice, though you will notice the difference between the CAI and the stock airbox.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have a pop on there now..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

G

·
I run my car with the drivers side foglight out. I think that is the only way to get enough air in there without other mods. Someone back in the day did testing and lost a good 10mph on a road course down the front straight when switching to the cai from a pop on an NX. I think the best way would be to fashion some kind of scoop under the front bumper and route it into the bottom of the splash guard. There really is almost no area for air to enter the cai location when everything is in place.

Matt Ostlund
93NX
91SE-R DET

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by paNX2K&SE-R:
I run my car with the drivers side foglight out. I think that is the only way to get enough air in there without other mods. Someone back in the day did testing and lost a good 10mph on a road course down the front straight when switching to the cai from a pop on an NX. I think the best way would be to fashion some kind of scoop under the front bumper and route it into the bottom of the splash guard. There really is almost no area for air to enter the cai location when everything is in place.

Matt Ostlund
93NX
91SE-R DET
</font>

That was my feeling too when I was driving on the highway. I felt I lost top end. Others even with classics said the same thing. I guess no one else really trired to run upstairs with one. I also heard someone else lost HP on the dyno with it in their NX2000.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i knew it...
i'll just install half for now, and see how that works...pretty white, tell me more about your setup, you have a....warm CAI? how did you do that?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Okay, time for my .02:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">There really is almost no area for air to enter the cai location when everything is in place.</font>
I have said it in the past, and I'll say it again. The area where the air filter for the CAI sits in, is not airtight!
The fenderwell liner has gaps between the fender and it. Especially near the bottom.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">hmm...so it's not true about the fog light assembly reducing air flow to that area?</font>
No, it's not true. But if you do want more airflow into that area, just remove the driverside fog light. Hell, remove them both. I ditched mine, and went with a set of Pilots.
If you remove the OE fog lights, and then pull away the fenderwell liner, you'll see a quarter inch space between the spoiler and the inside of the fenderwell.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">There's a metal piece behind it. Not sure what it is, though...</font>
It's the actual front end assembly. But if you want, you could probably use a hole saw and remove some of the metal for more airflow.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">no mater where it is, you still going to be sucking cold air in.</font>
Now that's a common misconception. CAIs don't make more HP by just sucking in colder air. But by RESONANCE EFFECT.
Naji Dahi has a very good explanation on his web site on how CAIs work.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Someone back in the day did testing and lost a good 10mph on a road course down the front straight when switching to the cai from a pop on an NX.</font>
Who? Where? How was the test conducted? I've always heard that people lost HP with a CAI on an NX, but I've never seen any proof.
Looks like I'll have to email one of the guru's and find out.

------------------
Thomas Fox
93 NX2000
SUBCULTURE'S 93 NX2000!

·
Registered
487 Posts
It doesn't seem to make sense that there would be a problem with lack of airflow in the fender with a CAI. I mean, how much airflow do you get just under the hood? With a CAI you have a foglight blocking air, with a warm air setup you have a front headlamp, bumper, bodywork, battery, all blocking that same path of air. And like Subculture has stated, the area that the intake sits in the fender is not air tight. Some of you make it seem like there's no air in there!

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Son Of Skyline:
It doesn't seem to make sense that there would be a problem with lack of airflow in the fender with a CAI. I mean, how much airflow do you get just under the hood? With a CAI you have a foglight blocking air, with a warm air setup you have a front headlamp, bumper, bodywork, battery, all blocking that same path of air. And like Subculture has stated, the area that the intake sits in the fender is not air tight. Some of you make it seem like there's no air in there!

</font>

Jim Wolf explained this to me. Air gets into the engine bay when thye car is at speed. Air fills the engine area. That why when you are driving with a temperature probe under the hood (which I have done) you will notice underhood temps drop. The classic has and I repeat the classic has a brake duct looking hole in it's lower bumper. It is almost radiused in shape. If you ever look into a 91-94 bumper cover with a CAi behind it you will most definately see the filter behind it. No, the NX isn't airtight, but at speeds air is passing over the hood, the side of the fender and under the car. Where is the filter getting air from? The faster the motor revvs the more air you need to the intake. Is it getting more air? I doubt it. That is why he most likely lost 10mph on the straights. It wass Ray K and Lee K that saw the NX being dynoed and saw it lose HP and gain it back when he switched back. BTW, I want to see someone with a NX2000 show me a dynochart where they gained HP with a CAI. Thats as hard to find as someone saying they lost HP as well huh?

·
8,148 Posts
i knew it...
i'll just install half for now, and see how that works...pretty white, tell me more about your setup, you have a....warm CAI? how did you do that?

</font>

I strongly believed the resonance effect was responsible for the torque increase. But I dreaded hybrolock. So I got a 90degree bend and a straight 3" pipe and cut and weld, fit, pencil marked, cut and weld until I got enough room for the filter to be as close to the headlight area w/o having to move the battery, and having length on the pipe to have a sort of CAi. When I come off the highway yes, the pipe is cold. I don't have to switch intakes during heavy rain and it pulls like a banchie. Does it work? I guess so. I have my dyno chart hold on.....

http://www.angelfire.com/ny/ianjiggyroom/Dyno1.JPG

And factor in 9% correction factor because of humidity and rain. This was an outdoor mobile dyno. So My HP#'s arre about correct for a car w/o cams.

So that 134X9%=146.06.
Ray K made over 150hp on the same dyno a few weeks back and made less power this time so we figured it was about 9% loss. So thats
My mods,
-Throttle Body to MAF Place racing. MAF to headlight, Custom CAi
-2" Dynomax Muffler with 2" Greddy midpipe
-Fre flowing cat (I don't know how free flowing a 2 year old cat can still be)
-JWT ECU
-10:1 motor
-NGK wires and plugs
-Stillen 2nd generation 4-2-1 header
-Stillen Throttle Body
Thats about it for speed parts.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny/ianjiggyroom/dyno2.JPG

The only thing Mike K said that he thought my filter was kind of small. I was under the impression that the pipe sucked in air, not the filter? The filter was, well that just a filter. Oh well. The homemade adapter was a 3 1/2 inch connector that bottled down to 3", my horn adapter in a sense :> ).

[This message has been edited by Pretty White (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Registered
487 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pretty White:

Jim Wolf explained this to me. Air gets into the engine bay when thye car is at speed. Air fills the engine area. That why when you are driving with a temperature probe under the hood (which I have done) you will notice underhood temps drop. The classic has and I repeat the classic has a brake duct looking hole in it's lower bumper. It is almost radiused in shape. If you ever look into a 91-94 bumper cover with a CAi behind it you will most definately see the filter behind it. No, the NX isn't airtight, but at speeds air is passing over the hood, the side of the fender and under the car. Where is the filter getting air from? The faster the motor revvs the more air you need to the intake. Is it getting more air? I doubt it. That is why he most likely lost 10mph on the straights. It wass Ray K and Lee K that saw the NX being dynoed and saw it lose HP and gain it back when he switched back. BTW, I want to see someone with a NX2000 show me a dynochart where they gained HP with a CAI. Thats as hard to find as someone saying they lost HP as well huh?
</font>
Interesting...but on a dyno, the NX would not be "at speed". Why would the CAI filter not be able to suck in enough air on a dyno, causing a power decrease? What would the difference be between an NX and Classic on a dyno?

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Son Of Skyline:
Interesting...but on a dyno, the NX would not be "at speed". Why would the CAI filter not be able to suck in enough air on a dyno, causing a power decrease? What would the difference be between an NX and Classic on a dyno?

</font>

That brake duct hole. Remember on a dyno there is usually a big fan in front of it blowing air into the engine bay. The NX is practically sealed with the exception of the gaps between the fender liner and the body.
Let me give you a better example. When we did back to back tests I used to chirp 3 gear with the POP in the engine. When I put the POP in the fender it wouldn't. (I had the Place intake with the POP adapter) Everytime. My VR6 buddy could confirm that. This was back to back tests. I have the video but I gotta re-load it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts