SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
i have a sr20ve in my b13 se-r. i'm running act clutch, fidanza flywheel, aem cai, hotshot header, greddy cat-back, sr16ve cams, using msd rpm switches for the vvl change-over. i'm using the se-r wire harness and ecu. i have a 50 wet shot but i'm still debating wheather to hook it up or not. sorry to blab on, anyways, i wanted to know if anyone is using the apex S-AFC (fuel controller) with a SR20/16VE set up? and if there are, what settings they're using and how good is it working. i have the S-AFC already and it can be connected with the SR20DE and SR20VE (got the wire diagram). i'm sure, in the future i'll go with jim wolf, but right now, i'd like to save some money if possible and like i said, i already have the S-AFC.

thanks for all your help!!!

·
BANNED!!eleven
840 Posts
1st post? wow...yes, if you tune it, it should work fine. is it an safc 1 or 2?
settings are kinda up in the air...dyno it, see where it needs help.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i will be runnin a s-afc with a wolf comp i havnet hooked it up yet cause i havnet been to a dyno but its there showing rev and whatever else, just havent hooked up maf but like serious said it will work as good as you tune it

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's a apex S-AFC 1 (blue face with 4 arrows). okay, so my best bet is to just tune it while in the dyno? if i were to tune the S-AFC to it's optimal efficiency (highest hp), will it be as good as a jwt comp? what modifications (other than fuel/air, rev limiter, and speed cut removal) do jwt do that i would lack using just the S-AFC and the SE-R parts (ecu, maf, etc)?

thanks for all of your help. i understand that jwt is a great "plug-n-play" option but, i already have the S-AFC and i plan to do future modifications (nitrous, etc) that might demand air/fuel adjustment.

·
BANNED!!eleven
840 Posts
it wont be as good as a jwt, i wouldnt think. it does control ignition (dunno how much that does for the sr20s).
but it would be better than using just a de ecu. a lot of people are starting to use the safc with the jwt to lean out their programs a little.

·
Turbo Grocery Getter
1,461 Posts
sr20ve_hawaii

Hey man,

we should meet up, id like to see your tuning of the VE. I thought i had the only VVL sentra in hawaii. Where do you tune on the dyno? Up at endless? Call my cell or just pm on here.

375-4607

nathan

·
Infiniti Parts Guy
979 Posts
What about the ECU's self learning capabilities? Has something changed to where this won't fight the s-afc stuff anymore?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey justinp10. to tell you the truth i don't think the ecu would fight the S-AFC, cause what it does is actually manipulates and alters the signal coming from the MAF. so you're actually just "tricking" your ecu into believing that there is a different amount of airflow so it puts out your desired fuel level. so there's no opposing system to fight. i may have misunderstood your question and i'm sorry if i just blabbed on about nothing.

and nathan, sure man. i'd honestly like to get this S-AFC (and possibly my nitrous) going good before i take it out to the tracks or something. plus, i'd really like to have the slicks or drag radials because everyone on oahu knows HRP's trap sucks ass. but sure, i'll give you a call. been a little busy lately due to the fact that i'm still completing my set up, got a SR16VE coming in for my friend's SE-R (we both got the custom plates for it; i got "SR20VE" and he got "SR16VE"), and i got a spare SR20VE that we're turbocharging through my friends at WMR (for a pretty darm good price too). i'm probably going to be doing that dyno at endless (cause i know a few guys who used to work there or SG engineering (heard they're pretty good). but for sure i'll give you a call, maybe meet at tracks this weekend. i'll be clocking my SR powered 240sx.

and thanks for everyones help.....greatly appreciated!

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
question...if i have jwt ecu and a nismo fpr can i benefit from a safc at all?

·
Infiniti Parts Guy
979 Posts
sr20ve_hawaii said:
hey justinp10. to tell you the truth i don't think the ecu would fight the S-AFC, cause what it does is actually manipulates and alters the signal coming from the MAF. so you're actually just "tricking" your ecu into believing that there is a different amount of airflow so it puts out your desired fuel level. so there's no opposing system to fight. i may have misunderstood your question and i'm sorry if i just blabbed on about nothing.
But the ECU pays attention to more than just the MAF and uses other sensors to adjust and alter the timing and fuel maps. That's how the ECU "learns" and runs at an optimal setting no matter what the conditions. If it only looked at the MAF then we'd only have to had the MAF plugged in for the car to run properly, but that's not the case. What happens when the s-afc leans out the car, the computer would want to then richen fuel ratio back up that way it's back to the ideal setting for the ECU. Right?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorry to get off subject, but dose anyone know the size of the SAFC? I need to measure my interior to make sure it will fit or what kind of modifications I need to make on my setup.

·
Registered
203 Posts
NM, i answerd my question... My friend brought his car into the shop today... and to my surprise he was isntalling a SAFC2. I helped him with to so i would know how to install mine, very easy install!
For any of you that would like to know the dimentions of it, its 2h x 6l x 1w.
Very nice piece of equipment!!

·
WASHED UP
2,440 Posts
JustinP10 said:
What about the ECU's self learning capabilities? Has something changed to where this won't fight the s-afc stuff anymore?
It will only fight afc something like 40% of fuel but say 5-25 percent is ok .You changing the computer maf voltage so the computer thinks its running fine.

·
Wiggatastic!
1,043 Posts
Has anyone tried using a V-AFC. They are made to control V-tech, but I am pretty sure they can be made to control anything using the rpm switch that is built into them. It would make it really easy to control cam engagement. I was thinking of using it for my nitrous set-up as a window switch.

~ Marcus

·
BANNED!!eleven
840 Posts
if they are made to control vtec, then my guess is they can only control one cam, or both cams at the same time. from what ive read the ve makes better power when the cams engage at different points.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, Stirpicult is right. i believe there was a thread like this a while back about using the V-AFC or other V-Tec controllers. the problem is most are only designed for 2 stage cam configuration (which means they'll only switch at one [not multiple] rpm). using this, you'll only be able to switch one cam or 2 at the same time like Stirpicult said. unless, you use two (2) V-AFC's, but that would be unpractical due to the price (unless you have two just setting around somewhere).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts