·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone-
I dynoed the car Sunday afternoon at Technodyne here in Tempe. I ended up
dynoing 349.6 hp & 288.9 ft/lb @ 19 psi. The car was set at 14-15 degrees
timing and we set it to 16-17 degrees Friday night . We were running 110
octane on the car for the run. The EGT's were running at 900-950 degrees (Celsius)at
WOT on full boost. The car's ignition problems are gone after swapping out
the platinum plugs with copper plugs and swapping the NGK wires out to stock
Nissan wires. We are going to run the car next Friday and advancing the
timing to 18-19 degrees and then dyno again the following Sunday. Its seems
that the car likes the advanced timing even with the more "Aggressive" low
compression ignition maps. Ben and I think the car should be able to hit the
410-420 hp range with 23-24 psi.

Louis Anaya

Very glad the car is doing what it is supposed to do;GO FAST!

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by APEXSER:
Hello Everyone-
I dynoed the car Sunday afternoon at Technodyne here in Tempe. I ended up
dynoing 349.6 hp & 288.9 ft/lb @ 19 psi. The car was set at 14-15 degrees
timing and we set it to 16-17 degrees Friday night . We were running 110
octane on the car for the run. The EGT's were running at 900-950 degrees (Celsius)at
WOT on full boost. The car's ignition problems are gone after swapping out
the platinum plugs with copper plugs and swapping the NGK wires out to stock
Nissan wires. We are going to run the car next Friday and advancing the
timing to 18-19 degrees and then dyno again the following Sunday. Its seems
that the car likes the advanced timing even with the more "Aggressive" low
compression ignition maps. Ben and I think the car should be able to hit the
410-420 hp range with 23-24 psi.

Louis Anaya

Very glad the car is doing what it is supposed to do;GO FAST!
</font>

Sweet!! Yea these turbo cars just respond like a mofo to a little agressive timing. It's night and day from 15* to 20* on my car with the same boost.

It's hard to believe that the stock wires cured that! lol who'd of thought. Maybe I should ditch my 8mm Accels? Hmmm I swapped out to NGK's but they ran no better.

I need more fire in the hole. There are signs of the spark getting blow out on the porcelain. Kinda looks like you touched the side of it with a lighter real quick. NGK said it's the spark getting blown out. No misfire really but it's right on the edge, you can tell.

Supposedly I'm running the hottest streetable set up MSD has. Oh well.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was kind of worried about cranking up the timing from what JWT told me about the lower compression ignition maps being more aggressive than the higher compression ecu's. Just by adding 2 degrees made the car pull so much harder. I think I will try cranking up the timing to 20 degress like Mike K told me to. I have a feeling it won't like that much advance. I am thinking 18 degrees will do. I am almost positive the car can put 410-415 to the wheels w/o water injection. I am still not too sure about the Platinum plugs though. Ben and I like the results from the copper plugs rather than the platinums. My car never hit past 1.2 bar with those platinum plugs. Swap them out to copper and I can boost 1.3-1.4 bar. Go Figure!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Jay-
What kind of timing do you run on the street? Do you keep it at 20 degrees on 92 octane all the time? Or do you crank the timing down after the track? I guess if you noticed pinging on 92 octane would be the only reason you would crank the timing down!

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Ok i could be totaly wrong, but i remember reading somewhere the stock wires are like either 8 or 9mm's forget which one. Thats why they are pretty damn good. Arent the NGK's like 7mm? At those god alful boost levels you need like ****ing 3" pipe worth of spark

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, the stock plug wires are only 7mm also. I know that Ben has had good luck with the 8.5mm Magnecors, Jay has had good luck with 8mm Accels, and Ryan has had good luck with 7mm NGK wires. What the hell?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hey Jay-
What kind of timing do you run on the street? Do you keep it at 20 degrees on 92 octane all the time? Or do you crank the timing down after the track? I guess if you noticed pinging on 92 octane would be the only reason you would crank the timing down!
</font>
I like the copper plugs too, plus they are cheap as sheeiiiit.

I normally run about 17* on the street. I use 94 octane pump and the air up here is usually a bit cooler. Like on a Sat night at our cruise strip the ambient temp can dip as low as 50* after the sun goes down. All the turbo cars up there kinda smile and get busy.
I usually dump about 1/3 race gas in the tank with the pump just for safety sake. I mean what's $12 for a night of cruising to save the motor. Sometimes you bump into that single turbo Supra that needs a spankin.

As far as detonation goes...dude, I have no idea. My pistons will come through the hood before I hear anything but that death note from the wastegate. My **** is *loud*. It's all I can hear. I *think* I detonated once with the small water jet, straight 93 octane and 16psi. I was playing with a Mustang and felt the car kinda buck a little bit. I got right out of it. I'm not sure though because it felt like my plugs usually do when they need to be changed...and it was about that time. That was like last November and the weather was cold too.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Actually, the stock plug wires are only 7mm also. I know that Ben has had good luck with the 8.5mm Magnecors, Jay has had good luck with 8mm Accels, and Ryan has had good luck with 7mm NGK wires. What the hell?</font>

ROFLMAO! Aint that the truth though!

I'm thinking of trying out the MSD super low resistance wires. Problem is they don't have the proper plug boots and will just be wires going into the plug holes.

·
Registered
858 Posts
the 8.5 msd wires from an acura integra fit. just cut the ends cause they're longer and make the terminals for the distributor. works fine.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

[This message has been edited by redman007 (edited 03-12-2001).]

·
Registered
353 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jay Hass:

It's hard to believe that the stock wires cured that! lol who'd of thought. Maybe I should ditch my 8mm Accels?
</font>
Man, the first thing Clark does when a car with aftermarket wires on it comes into the shop is pull 'em off and put some OEM's on there. The OEM wires are the best.

Louis, I'd like to see what the car will do with new stock NGK-R's and the OEM wires.

Seems like that's one place where it just doesn't pay to 'upgrade'.

Rob

·
Registered
43 Posts
349 hp in a B13!? Damn! That's way impressive. Did you make your exhaust manifold or did you have someone local do it for you? The reason I ask is I have a B15 I am am very interested in turbo charging mildly and I'm not real interested in the GTi-R manifold. Due to the close coupled cat. I have to take the cat. out to turbo the car. Then at emissions time put everything back the way it was. I really like your turbo setup and any info you could provide would be appreciated.
349hp...surprise any Corvettes lately?

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AZ 2K SE:
349 hp in a B13!? Damn! That's way impressive...349hp...surprise any Corvettes lately?</font>
You seem shocked that it's a B13? It's the same car and motor as the rest.

He's got a lot more than that in the car. 350whp is pretty easy in a JWT tuned T3/T4 SR20 nowdays.

I layed down [email protected] on a stock DE, Ryan B layed down [email protected] on a stock DE and there are others who have gone way beyond that.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
349 hp in a B13!? Damn! That's way impressive. Did you make your exhaust manifold or did you have someone local do it for you? B]</font>

Actually , most of the high HP SR20's on the main list & on this forum have the FMAX manifold. I am not sure if you are on th emain list, but 350hp is very achievable by any SR20. You are in AZ right? We have 4 Turbocharged SR20's just in the East Valley (Gilbert,Mesa, Ahwatukee, Tempe). We have one of the fastest SR20's in the country here in AZ (Ben Benavides'1995 200SX 524HP 10.3 @138). Just go out to Firebird International Raceway on any given Friday Night Drag and you will see at least one of us!

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1497569&a=11327630

Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
349.6 hp & 288.9 ft/lb @ 19 psi, 13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (7-9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Sumitomo 205/40/ZR17 Tires (Street), 13x7.5 White Lenso VPD's w/ Mickey Thompson 24x8x13 Slicks(Drag)

·
Registered
43 Posts
What impressed me about the 349 hp was that it was done in such a lightweight car. I'm surprised he's only hitting 13's in the 1/4. I wouldn't call that a letdown though. I will admit this engine continues to impress me, but I'm not surprised that he was able to achieve what he did. I've learned/heard the SR20DE can be built into one nasty little wee beasty. What I like most is the sleeper aspect. Few people know about the SR20DE, but it seems fewer still know or respect what this engine is capable of. I knew less than nothing about imports when I bought my B15 SE last year. I've tried to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can. So if I ask stupid questions or seem surprised you know why.
Louis, thanks for the info. I'm not betting that JWT will get the B15 ECU done this year and I don't plan to wait until he does (whenever that may be). If I can get an answer to one more question, I can tell other B15 owners what they need to turbo their cars. BTW, this is the best site I've come upon for technical info. I'm glad I found it and will tell other serious Sentra owners about it when they want to mod their cars.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm surprised he's only hitting 13's in the 1/4. I wouldn't call that a letdown though. </font>

Are you speaking about me? Actually 13.6 @ 111 was on 1.1 bar (~16 psi) on street tires. That is how I drive it every day to and from work (40 miles each way!). That doesn't impress you?
Most Mustangs are only running low 15's to high 14's on the street! I have actually ran a 12.7 @ 112 on 1.1 bar (~16 psi) with the car shooting out flames and sputtering down the track! The car will pull an 11 second pass here shortly! I am glad that you are in the Turbo Forum gaining knowledge and asking more in depth technical questions. You can also try looking up the www.se-r.net archives for more info if need be.

------------------

349.6 hp & 288.9 ft/lb @ 19 psi, 13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (7-9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Sumitomo 205/40/ZR17 Tires (Street), 13x7.5 White Lenso VPD's w/ Mickey Thompson 24x8x13 Slicks(Drag)

[This message has been edited by APEXSER (edited 03-16-2001).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not impressed by 13.6? Quite the opposite. I would be happy if my Sentra went 14's let alone 13 something. My guess was that at 349hp you would be hitting 11's or low 12's. I wasn't sure how your car was set-up at the time though. Yes, I am impressed and I like to see as many Nissans as possible running great times. I am so sick of Mustangs, Chevys, and Hondas I could puke. These cars have been covered to death. I'll take a Nissan anyday.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My guess was that at 349hp you would be hitting 11's or low 12's. I wasn't sure how your car was set-up at the time though.</font>
This is the link to how the car has been running for the last month or so!

http://laf.cioe.com/~benbobbo/NonCGI/Forum10/HTML/000153.html

I just dynoed the car this past Sunday. I was still having ignition problems up until this point. While on the dyno , we figured out that cranking the timing up helped the car tremendously! At the times where I ran the car at the track, the car's ignition problem was still occuring! 13.6 @ 111(16 psi & 15 degrees timing) mph is about at good as it gets with a High HP FWD car on street tires. The 12.7 @ 112(16 psi & 15 degrees timing) was with slicks with a 2.1 60' time on slicks. Granted, the run was on slicks , but turbocharged cars do not build boost out of the hole. You usually need a 2 Step, NOS, or a JWT Drag Launch Program to get you out of the whole. I had none of these. A good launch (1.8 60') and the car tuned how it is now (349.6 HP @ 19 psi & 17 degrees timing) will get me a low 12 to high 11 second pass , no doubt! So, you are right, 349.6 hp to the wheels is good for that ET, but all of my passes have been on much less hp figures. Remember, I also have another 3-5 psi of boost I can run. I also need to crank the timing to about 19-20 degrees to get maximum power! So 410-425 hp to the wheels could easily be attained once everything is tuned right!

------------------

[This message has been edited by APEXSER (edited 03-16-2001).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Louis, thanks for the patient answers. I know there a lot of car owners who would not respond kindly if they thought someone was knocking their pride and joy or their driving ability.I wasn't, I just didn't know for sure if you'd had the opportunity to put that 349 hp to the track. The numbers didn't add up so I guessed that you hadn't. You have one sweet Sentra. Good luck on getting into the 11's.

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts

Are you speaking about me? Actually 13.6 @ 111 was on 1.1 bar (~16 psi) on street tires. That is how I drive it every day to and from work (40 miles each way!). That doesn't impress you?
</font>
Hmm I guess thats ok, I did that at palmedale on streets with only 8 pounds

PS I like the bumper I should have done that.

Mike Collins USN
Turbo CLassic

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PSSSHHHGOESMYSR20:
Hmm I guess thats ok, I did that at palmedale on streets with only 8 pounds

Mike Collins USN
Turbo CLassic

</font>
You never cease to amaze me Mike!

You act as if you have earned everyone's respect by posting some UNGODLY amounts of horsepower or some CRAZY ASS timeslips! Put your money where your mouth is and post either some timeslips or a dyno sheet! Until then, go play hide and seek with your little Squid friends!

Louis Anaya
USMC

------------------

[This message has been edited by APEXSER (edited 03-19-2001).]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts