SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of PIAA headlight bulbs but won't pay the price if there is no significant difference from stock or Sylvania Cool Blues. I understand these bulbs won't get you an HID look, but can you notice a difference?
Thanks for any input,
Erik

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hello,
If I were you I would not put those lights in. I put some Hyper whites in my car and they melted/burned the headlight sockets. It was expensive to fix.(unless i got ripped)
They run at a higher voltage than you factory ones run when on high. They get too hot and melt the sockets.

Don't get me wrong, I like the way they look. I am just giving friendly advise. and trying to save another sr20de some grief.(and money
)

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Yeah I had that same problem with the super bright white bulbs on my NX. The wire is to small a gage and it melts and the plugs too. A peace of cake to fix but a pain in the ass that it happens.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
me too, I burned about 2 sets until I pulled my head out. I run stock bulbs all the way around. I think the Piaa bulbs are low enough wattage to be ok, but I would not test it again.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't know much about aftermarket bulbs but I do know that there is a page about them on http://www.SE-R.NET . It should help you out. http://www.se-r.net/electrical/bright_lights.html That's the link.

------------------
'95 200 SX SE-R
PR CAI; ACT Disc & PP; ES MM; Pro-Kits; now raising funds for AGX's

[This message has been edited by Toddles82 (edited 03-01-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Does anyone run PIAA 9004 60/45W=110/85W? I guess based on the responses so far this may be a risky thing. I really don't want to have to deal with burning up my wires.
Thanks again
Erik

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had a few different sets of "aftermarket" bulbs, and the best I've used so far are a "J-Spec" brand as the whole package is written in Japanese or Chinese or soemthing. I got them on Ebay for 21.00 shipped, and I absolutely love them!! In fact, I just helped a friend who liked my headlights so much, he had me help him install a H4 conversion on his Chevy Blazer! Now, the beam pattern with these lights is what they refer to as "sharp" or "focused", which means you won't have alot of light outside of the beam pattern(like US Spec headlights), but I prefer them. They cast a very bright white light with a very faint blue tint, that really illuminates anything thats luminescent(e.g. street signs, reflectors, etc.). I live in the Berkshires in Massachusetts where I don't think they've figured out that there are these things called streetlights; because when it gets dark, there's no way of telling whats going to hop, skip or run in front of your car
Therefore, I like to have as much light available when I'm driving at night(especially with my son in the car), and these have been great!! They're 80W/85W(I just got 85W bulbs for the factory Classic fogs, BTW)and I have had no problems with the factory wiring melting, burning, etc. In fact the only time I've had people flash their lights(very,very few)are the idiots with SUV's who blind everyone anyway when they get up behind you.
Sorry for rambling....My 2 cents worth.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the PIAA superwhites on my car now. They are stock wattages. The light that it gives off is "cleaner" The light is whiter than the stock ones. My fogs are still stock so you can really tell the colors are different. But I don't think the PIAA's are worth the price. Just go with the cheap ones with stock wattage. I want to get the new nis-knacks Crystal H4 Headlamps. They look really good.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got all yalls beat ( like the accent?) I've been through 19 of those damn sockets and at $6 each it adds up.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got all yalls beat ( like the accent?) I've been through 19 of those damn sockets and at $6 each it adds up. And I now have 65 watt yellow bulbs, They look cool not to bad and the light is good, especially in the rain. With a nice set of yellow fogs the rain is easy to see in.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got all yalls beat ( like the accent?) I've been through 19 of those damn sockets and at $6 each it adds up. And I now have 65 watt yellow bulbs, They look cool not to bad and the light is good, especially in the rain. With a nice set of yellow fogs the rain is easy to see in.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yeah lights can be expensive as hell. I really do like the PIAA's on my Projectors. I've replaced more than 6 sets in the course of 5 1/2 months. At about $20 each bulb thats way too much for that length of time. Now I will be parting with the Projectors in an effort to save money on buying my share of bulbs for the remainder fo the year on this damn car. But go with the PIAA and try not to get more than 85 Watt cause it will and can melt everything, if you ownaftermarket lights you will notice a "spider web" appearance on the inside of the lights due to the way the heat sheets off the protoective film on the light it self. For a couple extra dollars get the PIAAs and call it a day. I have the PIAA 85 Watt on my Fogs and I'm glad to report no problems yet. (going on 3 months with bulbs)

------------------
Peter
97 200SX SE-R
PR CAI,JWT ECU,91 CAM,
KYB AGX,EIBACH SPORTLINE,
FSTB, X-DRILLED ROTORS,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I absolutely agree with those of you that have had problems with bulbs-I think I'm the exception to the rule when it comes to lights burning out. The bulbs I have have been in the car since December, and I have had no problems. However, I did use a little "electronic parts cleaner"on the connectors before I installed the bulbs-Maybe that's why I haven't had much trouble because the connection(s) are as clean as they can be for accurate wattage;who knows? Those 45W/65W or 55W/65W bulbs are DOT legal-In other words, you won't fry your wiring because they draw the same current as stock(just not as bright as 80W or 90W, though)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey EriK, I'm curious-Did you end up buying those PIAA's? What did they "stick" you for them?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris:
Hey EriK, I'm curious-Did you end up buying those PIAA's? What did they "stick" you for them?</font>
Chris,
To be honest the answers I received here have changed my mind against it. I'm sure they look better, but for 70 bux or so 'better'is not enough. I have the Sylvania Cool Blues in my Maxima and like the clean bright look. I think I'll save the money and get them. I did buy a set of PIAA 100OX lights at Speedworld.com for much cheaper than my local stores. Thanks for all who posted on this topic.
Erik

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Was it because of people having problems with the stock wiring frying? Or was it having to replace bulbs every so often? If you get anything on those bulbs, they heat up and then-Blow up! Not that I'm saying anyone was careless with installing these, but it could have contributed for some of the blowouts. Good luck with the Cool Blue bulbs, you shouldn't have any trouble...

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
the stock lights in my sentra were terrible at night, so i went to wal-mart and picked up some set of wannabe blue lights for liek 16 bucks, and they are bright as a mofo. i get high beamed by everyone out in the country and i have my lights on low beam! now i just flip on the extra 55 watts that i have with my foglights (not stock either) and blind people back.

------------------
featured your se-r or other car on my site!
http://www.geocities.com/myfastser/

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, has anyone tried upgrading the wiring harnesses on their cars with, say 10-12 guage wiring and some fuse blocks? I'm thinking of ordering a heavy-guage wiring upgrade from an SUV warehouse for 35$ that has all that stuff I mentioned before. It would seem the more juice I get to my lights, the brighter they are, and the less chance I have at frying soemthing1 the best part is: the "kit" has it arranged so nothing needs to be "hacked up" for this install-just a few ground wires,etc. What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts