SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
VVL - Very Very Loud™
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this has been bothering me for almost a year now. I have a Primera engine, and still dont know if its a higher compression one, or same as my old one.

I have heard just about every side of the story of which are high compression, and which are the same as US ones.

Here is what I have heard from different people.

* the auto ones are high compression
* the auto ones are low compression
* all gold colored VC is high compression
* all are high comression

here is what I have heard...and I am more puzzled than I was when I started thinking about this. Again, I have an engine from an auto, and has the all gold colored VC.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

------------------
Serban Gavrilescu
91 Black Metallic SE-R
http://www.geocities.com/serban91r

·
Registered
883 Posts
Well, i dont know the answer, but cant you run a compression check/test? That would answer it for you, right?

------------------

Kris94G20™
"clears and stickers, the best bang for your buck"
The Beginning.

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sr20:
you can not tell displacement from a compression test.</font>

Really? wow, ill keep that in mind when there is a post on displacment.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
A compression test will not tell you the compression ratio. You would need to cc the head and calculate the swept volume of the piston (displacement) to determine the compression ratio. A compression test will tell you how hard things are being squeezed and if you car is healthy.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
where is the best place to order a primera engine? and is the engine all you need to do a swap, in say, an NX2000?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Registered
883 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scarpa:
A compression test will not tell you the compression ratio. You would need to cc the head and calculate the swept volume of the piston (displacement) to determine the compression ratio. A compression test will tell you how hard things are being squeezed and if you car is healthy. </font>
Well, in doing that, couldnt you compare those results, wit the results of a US SR20DE, and figure what sup?

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
im going to give you something that i sent to the se-r list :

Hey guys i know im bringing up an old thread but i think someone of you who are getting ready to order an engine might be intrested. This morning i Called both places Watnabe and Soko ( i had to call Watanabe a few times to get someone i could understand) here are the numbers i came out with: K. WATANABE : Engine 350.00 ,Core Charge 50.00 Shipping 300.00 (to nc)(i have to send my engine back also) Total of 650.00
SOKO : Engine 550.00 Shipping 100.00 Total 650.00
Seeing how they are both the same price i would go with Soko. i have heard nothing but good things about their engines. Wanatanabe i heard a few good things shadowed by bad things. Well i hope this helps somone in the purchase of their engine

[note: The Sales guy at soko asked me if i was a certified mechanic about 100 times, and he said if i do the installation there is no warrenty] So he said he would make sure i get the best engine they had

Soko.com
Midwest 1-800-338-7656

www.KWCengine.com ;watanabe
TOLL FREE: 1-888-592-3644

I hope that helps

------------------
-Dennis w/ 91 Classic DET, Tokiko, Eibach and some more SE-Rious Goodies
http://www.geocities.com/averex2k/dennis/dennis.htm
Or Vist the Biggest Collection os SE-R's on the WEB: if you want you pic added, email me :)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1757993&a=13556536&f=0&sp=1&showall=true

1 - 12 of 12 Posts