SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
VVL - Very Very Loud™
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know if those rubber spring seats are something i need to have, I will change my springs and struts today, and some of them are either torn, or not there, and i used a piece of hose and put it around the first coil on the top and bottom. will this work ok, do i even need em? let me know soon, so i can get started.

thanks

------------------
Serban Gavrilescu
91 Black Metallic SE-R
146.5hp & 131.6lb-ft torque

Serban's SE-R Page

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm pretty sure you need something there. A pirce of cut hose would probably work. If you have nothing there, it would be metal to metal contact and I don't think that would be good.

I don't know if the rubber is necessary to keep the springs in place or not.

When I changed my springs, the rubber was still in decent shape. I believe two of the pieces had small holes in them, but that was it.

Ben
'93 NX

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
When i did my struts i can tell you that my springs seats were ok. Some had a small crack but they were what i think is reusable. I can tell you that they are there so that the spring doesnt grind into the struts and strip the paint and rust... not to mention im sure it would make a nasty clunking noise on bumbs without them.. As for using a garden hose? i would stay away from that.. duct tape would work much better! J/K do what you want but i would have ordered new ones if mine were screwed up. BTW i would also order new boots for the rear. My front ones were fine.. so i reused this seems common so it is likely with your's too.

·
Registered
497 Posts
No I don't think you have to keep them, but I would. They are there to insulate and prevent squeeks and other sounds. (there would be metal to metal contact without them.)

Best-o-luck

------------------
91 Aztec Red Sentra SE-R

·
VVL - Very Very Loud™
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the seats are $16 each from the dealer, i need at least 4, thats over $60, on one of the fronts i used some heater hose that you buy by the foot at Auto Zone, and its holding up so far. well, i will see what i can do, but i guess i want to put something there, dont want to have the spring coming off the strut or anything

·
SR20DE Driver
151 Posts
Yes you do need them, they keep the spring from rotating around as well as padding it from the strut. Sounds to me like you did most of the suspension right so why stop now and just rig something up??

·
Registered
497 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tunez:
Yes you do need them, they keep the spring from rotating around as well as padding it from the strut. Sounds to me like you did most of the suspension right so why stop now and just rig something up??</font>
I agree with you on the part about doing it right. However the upper and lower spring mounts have indentations in them so that the spring rests in them. If you have your struts with little or no camber, I don't see how the springs could rotate. They are compressed, I would think that pressure would hold them in. Still though who wants a squeeky a$$ ride? Right Tunez???

·
Registered
201 Posts
If the stock rubber seats are torn, you could try to use some silicone sealant to fill the holes or cracks in. I know that a lot of people use this on the GC setup to keep it from making noises, so it should apply here as well. A tube of the sealant should be pretty cheap at any auto parts store.

Ben
'93 NX

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, you need them. They also serve as the bump-stops for the suspension. Without them on our already suspension travel limited cars you will surely, at some time, exceed the stock suspension travel. You could theoretically replace them with the Koni bump-rubbers from Motivational Engineering. But they are likely to cost more. And they work best in conjunction with the stock bump-stops. So we're right back were we started.

The bump-stops act in a sense as secondary springs. If you use another material to replace the bump-stops you are essentially changing the total spring-rate of your car with unknown consequences. Most reputable spring manufacturers calculate the total spring rate with the OEM bump-stops.

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
Yes you do need them. I put mine in the wrong way and I got a clanking noise when I turned to the right. It would pop once and then stop. It would only pop when I had the wheel directly center after I turned it either way. So I really believe you need them.Good luck

Mark Merliss
97 SR20 SE-R(Pacific sun blue)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts