SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at 65 mph my car's tach is at 3000. Is that normal for an automatic with overdrive?? Is it because these engines rev higher? My buick somerset is at 3000 at 75, and it does not have overdrive. So i'm curious. it sounds like most of you have 5 speeds, but any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
it all has to do with gearing, final drive, ect. my buddy had a 68 camaro with a muncie 4 speed and a 4.11 rear end and topped out around 50 mph, under normal driving conditions that is, racing it would do around 130, really was set up for 1/8 mile, but would pull a high 11 in the 1/4 straight motor :)

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Oh yay another auto owner. Weird your car shouldnt be that high on the tach at 65. We should have the exact same tranny and mine is around 2500 at 65 and if I remember correctly a little under 3000 at 70 I think. I cruise to school at 70 most of the times and its below 3000. Weird

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
What size tires are you using? Tire diameter will affect the final drive ratio. Larger tires will make fewer revolutions over a given distance. Smaller tires more.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now i'm worried. It could be that the speedometer is off a bit. But I hope its not something like the trany dosen't use 4th. That would suck.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
You can tell if you are in third or fourth by when you are cruising down the highway, downshift to third and see if your revs change. Easy :)

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Could be the tire/wheel combo. Could be the speedo wearing out and not reading correctly. Yea try driving with the Over drive on at like 50 then push the button and it should go up about 1000 rpm's or so dont know exactly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the tires are the right size. So maybe the speed/tach-ometer are off. Could it still be a trans problem??

·
Registered
92 Posts
This has nothing to do with the NX, but I really loved the 5th element, Corben. That movied rocked because of its difference, looks as though you liked it too.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah great movie. I like things that are not main stream. (Probably explains why I'm not a Honda clone, and i drive an NX.)

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well on the way to the convention me and Larry MacCloud did a bit of checking. Both of us on stock size tires we checked speedos and tachs. Im a few off on speedo or his is but thats to be expected cause most all speedo's are off as much as 5%. I was cruising at 70 at 3000 almost on the nose. he was at like 3500. difference in the 5 speed to be the blame. gearing closer on it. I still dont know why yours is reving that high in overdrive. could maybe be clutches slipping i dont know just brainstorming for ideas here.

G

·
Maybe the torque convertor lockup solenoid is not engaging...? In other words, maybe your torque convertor is always unlocked (therefore there is slippage between the engine/tranny, allowing more rpm for a given mph). Just guessing...

To test this, get up to crusing speed, wait a few seconds, then lightly give it more throttle. If the rpms move up independently of the speed of the car (like a manual would if the clutch was pressed halfway down), that's your problem.

G

·
One other thing... maybe there is nothing wrong. Is this something that is different from the way it used to act or not?

Your nx2000 will most likely turn lots more rpm for a given mph than your buick b/c the nx2000 has a 4 cylinder which has less low-end power...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts