SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do the home made motor mounts vibrate the inside of the car/ how to they "feel"?
thanks..

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:
Even if they do, you can modify them to be quieter. I just modified my rear insulator ES inserts and it worked.
I got rid of about 90% of the noise and
</font>
You pussy!!! Who cares about a little rattling and vibration? God, I cant wait till I get mounts. Car sounds so mean when it rattles like that!! Did you hear Kierans car at SF?! Those are the Place Racing mounts, the most harsh. The ones i'm getting too, hehe.

------------------
Ryan Walsh...1st 97 owner ever to succesfully mount a 98SE exhaust to a 97SER!
relaxing after a quiet ride home from SF2K1. first day without an exhaust in a long time.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RPWSER:
You pussy!!! Who cares about a little rattling and vibration? God, I cant wait till I get mounts. Car sounds so mean when it rattles like that!! Did you hear Kierans car at SF?! Those are the Place Racing mounts, the most harsh. The ones i'm getting too, hehe.
</font>
If you haven't bought a set, I'm selling my PRI mounts. =) Only had them on for about a month. Ended up getting some ES inserts for free... heh.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RPWSER:

</font>
Wanna buy my PR mounts? I'm serious. I'm pouring my own and will be selling the existing set. You can have two sets since you like them so much.

They shook my car apart and it drives like a POS domestic. rattle rattle, shake shake.

I gotta go through the whole damned car and tighten it up.

[This message has been edited by Jay Hass (edited 02-21-2001).]

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I used the "hard" stuff, the 94 shore stuff and I LOVE them. Makes the car feel so sweet. With the JWT clutch and smooth power from the small turbo, the car is just a SMOOOOOOTH pocket rocket. I highly recommend the flexane stuff from McMaster-Carr. So easy to do.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

·
Registered
194 Posts
hey jacen99se, you said you modified you ES rear mount, how? I did the ES mounts front and rear only, but at 3900-5500 rpm's it does get pretty noisy! And I've had to use a dynamat material for the ashtray, and glove box to lighten up on the vibrating. I've been trying to find a way to quiet it alittle. The only thing I could think of was to make the area around the rear mount alittle more dense/more mass. Which should equate into less noise. Please, please your wisdom :)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Here is how I modified the rear insulator ES inserts:
They have three 'fingers': 2 small and one large. The large one is the one that prevents most of the motion. You want to make the insert THINNER on the half OPPOSITE the large finger. I used a dremel with the sandpaper-around-cardboard attachment on the back (the flat part). (wear gloves and safety glasses, the urethane comes off really hot). I didn't measure how much I took off. Probably around 3/8". You'll have to decide how much material to remove. Remember you can always remove more later.

I also drilled a small hole ( <1/4")through the center of the large finger.

Both of these things are designed to allow a little motion in the mount, which absorbs the sound and vibration.

It's not quiet like stock though. Its just not really annoying (droning) on the highway. I don't cruise at 3900+ rpm so I can't say what keeping the throttle there is like. The vibration above 4000rpm helps rev matching

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Guys

You do not need more than the ES inserts for the front and the rear mounts. You do not need the sides. The sides are fine. When I went to the road course last year, I busted the front dog bone mount in four track events. It is junk. You also need to replace the control arm bushings. I busted one of these also. They are junk as well. If you want less vibration the DO NOT use the ES passanger and tranny bushings. That will make the car more liveable as a daily driver.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
I drive a race car again!
1,370 Posts
Hey Ben (our anyone else) how did you mix the McMaster urethane? It says to do it by weight, but I don't have a scale that accurate. I think Bill the Arcstarter did it by volume. I just got mine on UPS (amazing, I ordered it yesterday at 5:30pm online and it's here in Indy the next afternoon via UPS Ground from Elmhurst, IL). Did you pull all 4 mounts at once? I'm a little hesitant in taking them all off and having something shift or torque itself and be a bitch to get back together. I was planning on taking off just two at a time and doing them in pairs. But if I don't do them all at once I'm concerned about mixing in the right quantities for two batches. Suggestions?

·
Registered
117 Posts
bump bump i want an answer to that question, im kinda afraid to do all 4 at once too. Also i think ive got liquid in one of mine what do i do about that?

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Synx,

Just get the front and rear ES motor mount inserts and you are set to go. Even though I road race my SE-R, I still use the front and the rear inserts only. I have not used the tranny mount inserts nor the passanger side one. The passenger side stock mount is the one that is liquid filled. Just keep that stock and you will be fine.

·
Old
744 Posts
Ever since I put the tranny insert in, my car rattles so bad that people will look at it as they walk by and wonder whats wrong. It's only at idle and my idle is really steady. Just happens since I put the ghetto grill in, its not too tight.
Anyone elses sunroof rattle like a b*tch?:D

·
Registered
844 Posts
but chicks dig the vibration! j/k
my sunroof just started rattling. something came loose up there.
:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
My sunroof shade rattles ifI have the sunroof closed, and the shade open.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
thing is naji is the urathane is cheaper than the es inserts. not to mention a lot easier to get that rear mount back in after you fill them up. you can do all the mounts with the stuff alot cheaper than the inserts. while the es is plug and play, car is only down for like an hour, the pour is alot easier. You can make them as stiff or stiffer as well.... But oh well....

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Chrissy said:
Ever since I put the tranny insert in, my car rattles so bad that people will look at it as they walk by and wonder whats wrong. It's only at idle and my idle is really steady. Just happens since I put the ghetto grill in, its not too tight.
Anyone elses sunroof rattle like a b*tch?:D
I had the same thing happen to me when I installed the tranny inserts. I immediately removed it. The tranny and passenger side inserts are really not needed. The SE-R engine rocks back and forth, not side to side. Front and rear inserts are the ones you need.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Okay, so now im convinced, where do i buy em and for how much do ya think they go?

·
SE-R?
327 Posts
RollcageSR20 said:

If you haven't bought a set, I'm selling my PRI mounts. =) Only had them on for about a month. Ended up getting some ES inserts for free... heh.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
make an offer...I might buy them..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts