SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LMs, I have gotten incontact with Mike Saiki (sp?) of Motivational. He's willing to fabricate a rear STB for the NX2000/1600.
We've taken measurements, and when finished there will be minmal cutting on your part.

The estimated cost per STB will be around $150.00 Which makes it about as the same price as the average front STB.

NOW, what I need to know is, how many of want one?
Also, before Mike can start, we will have to have at least 10 peeps willing to put down a deposit of $75.00 each, in order to get things going.

Mike is serius about this. But he'll need to see someSERious interest, before beginning.

------------------
Thomas Fox
93 NX2000

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
"same price as the average front STB"

What crack are you on
. Thats crazy for a front stb. I paid i think 25 for mine or so from Eric. But seriously the courtsey stb is what 75 bucks? Has anyone tried using a front stb, either whole or in part, on the rear? Id check myself if I had one.

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Thats crazy for a front stb.</font>
No it's not. I've seen a number of the "cheaper" STB's. And I wasn't impressed with the construction quality, or rathewr lack of.
I've noticed that with the "cheaper" STB's the plate that bolts to the strut tower is made out of stamped steel. They will flex quite a bit. In fact, the next time you see one, go up and try pushing down on the STB. Watch the end plates flex. A well made STB will have minimal flex, if any.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">But seriously the courtsey stb is what 75 bucks?</font>
This is a start up project. So as with any new project the price will be high initially. If Mike Saiki can get enough orders over time the price will come down.
Also, remeber that Mike makes a quality piece. Each Rear STB will be hand made by him. The end that willl actually be bolted to the strut tower will be machined piecs, NOT stamped.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Has anyone tried using a front stb, either whole or in part, on the rear? Id check myself if I had one.</font>
The front STB WILL NOT work in the rear. The distance between the rear strut towers of the NX2000/1600 is MUCH greater than the distance between the front strut towers.

Finally, if you don't want one. You don't have to buy one. Just don't BITCH about how honduhs have all the aftermarket support, and we have almost none.

------------------
Thomas Fox
93 NX2000

[This message has been edited by Subculture (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What I would do is buy one, use the end plates and the linkage</font>
Won't work. Mike Saiki and I tried that first, as a way of keeping costs down. Unfortunately, the the bolt pattern for the rear strut towers, is smaller than that of the front. Also, we're trying make it so the rear STB will fit underneath the rear shelf.

------------------
Thomas Fox
93 NX2000

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well I think 150 is a bit much. I understand the buisness model and all, and the r&d that will go into it but hell its not that much. there probaly wont be but 20-50 bucks in materials I bet if they use some really high quality stuff.

Pat has designs for the ends on his website. Only thing I would do different is not turn up a tab but weld stand ups to bolt the bar into.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Quality? My bar doesnt flex, and I am on it quite a bit. My big burly self(300+lbs) never able to flex it down. I tugged and did all kinds of things. My bar doesnt have stamped ends Im pretty sure. Its different than the courtsey bar. What I would do is buy one, use the end plates and the linkage then fab up a bar in between. Probaly 75 bucks incudeing a new bar.

As for aftermarket, im not bitching. Hell cusco makes a rear stb for b13s. It just doesnt fit a classic and requires cutting on an nx i think. If you feel 150 is worth it, then buy it. But the benifits of a rear stb are very minimumal. Most people say the only way you can tell the difference is driving at almost 10/10ths. If its the look....then you are buying $tealin front bars already

I want to do one for mine. But going to build it myself. Figure why not do it for the fun of it. And going to be much cheaper.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I sure would like one for a B13

------------------
93 SE-R JWT S3 Cams, JWT ECU, JWT Pop-Charger, HS Header,RT Cat, HKS exhaust, Hypercoils, KYB-AGX, ST Sways, N-Tech Brace, SMC SS.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
If you dont mind cutting one can be made pretty easily. You just have to cut out a little bit where the bar can get to the strut tops. Not cutting requires a little innovation. There is a path behind the back seat you can route it. Pat G. has the details on his website.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ho ho - Gotta love the SR20 camp.

Only there will you find people arguing over a $150 STB.

The STB for my ///M Roadster was $350 and its the cheapest (and best) I could get. Dinan sells one for $450 but Dinan=$tillen in the S54 camp. The rear STB I got was $400.

My bitch (and the only legit one to my mind) is - How can BMW sell a sports car w/o a STB? I expect it from the domestics but on a $50K Bimmer? c'mon. The car rules tho 315 hp 0-60 in 4.5 sec 13.X sec 1/4s out of the box
///MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM flip it and drift

I have a rear STB on my turbo NX so if you need any measurements...

I need a rear STB for my junker NX and would be glad to help.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the offer Carl. At the moment I think we have enough measurments to start with. I'm just waiting for Mike to give me the word so we can get the final measurments.

------------------
Thomas Fox
93 NX2000

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bowlcut,

Thanks for the link. The machining required goes way past my skill and tooling. I'm surprised there is no commercial offering for a rear STB for both the 91-94 SE-R and NX? It would appear there is quite a market.

------------------
93 SE-R JWT S3 Cams, JWT ECU, JWT Pop-Charger, HS Header,RT Cat, HKS exhaust, Hypercoils, KYB-AGX, ST Sways, N-Tech Brace, SMC SS.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm surprised there is no commercial offering for a rear STB for both the 91-94 SE-R and NX? It would appear there is quite a market.</font>
Which is what I'm trying to work on.

------------------
Thomas Fox
93 NX2000

·
Registered
521 Posts
Count me in if you can get enough people together.

------------------
1991 NX2000 W/SR20DET SWAP,HKS INTAKE,3" EXHUAST,E.S. BUSHINGS AND MOUNTS.

NX 1600 INTAKE,AND EXHUAST

1 - 20 of 31 Posts