SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
man, was playing with the car today and had a vision. if you have a 98 se or an se-r with a stb and rubs (if it dosent, its a miracle) here is what you can do to keep it from rubbing. (kinda ghetto, but hey, I'm from TX). what you need to do is get a basic hammer and a towel, and where it rubs, wrap the head of the hammer with the towel, and tap up about 1/8 to 1/4 inch where it rubs. you know, where there is no paint there anyways. not that big of a deal and keeps it from rubbing, unless you miss of course (I did'nt, used to frame houses, good with a hammer) :)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
What rubbing? I have no idea what you're talking about... please tell me/us what rubbing you are refering to

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what?????????????????????????????????? I know of at least 5 people that have the stb in the d/fw metroplex area alone that theirs rubs besides mine. the stb rubs on the hood where the little crossmember thingies (kinda cheezy way to say it, but the only way I can think of) to make the hood stronger. it rubs usually on the right and middle ones, where all of the extra emissions crap is. oh well, if yours does not rub, I would not bust out the hammer :)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Oh, STB, yup, I'm on crack. :)
I don't have one so I guess that's why it didn't make that much sense to me. :) Which brand stb do you have? I thought the Ractive one was the only front one that fit 98s+ in the front. That seems pretty simple compared to what Naji did. Check out his install at www.geocities.com/n_dahi and see if that compares at all to what you did.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would do the welding thing, but do not really have the time, plus I would not trust anyone welding on anything of mine, unless it is me (I took a welding class, remember I'm from TX) I am not sure what kind I have on mine, it is a generic one though, I think I paid like 70 bux for it. I know the owner of a shop pretty close to here and want to go down there to see if they have one that will bend around the emissions crap on the manifold, like a stb on the turbo imprezas

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, I messed with it and it is rubbing again :-( I might just take it off, unless I can find one that will fit right :) oh well, I will try to make it down to the shop sometime this week or next weekend. I will keep you posted, like I do on everthing, oh, btw I ate 4 complete meals today, they were.......jk :)

G

·
0 Posts
My STB doesn't rub at all. It's the
Lightning Motorsports STB. It sits closer to the front, not on top of the OBD crap.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lucky you, I do not have on on my car anymore b/c it annoyed me so much. oh well, I guess I will try to see if the ones we have now will fit?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Last_SER,

Can you give me a web site address, or phone number for Lighting Motorsports? I'm always interested in worthy alternatives to the expensive mainstream.

Thank you,
Bman

G

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure what their website address is. I tried www.lightningmotorsports.com and I could not find the STB. The site looks different than the original one I saw 4 months ago.

Your best bet is to search the SE-R list archive at http://www.se-r-list.org But search for lightnin motorsports (without the G) Someone spelled it wrong once, but everyone replied to that original message. I'll see If I can dig up a receipt in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Well a cheap fix for rubbing would be to shim your hood with some washers. That should solve the problem 'till you find a better fitting STB.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
When i modified the Courtesy STB to fit my 98 there were no STBs out there for the 98+. Since then, the Lightnin seems to fit according to many people who tried it. So it does not make sense to go through my process.

UR 4-Pulleys, Volk TE-37/Potenza RE-71 205/50ZR15.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya, you did go through alot of trouble doing that, and I still need to go out and see if I can get another bar to fit around the junk on top :) I will try to see if we can get some made for the 98+ soon, so I will post on what I find out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts