SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
SE-R Bastard
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does your paint fade easily? After a good buffing, my paint will fade out in about 1 month. It actually almost looks grey. Is it just me? This is mainly on the roof, hood & trunk.

-Kris

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
Yes it does....Mines does too...No, it's not just you...hood and trunk....it gets real cloudy looking...gotta clay bar it and repolish and wax. I need a car cover..!

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
Yeah, my car pretty much is super gray. You forgot to mention the tops of the doors. After waxing, my car turns gray again the first time I roll through a car wash. It looks really bad.

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
I was starting to think it has something to do with the car wash used...cause after like 2 washes it starts looking grey again...

·
SE-R Bastard
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe this is some factory defect then. No recalls? Maybe we can get some free paint jobs.

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
Good luck....I think paint and body are only covered for like 3000 miles

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
no, but Nissan will be pretty much unwilling to help you. I work for a dealership, and have never seen paint be coverd under warranty. oh btw, my car is black, but I got tired of buffing it, so I don't even wash it anymore.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Same here fellas, just look at the first pic in the sig, ugh. I swear, I washed it once before I went to the track, when I came out the next day, it looks like I hadnt touched it! :mad:

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Exact same problems here. The worst spots is the trunk and roof around the sunroof area. Faded. The hood looks bad in angles too. I think Nissan ****ed up all their superblacks cause everyone I've seen never looks good unless it's been garaged.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
My car is faded around the sunroof and around the washer jets. Ive had the car buffed twice, and it doesn't look that bad. I usually wax the car each time I wash it. I use the 3 step Meguires method with my orbital buffer about 4 times a year. I constantly clean it off with a car duster. I'm going to try some habd glaze to see if I can get the grey areas looking black again.

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
What car wash soap are you guys using out of curiousity...?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've got a 4 month old black SE-R...last time I cleaned it was 4 weeks ago. Its not clean now but it stayed cleaned for bout a week. I don't have spots fading like everyone else does though.

I agree that the trunk and hood are hard to get to that shiny point but isn't it like that with all black cars for some reason :confused:

My previous car was black too and it was the same thing. Damn spoiler was a bitch to get shiny :mad:
I'm kinda with Brian on this point too...We wash it then it gets dirty pretty quick again. I did that with my last car...i just stopped washin it cuz it was always gettin dirty.

But hey at least we ain't got white 200sx (no hard feelings fellow White SE-R :D)...White cars get dirty the fastest i think. Got a mazda protege that is white and in a hour that damn car is dirty again without even driving it :mad:

damn global warming!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
SE-R Bastard
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would rather have white anyday. My talon is white. I've owned it 2 years and have never buffed or waxed it. Still shines like a MOFO. I will never own a black car after this experience. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BUFF THE DAMN CAR EVERY MONTH. It's just not right. Think next year I may repaint the car silver or something.

BTW I usually use Armor All car wash.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
My '93 is now 8 years young, with 150,039 miles on it. The paint looks fabulous. Sure, there's some rock chips and the like.

My secret?

Meguiar's Paint Cleaner (also known as Clear Coat Body Scrub). This cleans EVERYTHING out of and on top of the paint. Strips it clean. It's a wipe-on, wipe-off kinda deal. After doing that to the entire car, then wax with Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnuba Wax.

Pretty as a picture.

I do this at least 4x a year.

I have invested a small FORTUNE in finding out what works well for black cars, over the last 8 years. 2 of my 3 cars are black. The Meguiar's stuff works very, VERY well on all three cars (one is dark green, btw).

Yes, it grays up eventually. That is nothing but dirt and gunk on top of the paint. Washing won't get that out. Buffing it with a compound will only grind it back in there. But after doing the above-mentioned routine, it is practically brand new-looking, IMHO.

The car may 'look' clean, but I guarantee after using the paint cleaner, the towel you use to wipe off with will almost be black itself. Which is dirt you cannot see hiding in the paint.
You're never going to get the old bugs and parking lot dings out of it, but with some elbow grease, you CAN make Super Black look good. It just takes some work.

JMHO.

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll have to try this stuff...

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I have some of that stuff, and I didn't think it worked too well. I'll try it again though. The best wax for black cars that I have tried is the Gold Class wax from Meguires. I also bought some Turtle Wax color magic, and it does a good job on scratches. It came with a lipstick looking thing that hides chip marks. My hood looked really bad, but now you can hardly see any of the chips in it. :)

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
The color magic works very good, but also doesnt seem to last very long...I guess I need to hit it with 18 layers of Carnuba wax afterwards!

·
JDM style
1,091 Posts
my paint is ****.. its like one coat.. every rock chip i have shows bare metal under it

i dont even feel like washing my car anymore, its covered with chips... everywhere
it sucks

i was thinking of getting it painted the stock paint on a black rsx type-s .. my friend has it in black and it has small blue sparkles in it.. i figure since its a stock color, the paint shouldnt cost too much

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
That sucks.try driving farther behind trucks and semis....gravel and cement trucks suck big time

1 - 20 of 26 Posts