SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Im a Reckless Driver.
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a pair of 12" Alpine Type-R subwoofers for my daily driver.
I have a soundstream amp but its powering 2 8 inch rockfords and its pretty shitty. I heard that underpowering subs are worse then overpowering them so im in the market for a BANG FOR THE BUCK amp that will power my subs.

The specs on the subs are:
2005 ALPINE SWR-1242D Type R 12" DVC SUBWOOFER
Impedance 4 + 4 Ohms
Dual Voice Coil:
Power Handling: 500 watts RMS, 1500 watts peak
Kevlar reinforced pulp
Rubber Surround Material
Custom cast aluminum frame with integrated perimeter venting and heat transfer plate
Frequency Response: 24 Hz - 500 Hz
Sensitivity: 87 dB
Mounting Depth: 8"
Sealed Box Volume: 0.7 - 1.0 cubic ft
Ported Box Volume: 0.75 - 1.75 cubic ft

MY headunit is a JVC 45x4, and an equalizer.

Im not very audio smart and im having a freind doing all the installing, but im looking for the BEST bang for the BUCK amp.

Any suggestions?

·
keeps on going
379 Posts
underpowering a sub will only hurt your subs if it sends out a clipped signal and that will only happen if u push ur amp harder than it can handle. For example, if your music doesnt seem to be bassy enough, if you crank the volume up to high, your amp will send out a more powerful signal but it will be a dirty signal causing the voice coils in the sub to overload with heat and melt together because they are essentially playing a square wave as apposed to curvy waves (sin, etc). so if u dont push the amp beyond its limit ur fine. after all turning down the volume is underpowering the subs too.

·
Im a Reckless Driver.
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pwr2max said:
underpowering a sub will only hurt your subs if it sends out a clipped signal and that will only happen if u push ur amp harder than it can handle. For example, if your music doesnt seem to be bassy enough, if you crank the volume up to high, your amp will send out a more powerful signal but it will be a dirty signal causing the voice coils in the sub to overload with heat and melt together because they are essentially playing a square wave as apposed to curvy waves (sin, etc). so if u dont push the amp beyond its limit ur fine. after all turning down the volume is underpowering the subs too.
Nice post.

The max im willing to spend is around $200 (student budget)

·
Registered
36 Posts
this ain't my name brand of choice, but i used to own one when i was on a budget.
what ur askin' for is budget, so i can suggest an amp brand that isn't that popular, but will give u the power u need.

PowerAcoustik A1800DB 1800 Watts Class D Series Amplifier
$240 or less...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts