SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Automatic 92 NX 2000 is now a manual 92 NX 2000. It was alot of work. Right now i'm 99.9% done, i'm having some trouble getting the passenger side axle back in. It's in almost all the way in, but still has about a 1/4in. to go. Anyone know a trick to get it in???? I checked the se-r list archives but counldn't find much.

More about the swap:
If anyone is thinging about doing a swap like this feel free to email me w/ any questions. Like I said it's alot of work and everything is still fresh in my head. The swap was fairly easy, but there was some trial and error with a few of the motor mounts and getting it started again. Mounting the clutch petal was tricky as well. Here's what I had to buy:

Tranny - $150 used +
$60 shipping from FL
Flywheel - $60 used
Shifter, linkage, clutch cable, clutch petal, brake petal - $130 used
clutch kit - $200 new
-------------------------
TOTAL - $600

I bought everything online from se-r listmembers or the se-r.net classifieds(execpt the clutch). My old auto tranny parts are for sale:
Tranny and shifter (shifter cable is F*&#ed up)

Josh Higgins
91 SE-R
92 NX

·
Registered
466 Posts
Question though, the auto cas only had 3 motor mounts while the manual car had 4. DId you buy the "dog bone" mount? I didn't see it on your list, that's why I ask. As far as the axle goes, do you have the 3 bolts on the carrier bearing tight? Those will push the axle into the tranny.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i didn't get the extra mount. My crossmember doesn't even have a spot for it. On a manual, the transmission motor mount (drivers side) is different too. The mount for a manual is thicker. I should of bought a new mount there but instead I used my original mount for my auto trany and just moved the motor mount back about a 3/4inch on the frame. I welded the motor mount bracket to the frame in its new location, it seems pretty stout.

About the axle, the carrier bearing is the piece about half way down the pass axle, it has a bracket that also bolts to the engine, right??? I removed the three bolts from this bracket that holds the carrier bearing on the engine. Now, I can't get these back in because the alxe isn't in all the way. Did that make sense?? I'm gonna try to just pound it in w/ a hammer when I get home, wish me luck.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You need to find a cross memeber with the mount. The motor moves a lot with out that mount. I'm not sure why the auto doesn't, but it may be the lack of power

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lack of power, haha! ;-) . yeah that sounds about right. I'll have to wait and see how the motor looks. I welded my rear motor mount solid a while back so I'll see how that holds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts