SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what does everyone here run on your 240 for auto-x. stuff like, suspension, tire pressure, size of rims, etc. i've only raced my b15 but now its gone and i have a 240. thanks

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
lee_harvey said:
what does everyone here run on your 240 for auto-x. stuff like, suspension, tire pressure, size of rims, etc. i've only raced my b15 but now its gone and i have a 240. thanks
Can't say because it's not my bag. However, IMO the 240 looks like a cartoon car with anything bigger than 16 inch wheels. Keep in mind that's just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree. I just prefer the look and ride of a taller sidewall.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got a set of TSW 17" with 40's on it. but i plan to use 15" for raceing. The 17's i got for $300, rims and tires. kinda too good to pass up.:D

·
Registered
216 Posts
with my 98 i ran some poopy michilens all weathers... i ran sts in the solo 2 in the rocky mountain region scca, i was pretty fast for being stock except for intake.. you'll be surpised at how well that car performs.. my sugestion is if the car is old replace the bushing.. bad bushings= sloppy suspension, also for auto-x use stay away from tein, great street coilover but doesnt have the "stuff" to hack on auto-x corse :) jsut build with like ground controls and some konis... also i think the front has a slight issue with new shocks that are manualy adjustable.. the shock sleeve has to be cut in order to fit.. i will look around for more info on this ( a very respected 240sx guru from utah told me this at my frist auto-x ) anyways i hoped i helped some.. if ya need any pointers or anything PM me ( i've got a year of auto-xing a 240 under my belt :) so more than happy to help )

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after my swap i'll be in SM :( i was looking into coil-overs but i will never adjust the height, so i'm puting on RS*R race springs. the rate is pretty stiff. but i am definitly going with the koni yellow's for the struts. would a front lower tie bar help to correct any understeer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
umm i'm not sure.. i had an s-14 so mine never understeered.. i got the occasional wheel bounce ( shity tires wouldnt grab and hopped while turned.. not the greatest feeling in the world) but 99.9% of my time was oversteer or sheer 10/tenths ( as far as tire grip goes... )

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yah, the s-13 is not as well balanced as the s-14. the understeer is very slight, but its there. how much are the bushings?

·
Registered
288 Posts
lee_harvey said:
yah, the s-13 is not as well balanced as the s-14. the understeer is very slight, but its there. how much are the bushings?
Understeer is a relative term :D hehe.. are you talking stock?? if so, you're right... That can all be tuned out with the right modifications :D My s13 never understeers :D it's either neutral, or too much (which is my term for drifting) :D lol

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Amen to that brother!

Shoes59 said:
IMO the 240 looks like a cartoon car with anything bigger than 16 inch wheels. Keep in mind that's just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree. I just prefer the look and ride of a taller sidewall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Devilstar said:
with my 98 i ran some poopy michilens all weathers... i ran sts in the solo 2 in the rocky mountain region scca, i was pretty fast for being stock except for intake.. you'll be surpised at how well that car performs.. my sugestion is if the car is old replace the bushing.. bad bushings= sloppy suspension, also for auto-x use stay away from tein, great street coilover but doesnt have the "stuff" to hack on auto-x corse :) jsut build with like ground controls and some konis... also i think the front has a slight issue with new shocks that are manualy adjustable.. the shock sleeve has to be cut in order to fit.. i will look around for more info on this ( a very respected 240sx guru from utah told me this at my frist auto-x ) anyways i hoped i helped some.. if ya need any pointers or anything PM me ( i've got a year of auto-xing a 240 under my belt :) so more than happy to help )
Can you please elaborate on what "stuff" teins lack for auto-x? Some models of teins may have really stiff spring rates for drifting, but others, like the type flex or ra are suitable for all-around performance. Theyre adjustable for damping, just as konis and adjustable for height, as ground controls are and in addition, are a true full body coilover as opposed to a coilover sleeve. I've seen/assembled the kyb agx and ground control combo where you use duct tape to fill in the gap between the strut and the adjustable sleeve and i dont see how that could be superior in function to any true coilover. You definitely get a better value in using koni and gc, but i wouldnt say tein doesnt have the "stuff" to hack it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
well also you have to look at the fact that most auto-xers are looking for the best bang for buck for suspesion mods.. when it comes down to it the good teins that are toatly adjustable and are tuned for track use are outragously priced where as the GC and koni set up will run much less then the type flex setup.. also most japanies ( spelling?? its late sorry) suspensions are insanly over adjustable and made for perfectly smooth roads.. we on the other hand happen to be racing in parkinglots that get abused on a regular basis and never maintained.. you need something that is a little more flexable.. i mean if your going to be hiiting the accutly race track then yes go for something like then teins, jsut for autocross use and ease to adjust on the fly with out having to worry about 16 differant settings compared to 5 then i would say go for the GC and konis, i dont have anything agaisnt spending big bucks on the tein just not too cost effective for a sometime track car most of the time street car

P.S. i am not sure but i think if something on the coilover breaks you'd have to order it from japan on the teins where as with the konis or GC you can order it from right here in the states minimizing down time and shipping costs...

P.S.S. sorry i have such crappy spelling and all its really late and my mind isnt working right at the moment...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Devilstar said:
well also you have to look at the fact that most auto-xers are looking for the best bang for buck for suspesion mods.. when it comes down to it the good teins that are toatly adjustable and are tuned for track use are outragously priced where as the GC and koni set up will run much less then the type flex setup.. also most japanies ( spelling?? its late sorry) suspensions are insanly over adjustable and made for perfectly smooth roads.. we on the other hand happen to be racing in parkinglots that get abused on a regular basis and never maintained.. you need something that is a little more flexable.. i mean if your going to be hiiting the accutly race track then yes go for something like then teins, jsut for autocross use and ease to adjust on the fly with out having to worry about 16 differant settings compared to 5 then i would say go for the GC and konis, i dont have anything agaisnt spending big bucks on the tein just not too cost effective for a sometime track car most of the time street car

P.S. i am not sure but i think if something on the coilover breaks you'd have to order it from japan on the teins where as with the konis or GC you can order it from right here in the states minimizing down time and shipping costs...

P.S.S. sorry i have such crappy spelling and all its really late and my mind isnt working right at the moment...
Yes, i definitely agree that koni and GC is definitely better bang for the buck, but in your first post you made it sound like teins arent capable of handling auto-x.

"also for auto-x use stay away from tein, great street coilover but doesnt have the "stuff" to hack on auto-x corse"

That quote is why I posted. Teins definitely have the capability of handling the rigors of auto-x. At this point you probably think I'm trying to sell teins or am brainwashed, but I am neither. I'm simply trying to make a point that is true as far as performance for most quality coilover systems. Your points about cost effectiveness and being able to handle the rigors of auto-x are two different matters. I agree that teins definitely aren't cheap and may not be a great value, but I disagree with you in your generalization that they dont have the "stuff" to hack auto-x.

·
Registered
288 Posts
does anybody besides Koni make a liquid shock/coilover setup for the 240?? I'm not a big fan of air-charged shocks...liquid damped are soo much smoother...and usually have better compression dampning

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Haahaa air shocks? Do you have a 78 Cutlass or something?

NismoB13SE-R said:
not a big fan of air-charged shocks...liquid damped are soo much smoother...and usually have better compression dampning

·
Registered
288 Posts
paNX2K&SE-R said:
Haahaa air shocks? Do you have a 78 Cutlass or something?
gas charged shocks :p same damn thing...and **** man, i'd roll a 78 cutlass with dropshocks :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts