SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this weekend i went to knights stadium to autocross. I was quite nervous but i think i did ok. First day i was doing 46's and the fastest i heard was a 38. I widdled my 46 down to 45.8 by the end of the day. Need i mention that i asked one of the pros to ride with me and tell me how to improve. Then he drove and did a 41! I couldnt even think straight the first day b/c i was so excited. So 2nd day i was trying to improve my times. Well it rained and my first runs were 47.7 seemed which seemed about right. Well by the end of the day i had improved to 44.7! Wow! Faster than the previous day in the dry! So now i want to know what i can do to go faster... i wish to stay in the stock class cause i dont have the money for mods and im enjoying myself alot right now... I also noticed lots of people had competition tires. Can i run these types of tires and stay in the stock class? If so , what are some cheap wheel/tire combos... honestly im thinking 205/50/14 or something similar on the stock rims and some high mileage tires on some kind of old steel rims... i dont want to do this unless i have to .. or maybe some 1.6 200sx 14" for competition and keep my stock rims. Any info is greatly appreciated!

BTW i believe there is another autocross at the merchandise mart i believe around dec 8 or 9.. for more info i go to www.ccrsolo2.org Id love to see an se-r compete

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Here are the stock class rules:
http://www.best.com/~mouton/sccasolo/Rules/stock.html

Competition tires are allowed in stock class - specifically, "DOT legal R-compound" tires. Gummy full slicks like the NASCAR guys used aren't allowed, so you choose from the R-compound range. They have a small amount of tread that mostly scrubs off after use, so they duck under the rules.

Kumho and Hoosier are two common manufacturers of these kinds of tires. The Kumho V700 is probably your first choice for the buck if you want to try R-compound tires.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Since you mentioned Knight's stadium, I suppose you're close to Charlotte. Which "Pro" rode with you?? G.H. Sharp? Rob Faulkner? Rob rode with me very early in my autocross carrer and proved to me that slower is sometimes faster. I was spending too much time in the slow parts because I was trying to go too fast. He singlehandedly knocked over 2 seconds off my best time on a 45 second course and he rode with me one time!!!

Tires: Go with the Kumho V700 in 195/55/14 size. Trust me. It is a very wide 195. It may be only 2-3 mm narrower than the 205/55/14 V700, and it has a shorter sidewall for better gearing. I ran the 195s last year and the 205s this year and I regret the switch.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know if hes a "pro" but he sure was better than me! I think his name was martin, real nice british buy i think he said he was chairman of ccr.

P.S. Any ideas for a second set of wheels? im thinking more se-r wheels or maybe 1.6 200 wheels. If i cant think of anything else that is relatively cheap i might get steel for the street lol Thanks for the advice on 195 vs 205 ill take your advice on 195 kumhos, when i get money and wheels

[This message has been edited by Black93 (edited 10-15-2001).]

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
IMO you shouldn't go out and spend money on race tires unless you plan on doing some serious competetion. The best mod you can make for autocrossing is practice. Go to every event you can, ride with as many people as possible, get as many as possible to ride with you. And do a lot of course walking. They say it's 80% driver, 20% car, and I believe it.

------------------
-=Matt=- 97 SE-R 94,000smiles+, POP, custom 2.25" exhaust, ACT, Shifter, ST sways, AV22VFs (new!)

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know your right but i would like to get competitive. Right now my 185 dunlop d60s are about worn out. So if im not to be real competitive for a while would i be best off with some performance street tires? And yes i do understand about how important the driver is... after seeing a 280zx with cooper tires and an engine that sounded like there were nails bouncing in the combustion chamber be faster ... maybe its more like 95% driver!!

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think his name was martin,</font>
Martin Bartlett. He still driving that Suzuki Swift???

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">P.S. Any ideas for a second set of wheels?</font>
Are you stock or in street prepared/touring? Could just fins another set of stock wheels. Or perhaps some 15" 200SX wheels (which look kick ass on a Classic, BTW). I run some American Racing Type 24 in 14X6 size. Good, light, cheap.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
BTW, I agree with the stay on street tires for a while, perhaps a year. You will learn more. I drove on stickies for a few years, but I'm back to street tires and running in street touring.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep. Is there something in a name?

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
do they have a street tire class in your region? i know around here you can opt to run in a street class which is just for stock cars that have treaded tires (not the kuhmo's or any of that crap) and really nothing done to them. to keep it fair they use a handicap system. no, i'm not talking about street touring either. i know i ran my sentra in it, and managed to win like 2 out of 3 events. it's all about your skills vs the handicap and other drivers, etc. i lost at the region championships because a subaru wrx is more handicapped than my se-r.. wtf?

------------------

representing the plains with a slammed in door, smashed in front end, but still loud and fast, 1991 nissan sentra se-r, and now a sweet looking silver 1988 toyota celica gt-s with more show than go.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">do they have a street tire class in your region?</font>
Three of the clubs in NC (Tarheel SCC, Triad SCC, and Highlands SCC) have a separate street tire class in addition to street touring. This is for anyone who wants to run their street tires instead of R-compound rubber. Cars are indexed according to the pax index to level the playing field (so a Honda can compete with a Z06 and actually win!!)

The 4th club, Central Carolinas Region of the SCCA does not recognize a street tire class. The argument, as I recall, is it's too much work for them to index all the competitors. Yet somehow, 3 independant non-SCCA clubs can do it with ease.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
I Live above Winston Salem and I run events with the Triad SCC and they have a Street Tire class which I run all the time cause I don't have the money to get sticky's.
BLACK93 did the British talking guy have a blue Suzuki Swift that was lowered and had reversed offset aluminium wheels? If so I have talked with him at a few of the Triad SCC events...he is pretty cool.

------------------
91 Classic running 9.6's in 1/8 W/ Header& PR CAI

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep thats the guy... so is anyone going to be at the merchandise mart december 8. Last chance for autox this year!!! i dont know if i can stand NO formula 1 AND NO autocross. for 3 months! Im already having withdrawls

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Black93 We are having our last AutoX on Nov. 4th It is in Winston Salem NC. It would be cool if you could come up here and run. It would be cool to have another SE-R running in our events. here is a link to the Triad SCC. They have a pic of me racing my 91 Classic in there last race @ the Dixie Classic Fair grounds. In the pics. section.
>www.Auto-X.com< Triad SCC

Darren

------------------

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Hey Matt I had seen the pics. from Danville and wandered if the red se-r that was in the pic was on any the se-r mailing list-forum circuit. Nice to put a name with a pic. Car looks nice. Congrats on the 1st place and 2nd in Pax! I have been wanting to go to Danville but always miss that event for some reason or the other. Heard it is a fast track. Amybe you could come to our next event in Winston. It is a good track with a grandstand over looking the track.

Darren

------------------

·
Banned
505 Posts
yeah come on down madd you can watch me wax its311pete in my stock classic hahahaha.
just messin with ya darren...

------------------
91 se-r completely stock
9.93 1/8 mile

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Congrats on the 1st place and 2nd in Pax!</font>
I coned my way out of 1st in Pax on both my last 2 runs. They were over 1 second faster than the run I finished 2nd with

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Heard it is a fast track. Amybe you could
come to our next event in Winston.</font>
I'll be at Carolina Motorsports Park instructing with Triangle Z club that weekend. That's Nov. 4, right? Haven't been to Winston or a Triad event (other than that Danville one) in quite a while. I need to see how the other half live...

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where in Winston Salem is this autocross, how long of a drive is it from charlotte, and most importantly i need directions. I didnt see any directions on the www.auto-x.com site.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts