SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I'm going to give an and let the mechanic change my auto tranny fluid and "screen" or filter as I call it. After several members warn of many mechanics never encountering an auto tranny with VLSD, should I give or warn my mechanic ahead of time? Do you think they will screw it up? Kevin (Mr. Auto-Expert)? Will they lose parts? My brain hurts...

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well most the time the random ******* mechanic can do things like this. I really want to get some hard answers on this. May just have to call Courtsey and just pick the brains of them for a while or something. Cause no one around here actualy has the manuals just go off the computers. Which I have proven wrong before. I would just look for a mechanic or tranny specality shop that has lots of experience, ask and see if they sound intelegent. There are a couple other auto guys I gota pick their brains on soon too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doh, tomorrow is the only day I can schedule my mechanic to do my car. I talked to him and he says that it is rare indeed to have an auto with VLSD, but I think I'm going to send my car to him along with the Chilton manual and all the docs I can find - and also Courtesy's #
Let me know if you guys find out anything new before tonight. Thanks!

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
You should be fine. No reason why your mechanic couldnt do it. Just for me please
ask him how he changed the filter. As how is the filter attached, and if he had to remove the valve body. Need to know of there is a nut or a threaded tap in the valve body to hold the bolt that holds the filter on. Any insites from him will be helpful. He should give you some answers, most mechanics are pretty decent about answering questions.

·
Dreamin' of VVL
791 Posts
Definitely have him answer the questions Bowlcut suggested.

I had my 91 auto serviced at a dealer in CA at 30K. Then I moved here in WA. At 60K I pulled the pan to change the filter and 1 of the bolts for the filter dropped on me
The valve body must be removed to change the filter as it has 2 through bolts on it. I am just damn lucky the loose nut and washer that was sitting up there on top of the valve body stayed put for 30K.

[This message has been edited by johnand (edited 03-21-2001).]

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well Im guessing you are talking about a nonse-r auto 91 then since they werent made. But the trannies are different. The ga16de tranny does have a nut that holds the filter on there is a big warning for that. But not sure on the sr20de auto tranny.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doh! My mechanic didn't do it, he had someone else do it andthe guy left for the day. I hope he remembers when he comes back. If I have answers I will definitely post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts