SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so this weekend its high school nationals at the former norwalk raceway which is now summit raceway park or some ****. well for now the car is an autotragic. and i wanna get the best time possible with it. i was just curious on the variations of 1 2 D etc. ive heard go from 1 to 2 to drive, 2 to 1 to 2 to drive, 1 to drive, 2 to drive, etc. so if u have heard whats the best, or if it even if it makes a difference, ur help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Josh.

·
SE-R Brokanic
232 Posts
^^not true. I don't know about Sentras, never driven an auto, but in my auto integra, the ecu would shift at 6800 while there was still 400 rpms until redline. i consistently was getting .2 lower et's with shifting 1-2-D3-D4 rather than just leaving it in D.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Higher you shift, the higher the rpms will be when you hit the next gear. My car spent WAY too many years as an auto. Shift yourself as high as you can without hitting the rev limiter.

·
G20 Newbie ;)
572 Posts
Power braking (brake torque), leave it in D3, wide open throttle, optional drop resistor mod.

Set up for the power braking by full braking while in neutral at the line. Tap the throttle once or twice till the brake pedal drops and while still not moving shift to D3. Power brake for only a few seconds and don't go overboard with the rpm. Also remember to let the car idle for a while in neutral with the AC on after runs as to help cool the automatic transmission.

There are more things you can do on the cheap but the above should help in a short notice pinch.

·
Rebuilding
3,916 Posts
after driving auto for a year before i 5spd swapped it, leave it in D! not risk damage by "manually shifting" from L, 2, D... just feather it when you take off then MASH it.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
**** damage, if you damage it, perfect time to replace it with a 5spd.

As I said, it'll be FASTER if you shift yourself. Take it from someone who knows. My car went several years running this way WITH NITROUS, and to this moment I haven't run across another auto car faster than mine was.

·
wants 2 dry hump chriscar
4,507 Posts
Also remember to let the car idle for a while in neutral with the AC on after runs as to help cool the automatic transmission.
what? having your AC on will make it cool much slower than with it off. between runs if you have any HVAC control on it should be the heater at full blast......your heater core will act as a tiny 2nd radiator.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
He said that because on an automatic car, when you turn the ac on the 2nd fan kicks on.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Aaron that happens on any of our cars. He also doesnt have AC...

·
boost monkey
325 Posts
my friend always did this with his 2000 mustang gt, it did noticeably better as it allowed the car to rev a tad bit higher.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Aaron that happens on any of our cars. He also doesnt have AC...
Lol I was drunk. What I meant was that when you turn the ac on the fans will turn to the higher speed. Fans on auto cars have a high and a low.

·
4,507 Posts
Lol I was drunk. What I meant was that when you turn the ac on the fans will turn to the higher speed. Fans on auto cars have a high and a low.
i would much rather have my heat on high than have my AC on. think about this. all AC does is exchange heat. the ac fluid is compressed and decompressed making it get cold and all that good stuff. the heat the fluid picks up is lost via the condenser located directly in front of your radiator. this will then send even hotter air than normal to your radiator making the radiator less effective.....i dont care if the fans are running faster or not.......terrible idea.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The part your not getting is that when people NORMALLY do this, they pull the ac fuse. You can pull the fuse, and the button still lights up green, the fans run faster, yet the AC never actually comes on.

·
4,507 Posts
The part your not getting is that when people NORMALLY do this, they pull the ac fuse. You can pull the fuse, and the button still lights up green, the fans run faster, yet the AC never actually comes on.
he never said that. he said "turn the AC on high" ;)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Yeah I realize that now. I was pretty drunk last night.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alrite i got some ideas i can try out but that power braking thingy kind of interests me. im gonna try that out on the street tomorrow. thanks for your input. and ill let u guys know how i do on sunday after the track.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so if i get a good launch/reaction time and have good shifts with the 1 2 d and what not. what kind of 1/4 time could i pull off?

·
SouthPaw
2,022 Posts
In the Altima community transgo reprogramming kit ( Transgo Professional Industry Site ) is a cheap mod that alot of us do to our transmissions. It provides quicker shifts, and strengthens the tranny a little bit. I got one on my Altima, paid 140 from Transmission Exchange Co. in Oregon. They are the #1 transgo distributor.

Here is the part you want RL4F03A-HD2. It is the reprogramming kit. It improves your tranny. The basic shift kit is basically for repairs or those who dont need performance gain

Transgo website-car fitment said:
Front Drive Nissan
With TV Cable
Sentra 91-99
NX 92-93
200SX 95-98
G20 Infinity 91-93
transgo website-benefits of the kit for the sr20 car said:
Corrects: Rough 2nd cold.
No 3rd after 3-2 or 4-2 kickdown.
Direct clutch (3rd) inner seal leaks,
wears or opens up, etc.