SR20 Forum banner

AutoX Question(80 seconds or longer courses only)

828 views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  RonG 
#1 ·
i was wondering if any one who specificly drives a Sentra finds it easier to manuever the car through certain maneuvers in 3rd gear as opposed to pegging 2nd? is it possible that traction loss in 2nd gear could really be more harm than good on tracks such as ive stated above? Could 3rd gear allow better control balance through slaloms and or sweepers? I would think we would have well enough acceleration in 3rd to allow for fast times and transactions...

here are my cars personal stats if it helps.

1st: 32
2nd: 55
3rd:78

(b15)header/Intake/Exhaust/rear sway bar /Stock suspension for now Potenza RE750 205/50/r16 tires...

any light to shed will help greatly. :D

#2 ·
The SE has THAT short of gearing? What is redline?

My internal "rule" is that if I'm banging off the rev limiter more than 4 times, I'll shift to 3rd on the next run. You losing a LOT of time if you're on it longer than that.

But that's only in a straight line. In autox, I've never been in a turn fast enough where 3rd was even a concern.

On a road course, I will shift to the higher gear (4th, mostly) at turn-in if I will hit the rev-limiter in 3rd mid-turn.

Andy

#3 ·
the SE gearing with smaller than OEM tires is that short and the redline is only 6600 rpms. i guess once the local autoX season starts up ill have time to try this out. ive noticed alot of more experianced SE-R(classic drivers) can usually hold 3rd through slaloms so that is the basis for my question. they usually are in mid third when im holding near redline. so maybe i should think about shifting :)

thanks andy :)

#4 · (Edited)
We sometimes have courses about that long up here in New England (ner.org), and rarely (very rarely) have I ever felt the need to go to 3rd. My limiter is about 7500, so I set a shift light at about 7000.

There have been a few times when I went to 3rd, mainly long sweepers after a wide open slalom, but then you have to shift down again.

Staying in 2nd is the prefered deal - better torque at the higher end of 2nd for the majority of the course.

Besides, most autox courses should not see the speeds (60+) for most of us stockers to shift to 3rd.

#5 ·
If your gearing is really that Low, then you may have to use 3rd on occasion. My personal rule is that if I'm gonna hit the Limiter more than once, then I should be shifting to 3rd.

My old car, the one Ron now owns, has a shift light, I had set at 7200(I think) and it very rarely came on in second, if it did, I had an instant to decide how much longer the straight was, and shift before it hit the Limiter. It hit the limiter someplace about 65mph (indicated) and I think there were only 2 courses that I had to go to 3rd, Both of which I had Designed! :)

#6 ·
ser_racer said:
If your gearing is really that Low, then you may have to use 3rd on occasion. My personal rule is that if I'm gonna hit the Limiter more than once, then I should be shifting to 3rd.

My old car, the one Ron now owns, has a shift light, I had set at 7200(I think) and it very rarely came on in second, if it did, I had an instant to decide how much longer the straight was, and shift before it hit the Limiter. It hit the limiter someplace about 65mph (indicated) and I think there were only 2 courses that I had to go to 3rd, Both of which I had Designed! :)
Matt, since we now have a bit more room to stretch our legs at Devens, there are a few occasions that the light comes on (now set at 7000) and the limiter has bumped a few times. I probably only bumped in to 3rd when I was first learning to drive it.

Courses at Devens are nothing like Weymouth - topped out in the TT in 3rd!!

#7 ·
Actually, I ran in second or first gear for the whole season last summer. However, looking back, I was riding the limiter way too often. I watched an on-board of a more-experienced NX driver and he would sometimes shift to third when I didn't.

However, I personally wouldn't use it as a method of limiting spin, since I like to be able to compensate oversteer with the better throttle response that high rpm gives me.

#8 ·
RonG said:
We sometimes have courses about that long up here in New England (ner.org), and rarely (very rarely) have I ever felt the need to go to 3rd. My limiter is about 7500, so I set a shift light at about 7000.

There have been a few times when I went to 3rd, mainly long sweepers after a wide open slalom, but then you have to shift down again.

Staying in 2nd is the prefered deal - better torque at the higher end of 2nd for the majority of the course.

Besides, most autox courses should not see the speeds (60+) for most of us stockers to shift to 3rd.

You are actually the foundation of my question. and Devens being my main playground. i find it very difficult to keep up with most of the Sts Crowd. Most of the time I find that I have Upset my cars balance through a maneuver due to wheelspin (yes i get some with that short of gearing) and or excessive drifting. What I find is that i am not carrying enough speed through manuevers and im usually near 5500-6600 through out the course.. do you think there is a chance that the car is more settled in third gear making it easier to control through corners?

thanks for the replies gentlemen. :D

#9 ·
SR20DEe said:
i find it very difficult to keep up with most of the Sts Crowd. Most of the time I find that I have Upset my cars balance through a maneuver due to wheelspin (yes i get some with that short of gearing) and or excessive drifting.
How is your car setup? If it is close to stock, then you are going to have difficulty keeping up with STS. Most have some, or a lot, of mods for STS. My car is really not drivable on the streets (the previous owner, Matt, did, but he was always looking for punishment), so it is pretty well setup for AX. Nate's car is also a bit twitchy (at least I think), so it must be interesting driving around town.

#10 ·
the car sits on the OEM springs and dampers as of last year.. (unless of course my car is the autoX whore this year due to my freind Pj coralles wrecking his 240sx last night.)

the cars agility is tuned soley by tire pressures and adjustable rear sway. i found that my times were falling each time i competed. at the close of last season i found my faults settled around line reading and the traction circle. while i expect to upgrade my car to a fully adjustable suspension for 2004, I am also expecting on running 15x7 wheels with 205, 50 tires ..(further shortening my cars gearing) so being able to carry enough speed through 2nd and into 3rd is going to be twice as important. thus the topic :)

once again thank your for all of your inputs :D
im too scared to approach some of you people when we are competing :)

#11 ·
SR20DEe said:
the car sits on the OEM springs and dampers as of last year.. (unless of course my car is the autoX whore this year due to my freind Pj coralles wrecking his 240sx last night.)
Yeah, bummer, huh? I just saw PJ's post and pictures. Doesn't look too good for his car.

SR20DEe said:
im too scared to approach some of you people when we are competing :)
If any of us bark at you, slap 'em in the head. :)

It's absolutely the wrong thing to do. I've only been doing this for 3 years now, and the fastest/best way to learn is to ask for help, instructor ride/drive-alongs, novice schools, etc. That's how I did it, and still am doing it. Everyone could always use some help - I think it's great that I can get Nate to ride with me, cause each time I learn a little bit more.

Last year, when we ran at BMW, my co-driver and I always rode with each other. it was a great learning experience. I certainly do not mind someone riding with me, so you're always welcome.

#13 ·
SR20DEe said:
I may actually hit you up for a ride.. that is if im running SM next year. thats kinda up in the air. My car will not return to ayer this year unless its for an NESCC event :)

<---- cone whore :D
I don't think we are having any NESCC events this year. Not enough room in the schedule at Devens for all the clubs that want to run. There might be a few, but not sure about that.

#15 ·
From the sounds of what your setup is and the issues you where having there really won't be all that much you can do about the wheel spin. Back in the good ol stock days, both my Neon and SE-R would spin the Inside tyre through transition stuff.

As Ron said, the best thing to do is just get more seat time, with instructors, either them riding with you or you riding with them.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.