1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Turbo ECU users; And General Turbo Questions

Hello Guys,

I think that this is my first thread in the turbo section. :biggthump

I have been reading and reading everywhere here and other sites for months (well over a year), searching, studying dynographs, researching people's past problems, and finally I am boosted and the car is running well. I've been in the turbo game about 3 months, so I think I'm ready to ask some questions.

Really, I'm just interested in finding out some info from you guys, and getting some simple tips of the trade.

The consensus is, a lot of people on this forum are DET'd are are using Apexi piggyback systems, and most are using JWT, and some are using Calum tuned ECU's (which I am looking forward to incorporating very soon). Some are using other means... but, I'm interested in some of the people that are using DET ECU's (and or Calum DET programs).

My current engine/fuel setup is very simple: (Car is the b13 in sig)
-u12 Bluebird sr20det (Stock Top Mount; Stock T25)
-u13 Bluebird ECU
-GTIR/U13 MAF Sensor
-Walbro 255lph HP Fuel Pump
-Poormans DIY MBC (*10psi)
-JWT/Stillen Pop Charger
-NGK Blue Spark Plug Wires
-NGK BKR7E-IX Iridiums
-Greddy SP Stainless Exhaust (yes I know its too small, it came w/ the car) :D
-2.5" Reduction Bent JGY Downpipe
-Hyperflex Engine & Tranny Bushings/Inserts
-SR16VE Flywheel (14lb)
-Assco Lightweight Flywheel
-ACT Clutch Kit

My near future setup will include...
-Calum Base Eprom ECU Programmed for DET w/ 4-bar FP; removed speed limiter
-Nismo AFPR (Purchased; Installing after ECU upgrade)
-FMIC & Piping (Sitting in my room)
-Taylor Thundervolts (GB almost complete)
-3" Downpipe & 3" Exhaust (Possibly Side Exit w/ Magnaflow Res & Test Pipe)

My Impressions
-I love the car... it's the beater car, but it makes me smile a lot.

Questions...
1. From your experience, can the DET ECU handle 12 psi w/ this simple setup?
-I understand that the best way to tell this is from dyno time and a wideband...
-Keep in mind this is a DET not a DE+T and I'm running a DET maf and 02
-Yes, I have searched; but there isn't much info on turbo det ecu's
-Is the question redundant since I'm upgrading ECU's soon... no, because it's something I'm not sure about.
-If you do boost 12psi, how do you like it... hehe, problems? etc.

2. What is your experience w/ the t25 turbo???
-Things that you have learned along the way
-Things (mods) that helped in utilizing this turbo's quick spool time
-Care to share what your setup is, the car you drive?
-Do you have traction Issues? Axle Issues? :laugh:
-Care to share what you think about the turbo in general?
-Track Time w/ the car? Do you drive hard? etc.

3. Any first hand information you would like to share... is good information to me.
-I'd love to hear anything you guys have to offer. I've read threads, searched the net, etc. til my eyes bled, and probably asked some of the people I know questions until they've hated me hehe, but nothing is more worthy than first hand information to me.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
i couldnt tell you man. sorry ameen.
Bwahahaha!! Did you feel obligated to post because you felt bad??

Tokes you posted everything BUT your fuel setup What is it?

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tauriq,
Fuel setup is stock 370's on the Bluebird Regulator (3-bar correct?) on the U13 fuel map. Using 54c00 MAF, and now rockin a Walbro 255 lph HP pump. I was at stock boost for a grip, now (last 1 week) I'm at about 9-10 psi solid in fourth, will spike to maybe around 11.

The Nismo FPR is still in the shipping box I got from a forum member. Will put this on when time permits and I get a fuel pressure gauge. Will turn up the pressure to 4-bar upon receival of the programmed ecu (still a ways away)

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Install that fuel pressure gauge NOW to check where the pressure is at. Word has it that the Walbro HP raises your fuel pressure when used with the stock regulator.

C

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Install that fuel pressure gauge NOW to check where the pressure is at. Word has it that the Walbro HP raises your fuel pressure when used with the stock regulator.

C
I will need to purchase one first :)

Interesting... is having a little too much fuel pressure bad Chris? It hasn't been running funny or smelling like fuel, but I'll at least check that soon. It's not a daily so all is good. Is this word of mouth on the stock DET fpr?

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Interesting... is having a little too much fuel pressure bad Chris?
You don't know if you've got a little too much. Or a lot too much. Or if it's just right, eh Goldilocks?

Is this word of mouth on the stock DET fpr?
I don't know, but I'd imagine a DET fpr is very similar to a DE fpr since they both run 3bar from the factory.

I treat the Walbro HP as a part of the system. Meaning if you install one, you should do an AFPR and fuel pressure gauge at the same time.

C

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Regardless... I'd rather take a worthy word from a homie and check rather than piss my gas away or possibly foul my iridiums :rolleyes: (shouldn't have bought these but it was the only 7 series plug they had at the time). I'll at least check when I get some time...

Did you call me Goldilocks :laugh: I don't like porridge :(

·
Retired for now...
2,387 Posts
Questions...
1. From your experience, can the DET ECU handle 12 psi w/ this simple setup?
-I understand that the best way to tell this is from dyno time and a wideband...
-Keep in mind this is a DET not a DE+T and I'm running a DET maf and 02
-Yes, I have searched; but there isn't much info on turbo det ecu's
-Is the question redundant since I'm upgrading ECU's soon... no, because it's something I'm not sure about.
-If you do boost 12psi, how do you like it... hehe, problems? etc.

2. What is your experience w/ the t25 turbo???
-Things that you have learned along the way
-Things (mods) that helped in utilizing this turbo's quick spool time
-Care to share what your setup is, the car you drive?
-Do you have traction Issues? Axle Issues? :laugh:
-Care to share what you think about the turbo in general?
-Track Time w/ the car? Do you drive hard? etc.

3. Any first hand information you would like to share... is good information to me.
-I'd love to hear anything you guys have to offer. I've read threads, searched the net, etc. til my eyes bled, and probably asked some of the people I know questions until they've hated me hehe, but nothing is more worthy than first hand information to me.
1. I dont see why it wouldnt...the thing is programed for turbo so i imagine it would be able to hold 12 psi....as matter of fact my b14 realtime is running u12 programming...and im running 11.5 a/f spiking to 13 falling to 9... Dont know if that helps though... I do know you better have your clamps tight cuase stuff starts to pop off...lol pssshh...pop!! car starts running like complete crap...pipe hanging off the IC... :)

2. I says 2inch hot side and 2.25 or 2.5 cold side for best reaction...my stock FMIC is that same diameter...i get full spool around 3500...

I spin tires all the way thru 1rst and 2nd and some on thrid with 17" G Racing Seki's w/ Dunlop fm901 sp sport tires (yeah there not the best) Haven broke an axel knock knock...but from all the vibration the 3 bolts came loose on the axle bracket and the axel came out of the tranny due to that...so use lock washers on all parts if you have prothanes...just my .o2

I also use this as my daily driver since October of 06, i also drive it hard once in awhile in the florida hot wheather and the car seems to do good..real test will be this summer.....but i also made sure alot of the seals and gaskest were replaced.

Havent ran the track but going real soon....just got to get the other car up in tip top shape incase this breaks at the track....

btw have you seen my gains from a jwt ecu to a calum ecu?? 20 hp!!! thats enought for me...untunned too.

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for your input Brian...

holy ****... 20hp? Yeah, I'm actually waiting to check on that broken ECU from calum... once that checks out I'm sending it right back to get daughterboarded and programmed. woo hoo...

Not sure if you saw... but I went to the track with the car the way it is... like the way I drive it every other day on 10 psi... same tire pressure, interior in and everything. Despite some damage being done to the hood and my windshield I pulled in these track times...

Couldn't launch well... but got her to trap 104.28, with a basically stock swap! There is more in this little beast... Best of the night was a 13.85 et w/ a 2.3 or so 60'... When that ECU gets here and I put that fpr on 12 psi will be fun :D

I'm car 820

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
Wow, cracked windshield didn't slow you down at all? LOL! Looks good man, car is running well.

Brent

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
it slowed my moral, but I just said "f" it... lets go!... I know I'm whoring this picture, but here's a pic after my first run... needless to say people though I was a rice boy when I pulled that first terrible run... 35mph trap 24second et LOL... but I tried to make up for it.

I bent it back a little and now its chillin in the back... Soon to be fixed...

·
Retired for now...
2,387 Posts
13.8 is nice man....im amazed...you give me hope...ill be tracking after the 15th....cant wait to see what i pull...got some prjects up the sleeve...

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^ Thanks buddy... Especially w/ all season tires! :jammin:

Well... I plan to go to the dyno tomorrow to see what this thing is doing running the way it is... I know the u13 maf apparently is good to 290 horsepower, and the ecu will deliver, I guess my only concern is the injector cycle.

I will run on 10 psi (spike 12) at the dyno and hopefully see what the a/f ratio looks like. Unfortunately it will probably be squat because I have a small exhaust leak right after the resonator :(

Maybe I should wait...

·
agent camel toe
9,396 Posts
Thanks for your input Brian...

holy sh*t... 20hp? Yeah, I'm actually waiting to check on that broken ECU from calum... once that checks out I'm sending it right back to get daughterboarded and programmed. woo hoo...

Not sure if you saw... but I went to the track with the car the way it is... like the way I drive it every other day on 10 psi... same tire pressure, interior in and everything. Despite some damage being done to the hood and my windshield I pulled in these track times...

Couldn't launch well... but got her to trap 104.28, with a basically stock swap! There is more in this little beast... Best of the night was a 13.85 et w/ a 2.3 or so 60'... When that ECU gets here and I put that fpr on 12 psi will be fun :D

I'm car 820

i noticed that u won all of ur races according to he slips...turbo cars are like riding a new bike,once u fall u want to get right back up and ride again...the hood/windshield are war scars

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
i noticed that u won all of ur races according to he slips...turbo cars are like riding a new bike,once u fall u want to get right back up and ride again...the hood/windshield are war scars
That's a good way to put it :D That's exactly how it felt...

I actually ran a few more times... Those 4 were the best et's. I ran Brian (Tuned200's) Cobb Stage 2 Subie Legacy GT a few times and he spanked me a couple times. He consistently got 1.8 60's... I think I got him once but that's cause he mis-shifted once. The best I could get was a 2.23 sec 60' time or something. The other runs were when I was learning to launch - like 14.1-14.5 times trying to figure out how to release the clutch and build the boost right. Traps were all comparable though.

I think its good because it leaves a lot of room to grow... especially if drag radials or slicks are used.

It's so funny because the car doesn't feel that fast, but when I got that 13.85 I was surprised/happy cause my goal was 13.99. I wish I could express how much fun I had. :)

·
agent camel toe
9,396 Posts
That's a good way to put it :D That's exactly how it felt...

I actually ran a few more times... Those 4 were the best et's. I ran Brian (Tuned200's) Cobb Stage 2 Subie Legacy GT a few times and he spanked me a couple times. He consistently got 1.8 60's... I think I got him once but that's cause he mis-shifted once. The best I could get was a 2.23 sec 60' time or something. The other runs were when I was learning to launch - like 14.1-14.5 times trying to figure out how to release the clutch and build the boost right. Traps were all comparable though.

I think its good because it leaves a lot of room to grow... especially if drag radials or slicks are used.

It's so funny because the car doesn't feel that fast, but when I got that 13.85 I was surprised/happy cause my goal was 13.99. I wish I could express how much fun I had. :)
i can see the fun being expressed thru the pics..the fact that u stuck it out like a trooper proves that u belong in boost...blkser is selling some used bf's that yielded him 12's..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts