SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Im in New Zealand, and looking at the possibility of buying a 1998/1999 Nissan Avenir GT4-Z (import from japan). They are a 4wd turbo wagon, with the SR20DET engine.

Except they all come in autos! :(

I've done a bit of research, and found that they use the following gearbox:
RE4F04A FN41

The important bit being the "RE4F04A".

Does anyone know fo someone who has done an auto to manual conversion in these avenir wagons?
Or does anyone know if a 5 speed manual 4wd gearbox from another SR20DET powered car will fit? (Eg from a u13/u14 4wd attesa bluebird).

My current 1991 Nissan Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd 4wd turbo SR20DET manual has the following gearbox:
RS5F50A
And I have found a u13 bluebird turbo 4wd with an auto gearbox which is the exact same part number as the GT4-Z gearbox above: RE4F04A.

R = east-west mounted
S = manual, or E/L = auto
5F = 5 speed, 4F = 4 speed
04, 50 = series/model (also 41, 30, 50 51 etc)
A = open front diff, V = LSD

I'm not thinking of pulling my car to pieces for the gearbox (its in too good a nick), but thinking about getting another dona car.

My questions therefore are:
- Would a manual 4wd SR20DE(T) gearbox work? (turbo or non turbo u13)
- Would I need different sized front axles/drive shafts? (are auto different size to manual)

Any comments?

Cheers
Mike

·
Now accepting donations!!
3,394 Posts
Any AWD SR20 trans should work. There may be changes that need to be made depending on the year you get, but there are plenty avaliable.

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
The thing you'll have to look at is the final drivers of the respective front and rear drive sections. In otherwords, the front differential and the rear differential.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, ok thanks guys.
I'm going to keep researching into this, as surely it has been done before (over in Japan).

Mike

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
i thought the front and rear ratioas were the same through out the years.....

·
No soup for you
2,266 Posts
The other concern should be chassis mounting position for the transmission mounts, are they in the same locations, respectively? Pedal assembly comparisons, make sure one will work in the other. Is there room in the tunnel for the shifting mechanisms? Researching the wiring ahead of time would be good, as well . Its handly to keep a working neutral safety switch, cruise control, etc.

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,
Im in New Zealand, and looking at the possibility of buying a 1998/1999 Nissan Avenir GT4-Z (import from japan). They are a 4wd turbo wagon, with the SR20DET engine.

Except they all come in autos! :(

I've done a bit of research, and found that they use the following gearbox:
RE4F04A FN41

The important bit being the "RE4F04A".

Does anyone know fo someone who has done an auto to manual conversion in these avenir wagons?
Or does anyone know if a 5 speed manual 4wd gearbox from another SR20DET powered car will fit? (Eg from a u13/u14 4wd attesa bluebird).

My current 1991 Nissan Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd 4wd turbo SR20DET manual has the following gearbox:
RS5F50A
And I have found a u13 bluebird turbo 4wd with an auto gearbox which is the exact same part number as the GT4-Z gearbox above: RE4F04A.

R = east-west mounted
S = manual, or E/L = auto
5F = 5 speed, 4F = 4 speed
04, 50 = series/model (also 41, 30, 50 51 etc)
A = open front diff, V = LSD

I'm not thinking of pulling my car to pieces for the gearbox (its in too good a nick), but thinking about getting another dona car.

My questions therefore are:
  • Would a manual 4wd SR20DE(T) gearbox work? (turbo or non turbo u13)
  • Would I need different sized front axles/drive shafts? (are auto different size to manual)
Any comments?

Cheers
Mike
Hay snowfly I'm also in nz. Just bought a gt4-z and was wondering about manual 4wd compatibilities / possibilities. Have you perused this any further, if so could you please share your findings.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts