SR20 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if this has been verifyied? I'm looking for the AWD Sentra's engine cradle(which is in the way of the AWD tranny that is on either the GTiR or the BB) and I'm also looking for the power steering rack configuration...any ideas or help guys?? TIA! ME AND MY CRAZY IDEAS!!:D :rolleyes: :cool:

·
Side by side through 9
719 Posts
Aren't there AWD G20s in Japan? I'd love to do that conversion (FWD, N/A -> AWD, DET).

I don't believe the B13 chassis was ever built in an AWD configuration. Someone I know looked into making a B13 AWD, and there would have been a lot of work on the belly pan to make it work.

Sounds like a cool project if the B13 was available in AWD...

Tom

·
fabricator
841 Posts
I'm pretty sure there were no AWD sentras in Mexico, and also no B13's with AWD. The BB is AWD, but is the wrong chassis and a slushbox; i'm not sure if the AWD primera was ever a manual, but i'm inclined to think it was just available in auto. The only thing close is the Pulsar Gti-r - it can be had with a 5-speed, should come close to fitting in the engine bay, and most of the whole rear-end is one big subframe. Locating the rear end, dealing with the engine cradle and steering rack will be the hard parts. The best bet IMHO is to locate a whole Pulsar front clip; you'll get the rack and cradle and any other miscellany, but you'll still need to get the back half (can be imported) and do a LOT of fabrication. This is nowhere near bolt-in. The US frame is not designed to have any of the back stuff on the chassis. (think almost rear tube-frame, relocated strut towers, etc..) Another issue that may come up is LHD vs. RHD. Were the pulsars available in LHD? I've heard also that the Gti-R gearbox isn't much better than the FWD US gearbox for handling a lot of power. If you're serious about it, join some of the Gtir yahoogroups in OZ and the UK. If you snoop around enough, you can find a couple of pages of the FSM for the Gti-R that show what the car's rear underpinnings look like. I'd send it to you, but im not at home. I'd estimate that to make it work, you're looking at $6-10K assuming at least 3k for a front clip, another 1-2k for the back... One final option (actually probably the easiest if you've got the $$) is to import a whole GTiR either without a motor (considered a 'kit car') or one that has been wrecked. You'd have most of what you need then.

Andris

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was in fact an AWD B13 Sunny(ATTSSA or whatever) made with an SR18DE engine in it in Japan...and I have also herd that there is an AWD Primera, and yes the Blue Bird and Primera's were avialable with manual transmissions. Most of them are IIRC.:D ;) :p

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
http://SERJimR.tripod.com/b13world.html

I found the AWD Sunny on a now defunct History of Sunny B13 page (that's where the pics on my B13 page come from). I gather that the ATTESSA cars were available with both the GA15 and SR18 by looking through cryptic parts tables.

If you spend long enough peeling through yahoo.co.jp, you could probably find more information to back that up. The '90-'93 B13 Sunny (our '91-'94 Sentra four-door) was available with AWD, but it wasn't a performance model, so finding much about it on Japanese sites is a difficult affair.

·
SE-R Mana
759 Posts
Back in '91, I was able to acquire a JDM Sunny brochure. There was in fact AWD B13s available but none with any version of the SR20DE. Also, there were no coupes, they were all sedan models.

G

·
I know most of you have no intention of ever doing this modification, as you are all driving 10 year old cars becasue you can't afford a new one---never mind the $10k it would cost to customize this set-up---for no apparent reason. Why would this be "cool" At best you could have 200hp awd-----can't you find 5 other cars that already come with this that are legal, cheaper and easier?
Anyways---to get away from my negativity---what about the b12 awd that is sold right here in the good old usa--anybody ever thought of that?

·
fabricator
841 Posts
Anyways---to get away from my negativity---what about the b12 awd that is sold right here in the good old usa--anybody ever thought of that?
It is being looked into (by others, not me) for some rear parts, but its my opinion that its not going to be worth it; probably can't take the power, wrong chassis, final drive ratio, etc... the front end has zero to do with sr20's or b13/14 chassis so IMHO, its a lost cause for anything other than rear diff mounting ideas, suspension pickups, strut tower config..

Andris

G

·
looks like another one on my ignore list---
400hp? grow up kid---you are being ridiculous---if you actually think you are going to get 400hp out of the engine--your nuts. Put down the Stillen catalog and calculator--it aint that easy.

G

·
Don't take me personally----everyone does---I like to **** with everyone a little bit--esp. the new guys--it is only a computer---just fight back--keeps the boards entertaining and fun. And you showed a lot more knowledge than your first post about getting at least 400hp. AS long as you know you need DEEP pockets--and you might as well just custom the whole driveline---I doubt the sunny trans, transfer case, diffs and axles can take 400hp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.