SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ya dig
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my axel seal is leakin, i have a new seal. i have to do it the hard way, oneof the bolts that hold the brake to the strut will NOT come off, it broke 3 sockets and 2 wrenches...so im tryin to jus pull the axel, but it wont come out. is there a trick to gettin it out??? and i was readin in a chitltons book, it says u need a special alingment tool when u put em back in, so the spline line up??? <--do u really need the tool???? thanks...

·
Registered
757 Posts
If you are doing what i think you are then you need to take your brake caliper off because you won't be able to break the bolt loose on the head side. You need to break it loose on the nut side and to do this the caliper needs to be out of the way. You can get the axle out just by taking the two strut bolts off and pulling the whole hub assembly foward.

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
You need to get the brake off if its the driver side axle. Soak the bolt a couple times with PB blaster and let it set for a day. Do not use an impact wrench. More than likely it will break off.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
To remove Axel, you first need to break up Guns-N-Roses.

To get the axle out...it sounds like you're talking about the strut bolts that hold the strut and hub together, no? If so...do what the guys above said. Soak in PB Blaster. Deep well socket (1/2 inch drive, preferably) with a long breaker bar.
Find a piece of steel pipe to put over the breaker bar to get more leverage, and *gently* try to loosen it up.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
On your second question, the special tool is designed to protect the new seal as you re-install the axle. You don't have to use one, but you do need to be careful not to bugger up the new seal. If not, you will still have a leak and need to do the whole thing over again.

You might want to check the SE-R mailing list archives, there are lots of hints about the R&R of the axles.

Good Luck,

Bill Conner

·
ya dig
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aight thankks, guys...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts