SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm a retard and now just realized why the service manual wants you to bang the nut when its on the axel when you take it out of the hub. The first thread on the axel is warped. I need to fix this tommorrow. What should I do?

·
Registered
69 Posts
ive done that before it sucks. i used a copper pipe cutter to kinda straighten the threds out, it took a few trys but i got it to work. good luck

·
PLAY MY HEAD, MONKEY!
9,943 Posts
i just used a peice of wood and banged on that to get it out of the hub. i don't think i screwed up the threads, i didn't check...but im not sure how i would with wood. lol

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
paul did you get all that worked out???

·
"Keep firing, Assholes!"
796 Posts
i actually just went through this yesterday. luckily i didn't bang the end of the axle too bad though. i got it a couple threads on with a socket and ratchet but had to use an impact wrench to get the rest on. i just cleaned up the threads with a stainless brush beforehand. good luck with it though

·
Registered
310 Posts
same thing happened to me...

wood is good **** when it comes to axel threads, but sometimes at 2:30AM on the last day of the install you just don't care...

to make a long (and boring) story short i got lucky. sometimes you can still get the nut passed the messed up part of the threads. then i used a torque wrench from WWI to torque those suckers to ~200ft :tongue:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I got it straightened out... I used R0b_'s method, but we couldn't get another axel nut. So now my car is sitting like a half hour away with out a wheel on it. Oh yeah, because the hub wouldn't come off the lower control arm, I had to push down on it and the control arm in order to get the axel in and out. Then, I broke the linkage between the control arm and sway bar--still gotta fix that too. A tip though for when you cut the axel nut in half: measure it so it's exactly in half otherwise you will have trouble putting it on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts