SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright this is driving me crazy...I'm doing a swap right now and last thing I need to do is remove the axle nuts. I'm cranking on it enough that the engine is cranking and it is in 1st gear too! Question is what can I do to stop that... or could i do Plan B- I remove the engine w/o taking the tranny out..since I'm not doing anything to the tranny...could it be done?

·
shift_boost
1,949 Posts
put 170 ft/lbs of torqe on it

·
Registered
200 Posts
if you dont have an impact/cant afford it, go and get a 3/4" x 4' iron pipe (like $5 at HD), slip it over your ratchet, you'll have no problem then, i've used mine many times breaking things loose, including those axle nuts, before my friend started storing his air compressor in my garage.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hah, sorry guys i must be erally tired because 5 minutes after i asked that question it dawned on me that I need the car on the ground, lol.. no wonder my torque wrench wasn't doing anything.... thanks guys...

·
Registered
527 Posts
I usually have someone sit in the car and step on the brakes while i loosen the axle nut.

·
SE-R Mana
759 Posts
Stabone said:
no wonder my torque wrench wasn't doing anything.... thanks guys...
Not a good use for a Torque wrench. Really, use a impact wrench or breaker bar. If you don't have a breaker bar, buy one. It's cheaper than having to replace your torque wrench after you unknowingly change it torque properties. Hell, even a wratchet and socket combination would be better. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
lol, first time ever doing something like this, I broke my torque wrench, never did find the spring.

got it broke loose, cool, its all down hill from here.

·
On Vacation
3,821 Posts
Just put a flat head in the middle/opening section of the rotor (the flathead will come to the caliper which won't allow for the rotor to spin anymore) and take a strong hollow bar (for leverage) and put it on the rachet and loosen. Works like a charm.

Manny

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Or, wedge a crowbar between one of the wheelstuds and the top hat of the brake rotor. Rotate rotor until the crowbar hits the ground, and wedges the rotor/hub from moving. Apply torque. Off it comes.

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
I personally use an professional Ingersoll-Rand 1/2" impact. :) Works like a charm. The easiest thing to do is lower it on the ground and let the weight if the car do the work for you. Don't feel too bad because I did the samething awhile back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts