SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking into a 91 SE-R. I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me in terms of what I should look for, good and bad. I've heard something about 5th gear pop out?
Also, I priced the car on Edmunds, it came out to about 1200$, but the listing is for 1700$. Is it worth 1700? Thanks

-Eric

·
Original Owner
1,045 Posts
gen3ric said:
Hi,
I'm looking into a 91 SE-R. I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me in terms of what I should look for, good and bad. I've heard something about 5th gear pop out? Also, I priced the car on Edmunds, it came out to about 1200$, but the listing is for 1700$. Is it worth 1700? Thanks -Eric
Eric,

Here's a couple of things to look for, but you'll find a more complete listing with explanations if you search this forum and SE-R.net.

The Good:
-SR20DE is a solid motor that will last a long time (250K miles +), if it's maintained correctly. Take a peek under the valve cover if you can and as with any used car purchase, check the cylinder pressure readings.
-Replacement motors are cheap $250-$500 if the stock unit is on the way out.

The Bad:
-5th gear pop out is just what it sounds like. While accelerating in 5th gear, the transmission pops out of gear and goes back into neutral. It can be pricey to fix.
-CV joints. Look for splits in the inner and outer CV joint boots. It doesn't take long for them to go bad once the boots splits and spits out all the grease.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
575 Posts
That sounds like a good price if the body and engine are in decent shape, how many miles does it have? Also another thing you can do is try and get the guy to lower the price of it. Tell him you have 1200 cash, but before you negociate drive the car. Hope my advice helped a little, good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can see it sometime this week. It's got 188,000 miles on it. I know the SR's are pretty tough, I'm an active member of b15sentra.net, but I have a QG18DE in my B15 and it's a great engine, I can imagine that the SR20 is even better!

·
Registered
596 Posts
As usual, look for rust on the body, make sure the car hasn't been in any major accidents, even/uneven tire wear, etc.

Look for water damage in the trunk. Classic SE-R's have problems with water tracking behind the tail lights and into the trunk.

Check the condition of the rubber mouldings surrounding the windows. They can be a pain to replace.

Check the condition of the motor mounts and shifter bushing. If the car makes a noticeable vibrating noise upon deceleration and/or the shifter moves when letting off the gas, your mounts need replacing. There are other signs to worn mounts, but these are basics.

Check to see if the sunroof works. It could be a rusted switch or a bad sunroof motor.

Check for the common saggin door-hinge problem.

Take note of engine idle when cold and when warm. Can't help you with this one b/c there are so many different problems that involve idle.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, but I just heard back, someone beat me to the punch and put down a deposit. I'm next on the list if it doesn't work out...but more likely I think it was a good deal and he's probably going to take it. Ah, well I keep my eyes open.

·
Pâté Performance...
1,274 Posts
gen3ric said:
Thanks, but I just heard back, someone beat me to the punch and put down a deposit. I'm next on the list if it doesn't work out...but more likely I think it was a good deal and he's probably going to take it. Ah, well I keep my eyes open.
SE-R's go quick.....so you have to be even quicker with the $$.

·
-John-
690 Posts
I was fortunate to pick my 91 for $500, it had around 239K when I got it, 243K now and have not had one problem except I replaced the stock clutch just because of wear, stock clutch at 239K, I bet not too many have those bragging rights...lol They are definitely great cars, the only thing I hate is this is my second B13 and the doors are heavy as $hit and love to sag on both I've had.

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
my se-r has been a pita!.. although i paid 200 for mine, 155k, broke exhaust, and windshield... motor went within a week. got a long block for about 450 or so and ive been trying to restore it to my daily sense day one.. and as mentioned above, the idle is a pain the ass to figure out sometimes, im have 2 more ideas than i just have to hope someone can help me when i go to a local get together.

·
Registered
989 Posts
gen3ric said:
Hi,

I'm looking into a 91 SE-R. I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me in terms of what I should look for, good and bad. I've heard something about 5th gear pop out?
Also, I priced the car on Edmunds, it came out to about 1200$, but the listing is for 1700$. Is it worth 1700? Thanks

-Eric

i don't where you live at, but 1700 is too high. try between 1200-1500. check out se-r.net more info about the classic. They are hard to find, to find one in good condition is even harder. I hope you can get car, you will enjoy modding it.
Later.

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
i just had some girl stop in my at my job, asked if i wanted to buy her se-r before she traded it in at a local dealership.. she wanted 600 for it. 93 sunroof, 200k+ mileage. she owned it sense like 50k miles...

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
zipstrips said:
i just had some girl stop in my at my job, asked if i wanted to buy her se-r before she traded it in at a local dealership.. she wanted 600 for it. 93 sunroof, 200k+ mileage. she owned it sense like 50k miles...
Mileage doesnt matter jdm and highport usdm motors are cheap 600 u better jump on that b4 someone else does even if it does have a 5th gear popout.. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts