SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone explain to me what the differences are in handling between the two and what the advantages and dis-advantages are between each. I know that the B13 has IRS and that the B14 has a solid beam but I dont really know what that means. I am not trying to start an argument just wondering what the difference is.

·
mhmmm
1,263 Posts
i dont know much about the handling but that rear beam means that if one wheel goes up the other kinda goes down, with IRS if one goes up the other one stays the same, well thats sort of the idea
something like that lol

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
Storm88000 said:
I'm sure I'm gonna get bitch slapped, but my B14 (98 SE) has *MUCH* better handling than my B13 (91 SE-R) stock.

<obligatory b-13 Fanboi> Please are you sick???? SLAP <obligatory b-13 Fanboi>

Travis E.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i know the b14 has better weight distribution too

**but then again, im drunk, so i could be wrong, but i dont think i am**

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Its about same unless your in a real slow tight turn like at auto-x where the B14's push like real pigs. Now my P11 feels real good stock with the multi link up front.

·
it's an se-l..not an se-R
710 Posts
^^you got that right. b14's=massive understeer stock.

·
8,886 Posts
Beam= no bump steer, no toe adjustment stock, both tires always even with the road on smooth surface.
B13 IRS= bump steer, ability to follow the impendent movement with both wheels, stock toe adjustment.

If you want a sweeping and overly simplified generality....

1) B13 better unless you can get the rear beam bent
2) B13 better slower speeds/b14 better fast speeds with a bent beam
3) B13 easier to setup for most people.
4) B13 better unless you can get the rear beam bent and then refer back to #2

I can't believe I responded to this post. Really tired of the B13/B14/B15 thing. So far no hating so I guess its all good.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Can you bend the beam on P11's too Steve? I've been thinking about doing this.

98sr20ve said:
Beam= no bump steer, no toe adjustment stock, both tires always even with the road on smooth surface.
B13 IRS= bump steer, ability to follow the impendent movement with both wheels, stock toe adjustment.

If you want a sweeping and overly simplified generality....

1) B13 better unless you can get the rear beam bent
2) B13 better slower speeds/b14 better fast speeds with a bent beam
3) B13 easier to setup for most people.
4) B13 better unless you can get the rear beam bent and then refer back to #2

I can't believe I responded to this post. Really tired of the B13/B14/B15 thing. So far no hating so I guess its all good.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
I honestly like the way my B13 handles compared to the B14. I would like to get the B14 bent though. I think if you were to have one car for drag racing, and one for autocross, it would be
B14 - drag
B13 - autocross

this is of course if you own one of each :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
common guys we all know that Indpendent rear is better than a friggin beam no matter how you bend it twist it or what ever you wana do to it .I really cant imagine more than one post for this thread .If a beam setup was better than IRS then why would most every race car , sports car made have IRS vets since the 50's ,vipers,300zx,supra's,NSX,s13,s14,indy car,the list goes on and on
the whole point of the IRS is to keep contact with the road and the name says it all it allows each corner of the car to move indpendent of the outher to keep contact with the road . now if you just want to hit 3 wheel motion over speed bumps and **** yea go for the beam ,coilovers and some teathers to limit sys travel .But if you want to handel no contest go with IRS

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
NuttyNate said:
I honestly like the way my B13 handles compared to the B14. I would like to get the B14 bent though. I think if you were to have one car for drag racing, and one for autocross, it would be
B14 - drag
B13 - autocross

this is of course if you own one of each :)

This is exactly how i look at it, the 200sx is a drag racer, and the classic is a better autocrosser. Someday when a bluebird is in the 200sx and running 12's, im getting a classic and doing a VE swap to go kick some autox butt.... :D

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
here ya go :D [/edit]
Storm88000 said:
I'm telling you, my B14 handles better than a pinto! :D

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
REDSENTRASE-L said:
Even with my current suspension setup I still have terminal understeer. These things hate to rotate during hard cornering. I will have a rear sway bar and bent rear beam soon enough.

·
8,886 Posts
RBNMYZ said:
common guys we all know that Indpendent rear is better than a friggin beam no matter how you bend it twist it or what ever you wana do to it .I really cant imagine more than one post for this thread .If a beam setup was better than IRS then why would most every race car , sports car made have IRS vets since the 50's ,vipers,300zx,supra's,NSX,s13,s14,indy car,the list goes on and on
the whole point of the IRS is to keep contact with the road and the name says it all it allows each corner of the car to move indpendent of the outher to keep contact with the road . now if you just want to hit 3 wheel motion over speed bumps and **** yea go for the beam ,coilovers and some teathers to limit sys travel .But if you want to handel no contest go with IRS
The cars you mention are all RWD. Big difference. If you look at the Trans Am and some other series they are solid with a "Watts Linkage” The B14 has a similiar (but different) setup to that. Think about this for a minute.....

"Which end of a sentra runs out of traction first? Front or Back?"

It’s the front. And it’s even worse on the B14. Why? Because the rear of the B14 has too much traction In other words the Beam provides too much rear traction and the front washes out first as a result (understeer). That is why the P11 feels more balanced with the beam. The front actually has the traction to match the rear. All the advantages listed on the IRS Sentra have to be listed with the major disadvantage of Bump Steer and Camber Change as the suspension moves. Neither end of the Sentra's are very good in reality. The front is a simple strut, the rear is either a simple IRS or a sophisticated beam. The beam on a B14 is very sophisticated compared to the solid axle on the Camaro’s. It does not change its orientation to the frame as it compresses, and it is very light. Those are the two biggest drawbacks to the solid axles that most cars have. With the rear bent to zero toe it’s a wash. B14 are doing very well in the SE-R cup. Real race testing says the beam is nothing to be ashamed of.

sakerocket1 said:
Can you bend the beam on P11's too Steve? I've been thinking about doing this.
Yes, its the same.

·
8,886 Posts
REDSENTRASE-L said:
The B13 would also have massive understeer stock if it was set up with 1/4 inch of rear toe in stock. A 1/4 inch of rear toe in is HUGE. I have never heard of another car having this much rear toe. The B15 is not nearly as bad. The b14 sucks with the stock alignment.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts