SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys I would like your advice. I am thinking about building a sports car this summer. I am stuck between a b13 with a sr20det or a s13 with a sr20det. This car would not be a daily drive, just a weekend car and something to take to autocross events road races and maybe a drag strip or two.

What are the pros and cons of each platform?

What one would you pick of you where going to choose?

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
easy, s13. RWD, near even weight distribution, superior suspension setup, about the same weight as the b13, and you can fit a lot more rubber on the 240

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
for realz i used to have a s14 there sweet but like he sayd every ricer is jumpin on da 240 bandwagon and there becoming playd like civics but there sweet cars none the less

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
12.30se-r92 said:
every ricer is jumpin on da 240 bandwagon and there becoming playd like civics but there sweet cars none the less
thats also kinda like saying i'm not going to get a ferrari enzo because all the other rich guys are buying one so i want to be different.

the s13 is the superior platform for going fast around a road course or down the drag strip, period! Given the choice, I'd take the better platform for performance driving.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It totally depends, first of all I think you should look at the specs of the class you would like to run, and then start building from there....As for which one will be faster around a road course, or auto-x? it totally depends on the driver and how you build the car up. But in all honestly, a properly built s13 will mop up a b13 through the sweepers if it is comparitivly built. Not only that, but you don't have tranny issues, much more room to play with, many more aftermarket parts to choose from...BTW, when it comes to auto-x, I see waay more se-rs out there than I see 240's, so in effect, if you build it for auto-x you will be building a different type of car. Good luck in your venture... I've owned both, and I'm very happy with my s13 (and it doesn't even have a det...yet)

·
8,886 Posts
TeamPCI said:
I'll take a b13 over an s13 ANYDAY.
Those types of statements are usually based in personal bias not reality of what car is better. Look at the aftermarket support for the B13 on a worldwide basis. It is very small. As a example TEIN still has not made a suspension for the car. That is just one of the many examples of how little the world as a whole cares about our little B13. Look at the support that the S13 has in Japan, Australia, Europe and America. You can get anything your heart desires for the S13/14. That is because it is an actual performance car in those parts of the world. The B13 is a niche car that has taken off in America due to the greatness of the sr20de/t and the ability to build a fast cheap car. It will always be a FWD economy car. The S13 will always be Nissans entry level sports car. Because of the drifter fad that has spread thru the media and the internet people like to bash the S13. That is just ignorant. If you are afraid to get the better car just because of some other group and there desire to drift a car then I feel sorry for you.

·
Too busy to post
600 Posts
If you wanna be serious, Get the s13 and do an RB25 swap. That will set your car apart from the "ricers". :D
I got a B13 project now, the only down side to me is the tranny. I kind of like that the aftermarket hasn't flocked to the B13 platform, so it can be sort of exclusive club, you have to find the rare parts. Such as the Rear JDM bumper, GTS 4fog front bumper .....etc. When a project is complete is has more value due to the effort required to make the car complete. :)
I guess that is my opinion on this. :rolleyes: Either one can stomp the other given the right mods and driver skill.

Though it would be hard for a B13 to compete with a RB S13.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
I'd say S13 but only if you're going to do an engine swap or turbo the KA. The KA by itself is uninspiring at best, especially the SOHC version. Right now my B13 could run rings around my S13, even with the good suspension on the S13, because the KA24E SUCKS!

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's all a matter of personal preference. For enough money, anything can be turned into a Viper-eater. If you want something a little more unique and sleeper, then go with the B13. If you want something easier and more common, go for the S13. I recently purchased a B13 in great condition for this purpose. It's just a matter of preference and what your ultimate goal is.

·
8,886 Posts
BurritosForSale said:
It's all a matter of personal preference. For enough money, anything can be turned into a Viper-eater. If you want something a little more unique and sleeper, then go with the B13. If you want something easier and more common, go for the S13. I recently purchased a B13 in great condition for this purpose. It's just a matter of preference and what your ultimate goal is.
It's not as easy as you make it sound. Just try matching a ZO6/viper in the overall performance with a B13 or a S13. It will not be easy. Mid 12's at 112mph + or bettter on street tires, great brakes and handling, oem reliability on the street and road course, relatively comfortable. Sure, you can make a car faster in the 1/4 mile, or any given test. But the challenge is to match it in an overall manner. Overheating, broken transmissions, and reliability will all need to be addressed.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
s13 all the way . Just make it clean and do it right and you'll set yourself apart from the ricers. Just like the hardcore honda racers their cars always look right, go before show. THose honda guys with the clean rides get my respect.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
To officially beat the dead horse, I'll say S13.

The only reasons I'd choose b13 over s13 (and note I've alread made the choice :)) is price and competitiveness in motorsports. However, either of those cars with a swap will be uncompetitive (or straight up unclassifired) in any sanctioned motorsports I can think of, short of drag racing.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
98sr20ve said:
Those types of statements are usually based in personal bias not reality of what car is better. Look at the aftermarket support for the B13 on a worldwide basis. It is very small. As a example TEIN still has not made a suspension for the car. That is just one of the many examples of how little the world as a whole cares about our little B13. Look at the support that the S13 has in Japan, Australia, Europe and America. You can get anything your heart desires for the S13/14. That is because it is an actual performance car in those parts of the world. The B13 is a niche car that has taken off in America due to the greatness of the sr20de/t and the ability to build a fast cheap car. It will always be a FWD economy car. The S13 will always be Nissans entry level sports car. Because of the drifter fad that has spread thru the media and the internet people like to bash the S13. That is just ignorant. If you are afraid to get the better car just because of some other group and there desire to drift a car then I feel sorry for you.
The answer to this question is personal preferance, the s13 and b13 are WAY differant cars. I don't believe that they can be directly compare to eachother the differances between the two prevent that.

He asked "Which one would you pick?" so I told him....

I have no hate for rwd civics(the fad IS fun to poke fun at though ;) ), they are great cars, but there are several reasons I chose a b13....

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
around here theres 2 rb swapped 240s already even though it is rare now by next year there will be plenty more,i just never have liked pulling up to a light and having someone pull up next to me at a light with the same car and setup

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
12.30se-r92 said:
around here theres 2 rb swapped 240s already even though it is rare now by next year there will be plenty more,i just never have liked pulling up to a light and having someone pull up next to me at a light with the same car and setup
LOL I know what your talking about, Ive done the rb20det swap into 4 local cars! theres about 10 sr'd 240s in my area and a few ka=ts and ca18s

-Josh

·
Registered
423 Posts
Once again...

s13 = sportscar
b13 = sleeper

If I could do it all over again I would get an s13... but im so in love with my b14 rightnow that i dont want to think about it :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.