SR20 Forum banner

B13pnoysentra's first SE-R Project: 1992 Classic

13K views 61 replies 34 participants last post by  b13pnoysentra 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to my project page! The purpose of this thread is to keep track of my progress, upgrades, and maintenance of my very first SE-R. Thank you for the comments and please feel free to put your honest input on anything that you feel needs attention.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
02/28/09:
Hello to all forum viewers! As you may know, I just newly acquired this good condition sr20de powered SE-R classic. I've been a member on this forum since 2005, but I've been driving a 1.6L powered B13 for quite some time until now. In 2004, when I first got the car, I researched and found that there were 2.0L powered ones designated as the SE-R version. Since then, the SE-R has always been the "unicorn" since I could never find one around my area. So I set forth making my 1.6 look like an SE-R, taking guidance from this forum on how to make it look nice and tasteful. I proudly represented the B13 crowd, as I am still the only one in the city to customize this car nicely imho. With all the civics and integras around and 240 guys asking me why I drive this car, I don't hesitate to tell them it's about being different among the crowd. Well lo' and behold I finally found the unicorn I've always wanted. However, there are some certain flaws that come with a used car that I cannot live with, and therefore, I must proceed to "modifying" :tongue: . I will be documenting the things I do to it in this thread throughout the length of my ownership of the car to keep track of the work I've done. Wish me luck! :biggthump

Purchased the car from Darel (9d1ser) for $2500 with some extra parts 2/25/2009:

http://www.sr20forum.com/cars-sale/245199-92-b13-sentra-se-r-sacramento-ca.html

Next to my old B13 LE

Starting the project:

02/26/2009

Replaced front door speakers (both sides) with aftermarket Pep Boys brand

Removed rear speakers (replace later)

Attempted repair of headliner with 3M adhesive spray (not so good)

02/27/2009

Clean out interior

Removed cracked dash (this was a big PITA!)

anyone know what this is?

Degreased the engine bay (Spectre cone filter installed)

Painted stock exhaust muffler

Red L.E.D bulbs installed for instrument cluster

Photoshoot break...my Ying and my Yang :)

#4 · (Edited)
3/7/09

Front wheel bearings replaced (both sides), Starter Kit Replaced, Black 4-2-1 Header (2.5" downpipe) Installed, Removed Headliner, Used Headliner from Pick-N-Pull sprayed with black vinyl paint, Interior parts (i.e. B-pillars and oh-sh*t handles) painted semi-gloss black, installed aftermarket shift knob

Custom Short Ram Intake Installed (Place Racing Tube Design) along with 4-2-1 Header

3/9/09

Used Front Dash picked up from a 94 B13 Sentra at Pick-N-Pull sprayed with semi-gloss black engine enamel. This took the longest time to remove/install since it caused me some electrical problems with the friggin cluster!! Had to make sure speedo and all the cluster was working before fully tightening the screws :squint: . I also transferred the VIN from the old dash to the new dash : (p.s. I ended up with a bunch of extra screws and not everything hooking up perfectly...climate control panel isn't out all the way with the rest and center vent is kind of stuck and hooked onto the dash and separated from the actual center piece; *All these issues are now fixed as of now :))

Oh yeah it works just fine (fuel guage works along with both speedometer and tachometer :))

3/13 to 3/15 2009

The new parts to be put on have arrived :):

2.5" Custom Mandrel Bend exhaust (2 45 degrees and 2 90 degrees), 20" length 2.5" in/out resonator, 2.5" OBX/Forza dual tip muffler

I also painted the rear turn signals red with transparent paint

I'm currently waiting on the arrival of the 2nd generation road magnets so I can put these Drag dr21's on

Trying out the hood bra (nah...)

I fixed the corner light a bit to close the gap and installed the 626 lip. It's amazing how this little addition actually makes the car look much better

VR3 Speakers were ghetto fabricated due to my lack in cutting skills

Photoshoot break...my 2 B13s chilling on a nice day

UPDATE!! Addition upgrades as of March 20, 2009!

Got the windows tinted - 5% rear and 35% for the driver and passenger windows

New front windshield with blue tint installed

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks ulysses, compliments mean a lot. It's def a lot of hard work and long hours so far, but fun at the same time. Everything that I'm trying to do to this car is definitely from forum related material and reading a bunch of other B13 threads so I'm gonna make mine look good in the end. It won't be the "typical" classic on B14 wheels, but will definitely be unique and tasteful. It's a money pit too lol...Nice sig quote btw;) . And about that friend who told me I should have bought an S13 instead...I showed him the meaning of the SE-R the other day:biggthump

Dude nice work! I was wondering how hard is it to take that dash out?:biggthump
O-Rod, let's just say that I hated the whole process LOL. Removing it seemed to take forever since there were so many bolts. I suggest removing the two big ones above the dash first (where the tabs are near the windshield vents) Then go from right to left with glove box, center console, unscrew things UNDER center console from ash tray to your sound unit or deck, electrical tabs, under steering wheel covers, cluster overlay with electrical tabs, and then cluster (did not remove the speedo cable from tranny, after taking out the electrical tabs, I sort of yanked on the cluster and out came the speedometer pin sensor pin from the rear), then two final nuts holding two bottom ends of dash. Driving for 2 weeks with NO DASH until I found a gray one with small cracks was pretty annoying, but kinda cool, but hella ghetto at the same time haha. After painting it, at least putting it back together seemed easier, sorta...all in all it was a nice experience I'll never forget. All that just to change 2 little burnt out bulbs to 3 red ones lol

#11 ·
Nice work! Sweet post.

#13 ·
Good work. I like the dual tips myself

#14 · (Edited)
UPDATE again as of March 24, 2009

Maaco Presidential Paintjob (Fire Red) They were having some limited 50% off on the paintjob

I wasn't there to see the car arrive home as I'm still in Sacramento, but my sister texted me some pics. I'll take some better pics this weekend and show you guys the new paintjob. A little more to go...installation of the Road Magnets, wheels, and alignment and she'll be to my liking (student loan money pit....but it's worth it!)

Prior to paint, i removed all side markers and told them not to paint the side mirrors, grill, or the 626 lip

#15 · (Edited)
Fresh Paint as of 3/26/2009

More parts to go...we have to install the road magnets, get an oil change (5w30 full synthetic), change to 300zx fuel filter, and get an alignment with the new wheels and she'll be finished...for now

#17 ·
thanks dude i like that factory fresh look ;)

#20 · (Edited)
450 total with prep work (sanding/primer) + clear coat. They have a sale on paint until march 28th 200 dollars off! :biggthump

So she's finally done...FINALLY!!!

New updates as of 3/28/09

Rear seats re-installed, Road Magnet Springs on OEM struts installed, changed to Castrol Syntec 5w-30 w/ K&N oil filter (switched to synthetic at 151,250 miles), 300ZX Twin Turbo fuel filter, 300ZX leather shift knob installed, 4 lug universal DRAG DR21 Silver w/ polished lip wrapped in 205/50/R15 Hankook Ventus tires installed, Thrust Alignment from McCoy Tires (front wheels only)

Painting the springs

What they look like with the OEM wheels

Getting wheels mounted and alignment from McCoy Tire

The "ALL DONE" photos :)

Some more dress-up stuff as of 4/21/09

Replica Nismo engine oil cap, radiator cap (1.3 kg/cm), Nismo tire valve caps (hope they don't get stolen lol) and Nismo emblem

Some vids of the car

#23 · (Edited)
nah man, i bought the car primered. however maaco said they can't paint over other people's primer so they had to add their "value prep" package with their own sanding and primer. they used a black primer from what I see on overspray, but there are still some hidden spots where the old primer still shows. i was surprised they did a nice job compared to earl scheib. my black sentra got painted there a couple years ago and it is pure orange peel :redface:. maaco didn't give me a touch up paint can since they said it was illegal :rolleyes: . i'm just irritated at this since i already have some small chips i can't cover up. i may have to get some regular touch up paint that will match as close to the color.

By the way, another update on this car. The car had a nail on the right rear passenger tire and the tire has to be replaced. The tire's still being ordered so i had the chance to take pics of her on jackstands in the garage after cleaning out the other B13 parts car...I also ordered some Nismo tire valve caps, Nismo 1.3 kg/cm (bar) radiator cap, and a Nismo oil cap to dress up the engine bay a bit.

Is it okay to jack it here??

#26 ·
don't really know the length, but here's the parts i ordered:

2 of these L bends and 45 degree bends from this eBay seller: hotpart.com

Any questions please email us at brian@hotpart.com or telephone us at 805-239-1558

#31 · (Edited)
Oil pan replaced dohhh!! gotta watch out for those high curbs next time :(

Found these in the pan, what are they?? (EDIT:: Found that they're called valve shims. They go under the rockers)

#32 ·
^^^ shims for the rocker arms. I mis shifted once and they came off so thats how i know what they are.

#33 · (Edited)
UPDATE as of 10/28/09. I already sold the turbo stuff. I have chosen to daily drive the car instead and upgrade with some N/A stuff first.

I became bored with the sentra's exterior so I tried on some 16's for a while. I'll just use them for winter season. Acceleration is slightly affected (negatively) from these larger wheels, but the car turns a lot better.

I also purchased a used Progress Rear Sway Bar from Larry on the forum. I can't wait to get this installed!

Some current pics as of October 2009:

My 3 B13s. The white one is sold and the black one is gone too :(

Custom painted Nissan hamburger emblem. The SE R emblems are new though.

Here it is with a new SI (I dig the classic more :p)

With my bro's 350Z (the Z is now painted white; used to be silver)

Rolling Shots from my motor week video

SR20 Street (almost LOL)

Trying on some 16's

#35 ·
it has to be transparent paint from a hobby shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.