SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was on ebay and saw that cold air intakes for b15 are way cheaper than the ones for b14. theres one for spec v's that cost like $50 and the price for the b13 and b14 se-r's is in the $250
why is this and is there a place that we could get them cheaper?????

·
WWJD
2,092 Posts
Yea, Home Depot!!!!!!!!!!LOL

·
Registered
774 Posts
Well first of all don't buy performance parts off of e-bay...... ever. Unless you have some major reason like it's a legit good piece and worth it. Most e-bay intakes are short ram junk that you can make yourself from home depot like treydee was saying for basically chump change. Thats what most of us turbo guys do anyways with out intakes and ic piping. It's all custom fabrication and such with a certain pipe length and width you buy from places like jc whitney. I know when I got my cai for my se-r before going turbo I went the aem route and ended up paying like 300 for it. Yeah it sounded awesome and gave a gain I could kinda tell. But not worth 300. You want an intake make your own. Plenty of us here have and that work just as well. If you're going to buy one.... go place racing... that's your best bang for the buck deal.

David

·
Registered
133 Posts
Umm I was just curious on what you used to make a CAI since I heard using pvc (aka home depot) is bad choice for when its heated it creates a toxic gas...?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I got a Injen filter and adapter from old skool short ram setup but will look it up but does only jcwhitney carry this stuff ?

97SE-R C2 said:
Mandrel bent piping from jcwhitney. Probably need 2 180 U bends of 2 1/2" to make a true CAI. Then buy a universal filter and adapter flange off ebay.

·
GT30R'd Up
1,813 Posts
Yea, Summit Sells those U-Bends also. Pretty Decent Price too for U-Bends with 12" legs. Alot Of those Ebay CAI look pretty good for the price they charge. They might not be the best quality in material but they do the job. If name is definately not a factor for you and Price is a brutal factor then some of these ebay pieces are the way to go. You can't beat Mandrel bent "polished" Aluminum piping (Pretty thin at that- A lil thicker than a soda can), silicone couplers, Clamps and Air Filter for $50. Then Again you can spend a lil more and make your own.....The reason why the CAI's for B13 and B14 are so expensive on ebay is b/c those companies that make them for the B15 and Civics for $50 don't make one for the B13 or B14s. Most likely the CAI's for B14 and B13 on ebay are AEM or HS.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
200sxsr20de said:
Well first of all don't buy performance parts off of e-bay...... ever.
I disagree to a point with that. I bought a ram air intake from e-bay a while ago. With that intake and a shitty muffler, I almost owned a modded B14 on the dyno and beat another heavily modded B14 in a race. I have witnesses to both incidents.

Overall, most ebay items are not worth it, but I will defend the items that have shown me a good measure of performance gains. Ofcourse, some people here are ready to discount my experience as next to nothing, so take my post with a grain of salt if you like.

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
you want to see true ebay performance? watch my video here

heres a pic of the engine bay although you cant really see the ebay wai too good. ill go take a better pic in a bit.

dont bash stuff from ebay. theres always some good and bad stuff out there.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Well i stand corrected by both myself and others. It's ok to get some things from e-bay. I myself have a short shifter i purchased when i first got the car. For 10 bucks it's hard to beat. I'm just pointing out the fact that when buying "performance" parts off of e-bay just beware that what you see and buy on there is not always in fact what you're going to be placing on your car or have the performance gains that are claimed as well. But i guess that goes for any upgrade you choose to put on your car. Again apologies to those who have had good luck with their e-bay parts.... and my poor short shifter that has lasted two years even after being hacked in half for the sake of losing the truck shifter look of the car. :D

David

·
Registered
287 Posts
It's one thing if you are buying intakes off eBay; but I am sick of seeing people buying garbage coilovers from eBay, dropping their car 4", and wondering why their car is ****ed.

IMO, I'm a parts snob. There is something to be said for dyno proven, high quality parts. Was my HS CAI worth $200, probably not but it's shinny, well made, and doesn't look like a plumber fixed my car.

·
Registered
999 Posts
you could always check the classifieds here on the forum, someone is usually selling a cai...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts