SR20 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can use a B14 ECU on a B15 engine? I have a 95 SE-R, I got a new engine, turns out it is the roller cam engine like the ones that came in the B15s. The swap isn't done yet, i just was wondering if anyone knew if it will work or not, if not, what will it do, and where can I find a used one? thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sure hope you are right, I have been waiting forever to get my car back.

------------------
Soon, My SE-R will be BACK

·
Registered
705 Posts
Uhhh....Wrong! It won't work....nsracer, where are you getting your info from? If it worked don't you think there would be an ECU for the b15 already?!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Uhhhh...bzzzzt! Wrong! Where am I getting my info from? Hmmmm, lemme see..maybe because my roommate has a 200SX sitting at home with a B15 engine in it. Ryan, read the question right. He asks if a B14 ECU (more specifically, the one out of his '95) will work with a B15 engine. He's not asking anything about the B15 ECU. But since you've decided to question that, you can in fact use a B14 ECU (95-97) in a B15. Since '98 Nissan went to OBD III and anyone with an OBD III car wanting an aftermarket ECU has had to get the 95-97 ECU and modify their harness to make it work. If the 95-97 ECU didn't work with OBD III (98-01) cars, why is there so many turbo 98's and 99's and even a turbo '00 (B15) Sentra? Do you think Mike setup that turbo B15 without a JWT ECU? I think not. But, rather than spending time reprogramming the B15 ECU, he just modified the harness to make it work with a B14 ECU. Not to sound like a dick or anything, but do a little homework before you make comments like "Uhhh....Wrong!"

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nsracer:
Since '98 Nissan went to OBD III and anyone with an OBD III car wanting an aftermarket ECU has had to get the 95-97 ECU and modify their harness to make it work. If the 95-97 ECU didn't work with OBD III (98-01) cars, why is there so many turbo 98's and 99's and even a turbo '00 (B15) Sentra? Do you think Mike setup that turbo B15 without a JWT ECU? I think not. But, rather than spending time reprogramming the B15 ECU, he just modified the harness to make it work with a B14 ECU. Not to sound like a dick or anything, but do a little homework before you make comments like "Uhhh....Wrong!"

</font>
Well..Okay....There wasn't anything said about it being done WITHOUT modifications lol. Of course you can do it with a little rigging. I know quite a few with ecu in a 98
Okay, now that we got that cleared up....

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
466 Posts
The '98+ cars still use OBD2, not OBD3. I don't think OBD3 is out yet. The '98+ cars just have more sensors, and Nissan changed the programming of the ECU, but its still OBD2.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Yup, you're right Eric. OBD III is still in development. The difference is in the programming of the newer OBD II ECUs. My bad

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
Super Advanced Newbie
280 Posts
As far as I can tell, it will work, but will need some modifications. I have a turboed B15 and have a JWT B14 ECU, but I was told to get a B14 intake manifod along with it because of the sensors.

I guess since you are already in a B14 (and I assume you have the B14 intake manifod already), swapping in a RR B15 motor in will probably work.

I am no expert though, so others here may be better help. I found all this info thru the knowledgeable people here. :)

PS: Just because I have the parts doesn't mean I have it installed yet - I am still running a RR SR20 with the stock B15 ECU and SAFC for fuel management. Looking for someone to install the stuff now, actually. :)

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Uh, this thread is 5 years old. I doubt the original poster is even still here. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.