·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was from the main mailing list, incase some of you are not on it:

As most of you serious B14/B15 guys know, the main
reason why these cars do not rotate well and suffer
from terminal understeer is that the rear beam axle
has about 1/4" total toe-in from the factory.

Yesterday, we tested out a special fixture that a
friend of mine made to bend the rear axle in my 200SX
to zero toe.

The beam axle is difficult to bend because of it's
U-Channel shape with the inner torsion tube/anti sway
bar. To bend the axle, there is a big risk of kinking
the U channel housing.

My friend built a fixture to support the inner tube
and the outer channel, so the hydralic ram used to
bend the axle pushes on the fixture instead of any
part on the axle itself.

The fixture worked like a dream, not leaving any
witness marks or anything.

The car roatates much better to the point where my
shock settings will need to be changed.

I think this will make any autocrossing B14/15 way
faster, so George or Larry take note.

My friend's shop is West End Alignment, speak to
Darrin Nishimura. He can bend axles that have been
sent to him I am pretty sure.

His phone number is 310 808-9233. He is also one of
the best chassis guys around for you local to So Cal.
people. He does much of the local racers chassis
setup around here.

Mike

How many of you are interested in this? I'm looking right now into buying another rear axle to send to get "fixed". Anyone else?

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eric96ser:

How many of you are interested in this? I'm looking right now into buying another rear axle to send to get "fixed". Anyone else?

</font>
I am thinking the same thing. Are the rear axles from a 95-99 sentra with drum rear brakes the same axle as the SE-R with disc rears? I would assume so.

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
Eric wrote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
</font>
I'm thinking about it too, but it's going to depend on economics and its affect. It's not going to be cheap to send my axle to Californina from Michigan just to bend it to something that may not be right for stock solo. Its going to take some development time and money (tires for testing). Who's to say the first aligment is going to be right, and maybe it'll need to be rebent?

I admit, it'll be better that what I have, but with the increased level of competition in GS next year, will it be worth enough to make me competitive, or should I just find a new (car) class?

Then Soupaflie wrote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I am thinking the same thing. Are the rear axles from a 95-99 sentra with drum rear brakes the same axle as the SE-R with disc rears? I would assume so.
</font>
I believe the axle is the same but with the different brake hardware bolted on.

I looked into buying a drop rear end and it was going to cost me about $350-$400 for the whole thing, brakes, bushings, and all. But the brakes would do me no good unless I could get an SE-R drop rear end.

-Larry MacLeod
'96 SE-R in ES (soon to be GS)

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about shipping it to CA, but I agree wit Larry, it ain't cheap. If the axle could be seperated from the trailing arms, then it wouldn't be so bad, but it can't. I talked with a guy this past weekend about alignments, and he said he can bend the axle. I'll look into a spare axle to try this with. I have a friend at a junk yard, so I may get a good price. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
bending isnt the hard part, keeping kinks and binding is. as i ship alot, i dont see shipping to be too bad. im just wondering how one could bend the axle and know how much to bend it if the car isnt there. getting it within a spec would be my consern. Shipping....id say under 50 bucks it cant weigh that much.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its the width of the car, and maybe 1/4 of it. It weighs a lot, I'm almost sure of it, and its an odd shape. I'm sure shipping from TN to CA or MI to CA would be more than $50. I'm guessing saying it weighs around 100lbs or pretty close to that. I think the way to keep it from kinking the tube, would be to insert some metal harder than the beam at the point where the press would bend it.

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
No the beams that have drum brakes are not the same. The caliper mounting brackets are incorporated into the beam itself. SO you can't get one from a GA16 rear drum car. Some of the GA16's did have rear disc, but they were extremely rare.

This is a very exciting mod. I could get an SE-R axle and then I would have rear disc's too! Shipping would kill a man though!

late,
wes

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A friend who works at a salvage yard said the best he can do is $150. This is a $800 part new. It looks like I will have toe in unless I drive to CA soon, or someone else builds a jig ot fix the axle.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Question: "So after Eric buys a spare and has it bent and installed, what is he going to do with the axle that is currently on his car?"

Answer: "He will sell it to me and then I will get it bent."

Question: "what will Jason do with his spare axle after he installs one that doesn't have 0.31" of toe-in?"

Answer: "sell it to the next guy or girl in line."

[This message has been edited by jacen99SE (edited 10-05-2001).]

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
HAHAHA good idea, although I'm screwed because Imy rear axle only accomodates drum brakes. any one want a down-grade
Maybe I can just be the last in line. The idea I had was to buy an axle from a yard in Cali. Like autogator. They can ship it directly to the bender, and they could ship it on to you. You could potentially cut the shipping costs in half, or nearly half. Maybe I shoulda kept my mouth shut, now autogator will be sold out of those axle's.

late,
wes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts