SR20 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 288 Posts

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
oh you son of a bitch! you trying to keep on the low w/ a cam install???? :D

I love this thread, so well documented... and your inspiring me to go with a pusher setup. I have an a/c compressor on the bluebird, but didn't have one n/a/// but I just realized I don't have the condensor and any of the lines! off with it, rocking the no A/C again! :D

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Thanks guys.

hey what kind of fans and part numbers, i have one, but i need to know if it's the correct one.. and of course i need the other little one.. by the way thanks for the intercooler pics, i got some weird set up to keep my a/c and such.. thanks again
They are FAL Slim Fans. I don't know the part number.

I love this thread, so well documented... and your inspiring me to go with a pusher setup. I have an a/c compressor on the bluebird, but didn't have one n/a/// but I just realized I don't have the condensor and any of the lines! off with it, rocking the no A/C again! :D
If you're not going to put a condenser in it, get rid of that shiz! The compressor and bracket together weigh like 25-30lbs. :eek2:

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
A/C Delete and Pusher Fans/ Divorced Downpipe

Last weekend I tested out the fans, everything worked perfectly. So I put the front end back together and took it for a spin. All is well. I stayed nice and cool.

I also dropped the divorced downpipe off at the machine shop for a few finishing touches. It should be done Saturday. :D

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
JWT S3R Cams

With a Roller Rocker engine my cam choices are pretty limited, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about the JWT S3R cams. I picked some up from a forum member who was returning his B15 to stock:

I’m not going to go into much detail, but I’ll show the pictures I took along the way. There are already lots of great write-ups on cams, here are two really good ones:

http://www.geocities.com/n_dahi/cams/cams.htm

http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/CAMINSTALLINSTFORSR20.PDF

The two are a little different, but there’s good information in both.

When I drained the oil and popped the valve cover, I was very pleased with how clean the engine was:

Apparently when the engine was swapped, they moved the chain guide from the old motor over to this one. I threw it in the trash for weight reduction. :) Nissan did away with the chain guide in 1998.

Here are some better shots inside the head:

Here are the “rollers” for which this engine is named:

This isn’t the engine’s original valve cover, but it was very clean as well:

I set the engine to top dead center, zip-tied the timing chain, and removed the distributor:

Next I removed the timing chain tensioner. Newer SR20 engines have an updated version of the tensioner:

Neither write-up above recommends removing the tensioner, but I think it’s easier than trying to “work around it.” Here’s a good link for info on the tensioner:

http://www.se-r.net/zotz/se-r_tensioner.htm

Also here’s a good tip my Dad taught me long ago- Keep some of these fastener assortments around (you should have a few of these anyway):

When you are removing multiple parts simultaneously, keep the hardware for each item in place using fasteners from the kit:

That will help you avoid losing nuts and bolts, and also help you avoid getting them mixed up.

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 · (Edited)
JWT S3R Cams

Speaking of getting things mixed up, here’s the template to keep track of my cam caps:

Here is a shot of everything removed:

Comparing the stock and JWT cams:

I picked up all new gaskets and a distributor o-ring:

I also decided to get something nice to cover the cams. I had this powdercoated by Late Night Custom:

I picked up this oil cap on Ebay. I must say, I’m pretty impressed for under $10 shipped. It’s made by Mr Gasket and it’s CNC machined aluminum.

Here everything is coming back together:

All buttoned up:

After I had everything reassembled, I reset my timing to 15*. Here’s some info on how to set ignition timing:

http://www.geocities.com/n_dahi/timing/timing.htm

The idle has a little burble to it, but it’s not extreme. Idle sounds great, WOT screams. They shift the power band upward which makes first gear much more manageable, then the top end comes on really strong. I’m very happy with them.

·
Endless Turbo Preparation
952 Posts
A quality setup and install. A template many of us should follow. Very clean and thorough job.

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 · (Edited)
My DSM BOV works pretty well, but I still occasionally get compressor surge coming out of light throttle. I needed something that was adjustable, could be recirculated, and would work well with modest boost levels. I decided on a Greddy Type RS:

I rented a vacuum hand pump from AutoZone to adjust it:

I adjusted it following these directions:

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=126552&highlight=adjust+bov

I set it to begin opening around 8 inHg and it opens very nicely at full vacuum. Out of curiosity, I tested the DSM BOV… it began to open at 15 inHg. :tsk:

I also picked up the adapter needed to recirculate it:

I’m waiting for my flange to arrive. The one I purchased should be here soon.

·
like a stray puppy
2,163 Posts
Hmmm thats cool heads up on the DSM BOV. I have one too. Guess I'll do what you did. I kinda wanted an adjustable one. Like you said I have very small surge if I hit like 2psi of boost. I love this thread BTW swiss.

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 · (Edited)
Greddy RS BOV

In preparation for the new flange, I hacked off the old DSM flange. I intentionally left a “stump” behind so I wouldn’t need to grind down the new flange to match the contour of the pipe.

I forgot to take a picture of the flange by itself, but here it is welded onto the pipe and painted:

Here it is mounted:

It works beautifully. :)

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 · (Edited)
That Damn Breather Filter

Next on my list, I wanted to get this damn thing out of my engine bay:

All it really did well was drip oil on my transmission. :rolleyes:

The tube coming off of the valvecover is about 3/4." I picked up a 3/4" threaded pipe from the racing isle at Home Depot.

I hacked the threaded ends off…

… then cleaned it up.

Here it is welded onto the intake and painted:

I picked up some 3/4” hose from Auto Zone to finish it off.

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 · (Edited)
Hallman Pro RX MBC

After the fuel system upgrades I did earlier, I should be good for about 250whp. I wanted to turn up the boost a little (~10psi) so I picked up a Hallman Pro RX manual boost controller.

It came with a nice simple mounting bracket.

I found the perfect spot using a pre-existing hole in one of the radiator brackets.

Here it is with the lines connected (I added hose clamps later, just to be safe):

After setting it, it will hit 10.5-11psi for a split second then settle nicely at 10psi almost immediately.

I did run into one minor issue. I was breaking up a little with the higher boost level. After a quick search on the forum, I dropped my spark plug gap a hair and that took care of it. I love this place. :grouphug:

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 · (Edited)
Divorced Downpipe

OK, a quick recap- Here was the original plan for the divorced downpipe:

Basically I wanted to turn it into a massive divorced j-pipe, that my Hass downpipe (or what’s left of it) would bolt onto. I decided a v-band flange setup would work nicely.

While it was at the welder, I had him redo the divider piece as well. I really wasn’t happy with its placement or the mating surface of the flange. I cut off the divider and had him resurface the flange before re-attaching it.

I had him cut off the end of the divorced piece right where it transitioned to straight pipe and attach the v-band flange. That 90 degree angle cut should be pretty easy to match up when I cut the Hass downpipe.

I was banking on being able to put everything together and drop it in preassembled.

With the fans and A/C out of the way, everything dropped right in. :)

So now I’m running open downpipe again, except this time bigger and shorter… and it has cams. :) It sounds sooo sick and it pulls like a freight train. This car is slowly turning into the beast I want it to be! :jammin:

Well that’s it for now. I’ll leave you with a brand new shot of the engine bay:

Thanks for looking. :biggthump

101 - 120 of 288 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.