6,321 Posts
Agreed Sir! :)

·
EJ25 AWD Monster
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
More pics fromthe camera phone.

Here are a few more pics.

1st, the ever popular SR20VE....Maybe i will go this route one day..

Next, the rows and rows of SR20DE's. JDM high and low port styles.

And last, 2 of the clips they had in stock, one is a ITR I guess, right hand drive. the other looked like a prelude.

Sorry for the small pics, the camera phone sucks.

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
If I would have gone, I would have hid in the rear... While you were paying, I would have ran and switched out both engines for VE's at the last minute.

I'm black, fast, and crazy when the heat is on... :D

·
EJ25 AWD Monster
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
XxToKeSxX said:
I'm black, fast, and crazy when the heat is on... :D

:rofl: OMG. I didnt say it...LOL. They have 2 VE's Both look clean as hell.

Where are the under the VC motor shots bro? Dont keep me waiting.;)

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Damn, my bad... I will try and get that done tomorrow or wednesday... I totally forgot!

Stupid school getting in the way, I'm booked tonight :(

·
EJ25 AWD Monster
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
XxToKeSxX said:
Damn, my bad... I will try and get that done tomorrow or wednesday... I totally forgot!

Stupid school getting in the way, I'm booked tonight :(

then log out and get to work on the books.

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
I'm going to be up until like 2 tonight... Had to design a storm sewer network for my Intermediate Design Sequence Team from like 8am to about 5pm... :(

I am taking a break and doing some research on this engine homie!

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Just checked under the VC today... I'm waiting on the pics... it was pretty clean, aside from the oil... it was kinda dark

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Again... for those who don't know... Here is the JDM Lowport RR Engine that Brian picked up for me at Soko. Damn camera would die after every shot so I had to take the pics fast... sorry they aren't good... You can't see the rocker rollers in the pics... but you can see the evidence of them from the pattern on the lobes. Here is the information I could find.

Head:
5R - (53J V3??) JDM Ribs on head Silver Valve Cover Red Injectors Mitsubu Alt. tubular ex. manifold 1/1 in circle and /5 in circle on head beside 53J
-I saw red injectors and 53J stamped on the low end, definetely saw the 5R

2J2 - '01?-'02 p11 (Roller rocker arms, Low port intake manifold)

Block:
53J (lower) - FWD '91-'02? G20 (unsure what block was used in P11 but I think 53J)

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=132608&highlight=53j
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21195&highlight=2j2

Engine Number:
866695A - I really feel like its from 97 or 98... not sure though...
the engine code is lower than my usdm code...

Popped the VC... I had never seen what rocker rollers look like... its pretty cool.

More in my sig...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Looks great. Much better than mine. I just took out my engine tonight and it was a little challenging. If you are dropping the engine from the bottom, make sure you have a very high lift...you'll definetly need it.

Hope to see the progress of your swap soon. Good luck.

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Thank TUNED200! I trusted him and he made a good selection (knock on wood)

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
razor bump for Brian

·
From Miami to New York
1,999 Posts
XxToKeSxX said:
First of all I would like to show my deeeeeeep appreciation for Brian. He went out of his way to find me a very clean lowport. I will not be boosting... we had a long discussion about why not :)... so having the roller rocker engine is not a problem for me. Only thing that really might be different is the fact that the oil filter isn't reachable from the top of the motor... no biggie for me.

I have no plans for boosting and will be enjoying this motor in the future... Go Lowports!

What is the main difference in the roller rocker lowport and the regular lowport... Aside from the oil filter locations?

BTW... looks like I have some parts to sell :) **cough** cams. I will let everyone know what I will be selling as my investigation of my old motor goes on. Swap Swap Swap!!!!
This has been done at G20.net. All you have to do is swap your existing intake manifold and valvecover and you are good to go. Look up a post by Mike.com he did it on his P10 and LOVES the roller motor in N/A form, a lot peppier and he does rev still to 7400RPM without a problem. That motor you have is the J-spec roller motor which revs to 7200RPM so you shouldnt have a problem.

My built roller rocker is exactly the same as yours. I just swapped my USDM intake mani and I was good to go.

HERES THE THREAD ON A ROLLER MOTOR BEING THROWN INTO A P10
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19230

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Domiken said:
My built roller rocker is exactly the same as yours. I just swapped my USDM intake mani and I was good to go.
First of all, thanks for the info:

Maaaaaaaaaan... over the past week I have done more info than I have ever done on anything in my life. I have about 4 pages worth of text in notepad on differences, benefits, drawbacks, primeras, compression, piston ring difference, crankshaft wt and design difference, engine codes, vc difference, weight, varieties, difference from usdm/UK rr's, rollers, intake mani (including the page that you mentioned above) ... and I can't stop!

Only real thing I am unsure of is what my compression really is (I think that this engine came from a P11), and what my base HP truely is (could be 140 or 150 from what I have read). There are misconceptions everywhere on the net (here, g20.net, b15sentra.net, ohionissans, and other sites.

Since I live in SW Ohio, and we just got rid of E-Check <^>:D<^> I am thinking of keeping the JDM intake manifold and also keeping my OEM one if I find a job out of state. I hope to swap it in maybe mid-late march (spring break or beginning of next school quarter)... (oooops... I let it slip!!!)

I will be making a fully organized thread on all the research of this particular engine and for roller rockers in general... As I didn't find lot of support for this engine... I also will be making a similar detailed thread on the swap process. I know I wouldn't be the first person to have a JDM RR, but I would like to get rid of all the misconceptions and boost support for this option.

All in all, I really just got lucky (others wouldn't think so)... And I plan to take advantage of the fact that I have been blessed to have the chance to do something that not everyone does, and stick with it (regardless of the rumors).

With the possible help of some of the people here: I hope to share the information that I get in the future so that more people will hop on the train (per se).

Much Love,
MeeN :)

·
From Miami to New York
1,999 Posts
XxToKeSxX said:
First of all, thanks for the info:

Maaaaaaaaaan... over the past week I have done more info than I have ever done on anything in my life. I have about 4 pages worth of text in notepad on differences, benefits, drawbacks, primeras, compression, piston ring difference, crankshaft wt and design difference, engine codes, vc difference, weight, varieties, difference from usdm/UK rr's, rollers, intake mani (including the page that you mentioned above) ... and I can't stop!

Only real thing I am unsure of is what my compression really is (I think that this engine came from a P11), and what my base HP truely is (could be 140 or 150 from what I have read). There are misconceptions everywhere on the net (here, g20.net, b15sentra.net, ohionissans, and other sites.

Since I live in SW Ohio, and we just got rid of E-Check <^>:D<^> I am thinking of keeping the JDM intake manifold and also keeping my OEM one if I find a job out of state. I hope to swap it in maybe mid-late march (spring break or beginning of next school quarter)... (oooops... I let it slip!!!)

I will be making a fully organized thread on all the research of this particular engine and for roller rockers in general... As I didn't find lot of support for this engine... I also will be making a similar detailed thread on the swap process. I know I wouldn't be the first person to have a JDM RR, but I would like to get rid of all the misconceptions and boost support for this option.

All in all, I really just got lucky (others wouldn't think so)... And I plan to take advantage of the fact that I have been blessed to have the chance to do something that not everyone does, and stick with it (regardless of the rumors).

With the possible help of some of the people here: I hope to share the information that I get in the future so that more people will hop on the train (per se).

Much Love,
MeeN :)
Im glad you decided to go with that platform. The USDM roller rocker is 9:5:1, **** what everyone says that its 9:8:1, that was 1 person and that was not proven and Nissan always claimed 9:5:1 145hp. The only roller rocker that is 150hp is the P11 Primera GT motor which has the same USDM intake manifold but it has a different ECU for some reason and it is 10:1 compression and JWT can crack the code (1998-up). The 10:1 motors have a black valve cover.

The motor you have is clearly from Japan (intake manifold) and they are commonly found in the Primera and Bluebird. My first JDM motor that went into my first P11 after blowing it up with boost was from a Bluebird, the current one I have in my car is from a P11. Both have the same intake & exhaust manifold's but the throttle body is a lot smaller than the USDM one. I have talked to many overseas dudes and it seems these motors were rated at 140hp as well, im guessing the different intake manifold and bigger throttle body makes up for the 5hp extra in the US but it makes me wonder why they rev to 7200RPM and in the US they are only at 6750-6800RPM.

You will be amazed with what some S3R cams can do. I wouldnt even bother with that JDM Intake manifold. Make life easy for yourself, swap the valve cover and your existing intake manifold and keep your current computer and read up on the rest of the stuff from Mike.com.

Good luck!

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Hmmm... interesting stuff your spitting... I hate my current Intake mani, but I will take what you said into mind... Look's like I might get to keep my refurbished oil catch can AND my VC! We'll see. Did your friend end up keeping his intake mani? or did he do what you did?

What are the main troubles you can run into with the jdm mani? My guess is EGR, but I hear there are ways around it... (leave it unplugged) I dont know.

MeeN

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
BTW, anyone have any b15 SE motor pics?

·
From Miami to New York
1,999 Posts
XxToKeSxX said:
Hmmm... interesting stuff your spitting... I hate my current Intake mani, but I will take what you said into mind... Look's like I might get to keep my refurbished oil catch can AND my VC! We'll see. Did your friend end up keeping his intake mani? or did he do what you did?

What are the main troubles you can run into with the jdm mani? My guess is EGR, but I hear there are ways around it... (leave it unplugged) I dont know.

MeeN
Yes he did.

The main troubles with the JDM mani is the WIRING, do you really want to try to figure out which wire is what and have to cut your stock harness and be throwing check engine lights left and right. You already know there is no EGR on the intake side or on the exhaust manifold, so that alone will trip a code as there is literally nothing to plug it too, also im sure the 02 sensors are different. Its just too much of a hassle, if you want a nice clean swap without the headaches, then just keep your USDM stuff, take all the JDM stuff off (make it a nice longblock) stick your stuff on it and you are good to go.

We followed Mikes instructions when a girlfriend of my friends who owns a shop blew her 95' G20t motor, he mistakenly bought a RR from a 2001 Sentra, and couldnt return it (thinking all SR20s are the same) so I gave him the instructions and 2 days later the car was running great. She was happy that it was peppier too.

·
Boost Addict Anon Member
554 Posts
Domiken said:
The USDM roller rocker is 9:5:1, fu*k what everyone says that its 9:8:1, that was 1 person and that was not proven and Nissan always claimed 9:5:1 145hp.
Actually the usdm roller rocker motor is 9.8:1.... :rofl: Check the FSM if you don't believe me.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts