SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
LoSe-R
Joined
·
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got mine running in the last 2 days and the 2nd day it ran it spun a bearing. I primed the motor and i was using Mobil 1 oil and i checked the oil. It was perfect. I think this motor was a dud when it was shipped to me. I noticed it was leaking oil out of the crankcase breather. I dont know what to think. Has this happened to anyone else?

I dont want people to think this is true about all JDM motors so im not trying to give them a bad name. Just be careful when you put the motors in I had some problems like a vacuum leak which turned out to be a bad air regulator. Im trying to decide whether i made a mistake when i installed it or if i was sent a dud.

Do i have a case? Should i contact my motor supplier? It was a 3 month warranty and ive had the motor for three months but im just now getting around to starting it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
hmmm, maybe its just me, but i thought when people do swaps its bad to use mobil 1 at first? Just a thought
 

·
LoSe-R
Joined
·
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
eliterit said:
hmmm, maybe its just me, but i thought when people do swaps its bad to use mobil 1 at first? Just a thought

yeah my friends felt like the motor should be run on dino oil and "broken in" like a new motor but arent these used motors with miles on them?

Also, when i popped the valve cover and looked under there it was not clean, my 93 with 103k miles looked cleaner. I didnt have a good feeling with this motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
well i guess u got a bad motor then. I mean i just bought a ka motor for my 240 and it was stored without oil for about 4 months and it didnt look all that great under the fill hole but i used valvoline max life in it, primed it a whole lot before i even started her up.

just from what i've read so much in the past i've heard of people staying away from mobil 1 when they first start a new or used motor. once they know its in working order its safe to switch.
 

·
LoSe-R
Joined
·
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eliterit said:
well i guess u got a bad motor then. I mean i just bought a ka motor for my 240 and it was stored without oil for about 4 months and it didnt look all that great under the fill hole but i used valvoline max life in it, primed it a whole lot before i even started her up.
Was your motor bad? You didnt finish the story. i know its late but please finish. did you get it from a friend, a junkyard another car, an engine supplier?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Black93 said:
Was your motor bad? You didnt finish the story. i know its late but please finish. did you get it from a friend, a junkyard another car, an engine supplier?
well i got the motor from a friend, he swapped a rb motor in his 240 and didnt really care about the old ka24de. as it turns out the motor has great compression 177,172,175,171 w/120,000 miles,, factory spec is 179psi
i got the motor, tranny, ecu, maf, coil, tach all for $100 bucks

the motor actually had been sitting outside uncovered for those 4 months, rain and shine

the motor feels strong right now, its got a bog at low idle and the last thing on my list to replace is the wires and o2,, the ngk wires are on their way though.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top