SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
yup
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 remington run of the mill tires on my classic right now (they came with the car). I killed the tread on the 2 front tires one day at auto-x on the absolute crappiest pavement ever. I started the day with about 95% tread and ended with under 50% tread. Yeah it was that bad.

So i put the rear tires on the front of the car since they had a good 90% tread left on them and put the worn ones on the back of the car. I've been driving around like this for a bunch of months now and the rear tires have now gone bald. The fronts still have lik 80-90% tread left on them.

I had already decided that I was going to get better performance all season tires when i replace the remmingtons (im probably going to go with the bridgestone potenza RE950s... but that choice is not what this post is about).

So my question is... should i just buy two new bridgestones? if so would you reccomend putting them on the front or rear? Or do you think the difference in stickiness between the bridgestones and the potenzas would be too unsafe in which case i would need to replace all four at the same time? The only reason i wouldn't want to do this is because the front tires still have tens of thousands of miles left on them.

Could really use some helpful advice. I want to stay safe in my car. Thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I know the bridgestone has their techinicians put two new tires on the back of the car, for grip reasons. I remember seeing it when I was in a tire place. There was a whole pamphlet on it, and there techincians are not aloud to put 2 new tires on the part of the car which they are replacing. Let me know if this makes sense.

·
yup
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i think that makes sense... so you think it would be good to leave the good remmingtons on the front of the car and replace the worn remmingtons with bridgestones on the back of the car?

With this setup should I just wait for the remmingtons on the front of the car to die and then replace them with bridgestones? or should i still rotate the tires?

·
Learn to swim
1,043 Posts
You should always put the good tires on the front of a FWD. I say put the good tires you have on the back and replace the fronts. If you go somewhere to buy 2 new tires, they should automaticly swap the old tires to the rear...Josh

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Toyo has got an all new all season tire that has gotten pretty good reviews... so good, I can't even remember the name:)... something 04?

They put them on a GTS frontwheel drive car, and the grip was very damn good. After hours of tracking, no chunking what so ever. I just finished reading about them in one of the car mags... maybe Super street.

Oh yeah, IMO, I'd replace all 4 tires. Seems kind of like extra work to keep replacing 2 at a time. Just make sure you rotate them, even if wear isn't showing by eye.

Peace Out,
Mark

·
yup
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice guys... seems like the car will have a pretty loose back end with the bridgestones in front... but should at least be better than having the bald tires on the back... lively back end mmmmmm

so i guess thats what im going to do... however is anyone has a different reccomendation i would be interested in hearing it... thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts