SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey members and memberettes.
heres my dilema: I went down to get my 7 feet of positive and negative battery cables to relocate the battery to the trunk. Well I ended up chatting with the old geezer behind the counter and he filled my mind up with twisted tales of grounding the battery to the frame and blah blah blah. My questions are:
-Where is the battery grounded when its in the trunk?
- Do I have to run the ground cable back to the engine?
-and- Does the ground have to make contact with the engine?

any help is appreciated!!! thanks !!

------------------

SmoothDaddyFig

[This message has been edited by SmoothDaddyFig (edited 10-13-2001).]

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
its alot safer to run a ground to the engine becouse when you start the car you draw alot of power from the battery and there are not meny big wires that conect to the engine to the body so you will end up frying stuff
so its worth spending the extra cash for more cable now so you can have the proper ground to the block.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just recently did my relocate and i haven't had any problems with my battery being grounded to the frame in the back of the car. (actually to the sheetmetal that sits behind the rear seat.) I haven't had any problems with anything frying and i haven't even had any problems with lights dimming or anything even though i have a tendencey to crank my 600 watt stereo up a little higher than i should and it still doesn't dim anything out.

If you wanna check out the procedure that i used i wrote it up in a post not to long ago.

http://www.sr20deforum.com/NonCGI/Forum2/HTML/000642.html

you can check out what i did there. if you have any more specific questions about what i did feel free to e-mail me....

------------------
92 SE-R w/ CAI by hotshot, Battery relocate by Me, Tunes by Sony and JL, And communications by Icom

G

·
hey man hows it.
ground it to the chassis, clean off the tar/deadner for a good contact and then also ground your engine to the chassis at the front, you can measure the voltage drop and if there is drop then add an extra ground at each end all good.
chris.

------------------
primeras its where its at.

·
VE powered
556 Posts
You could always ground it to one of two bolts which attaches the muffler section to the b-pipe. The exhaust is, afterall, attached to the engine block. This is what I plan on doing when I relocate my battery (and save about 20 lbs by installing a Westco).

Steve

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ALRIGHT!!

Thanks for the tips!!
Im tackling that project after I watch the Tampa Bay Bucs whip up on the Tennessee Titans!!!

------------------

SmoothDaddyFig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts