SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I plan relocating my battery to the hatch starting next week (I hope). Starting with the battery in the trunk I plan on running the wire from the battery-under the rear seat-through the rubber plug-under the car-and up into the engine compartment. Sound right? I will use a fuse block before all the audio amp stuff and a splitter in the engine compartment for the alternator and starter and fuses right? I plan on grounding in the trunk... or should I go ahead and run the ground to the stock location under the hood?

Any suggestions, or recomendations?

Thanks,

Tait Parkin

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
Tait!

Whats up? It's Andy

I grounded mine to the trunk, Make sure you put some kinda fuse on the positive side since its running through the car (fires are bad). BTW hows the NX doin?

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Sounds like you have everything covered. I would run the ground back up to the stock location,but if the trunk mounted ground strap works,then that's fine.
I would invest in a vented battery box. Like the kind that drag racers use. Those can be a little pricey,but you won't have to worry about corrosion from battery fumes. Also,heaven forbid,if you have an accident,your battery will be more likely to stay in place.

------------------
Thomas Fox
'93 NX2000
www.geocities.com/subcltr_nx2000/Homepage.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes.... do the battery box. I tried grounding my battery in the trunk and ended up with not enough juice. I would say that my connection was not clean enough. So I puchased a Stinger micro battery and put it back up front. My battery box in the trunk makes the best storage bin.
Oh and "Andy"... thanks again for the help with the tensioner.

[This message has been edited by cossie (edited 04-28-2001).]

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
I would be worried about the gas that the battery makes in side the cabin of the car could be kinda explosive. I had a battery blow up in mechanic class in high school we had to clear the hole trade building out. becouse of that.
Well any way if you did put in the trunk i would run a negitave cable from the battery and hook it up to the block were the old cable is. I think there would be to much restiance in the body and you could over work the battery too or fry some thing. It takes alot of power to crank the starter.
Sorry about the spelling the checker is'nt working.

------------------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go sealed gel cell.... such as Stinger and I know either Jegs or Summit sell micro gel batteries. No mess... no corrosion, no vapor.

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
I run an optima sealed cell, in a vented battery box, to keep it stable just in case.

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. Depending on finaces I will probably get a gell battery, but I will at least get the battery box. So... It would be best to run the ground back to block, no problem there.

Andy, whats up man? My car is still sans engine, but the good news is that this time I got Sunbelt Performance Engines to do the machining, assembly, and dyno for me. With any luck this time around everything will come up roses.

Tait "waiting sucks" Parkin
93 NX

1 - 9 of 9 Posts