SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two years of kicking around a battery relocation kit, I've finally decided to install it in my car. Got a couple questions first:

1. The directions are very vague and asume you know everything about wiring and electronics. However, it says the ground should go to the frame and suggests that it bolts up underneath the car where it can be exposed to the elements (rain, snow, etc.). Would this be OK? I guess technically it would be "grounded" and shouldn't cause an explosion
but it just doesn't seem right to expose a wire where it could get wet. There's a metal bar that's behind the back seat that looks like it would be a better location for the wire 'cause it would be protected from just about anything.

2. I currently have the positive wire going through the rubber booty in the firewall for the steering column (already had a hole there for the wiring for the remote fan switch) and along the hump of the center console. Nothing's hooked up yet. The wire fits almost perfectly, however it passes by the wiring for the ECU. Doesn't touch it or anything; it's just near it. The wire has very thick and rugged insulation, so thick and rugged that it took me a few minutes to cut through it to strip part of it to attach the connection. Is there any danger of somehow the ECU getting fried?

I searched the SE-R list archives -- lots of information but I couldn't come up with anything definitive.

G

·
0 Posts
I was thinking about this also since I was putting in the place racing cai today. My brother-in-law suggested this, so the engine bay would look neat. I think I'll let him do it first. About the power line, I would run it down the side. You could have RF interference affecting the ecu.

G

·
0 Posts
i ran mine from the engine bay and then down under the car and followed the brake lines to the back of the car. the only problem is i ****ed up when installing my rear swaybar and now the cables run under the swaybar instead of over it, so i had to zip tie it to my rear sway-bar....looks like ****, but, umm....i'll fix it some day.
btw, i used a 20' set of jumper cables and a boat battery box. real ****ing cheep.

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
well im not an electrical wiz or anything...oh hell never done the relocation myself. but as for a ground, anything will work as long as it is connected to the frame. like in my old samurai there was a bolt in the rear that bolted the body to the frame, i used that for an amp once. you just want an unpainted surface, raw metal. there has to be a bolt back there or somplace you can drill to get to the main substructure of the car. i know we dont really have a "frame" but main support surfaces are good. ask the list for sure hell there are tons of people that have done it and i bet five bucks everyone thinks theres is the best way to do it and there are tons or replies.

as for the routing. i would try to get it away from the ECU myself. just like with amps when you get near other electrial componets you get some bleed over. as for what that will do to the ECU i have no clue. i would try to get about a foot away or better. lol now the problem is you already have it ran
and dont want to have ot redo it
. i dont know if it would be a problem but if i was doing it i would get it away from it cause thats the way i am. i would probaly run it down the corner of the lip that goes up to the drivers door. then accross the trunk to get to the battery....assuming you are doing it drag style with the batery in the right rear corner. if not putting it there in the spare tire well is where i heard it was the best....but you gota run without a spare, which isnt a problem if its just a track car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts