SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's what my battery tray looks like right now after my first night of working on it. It's TIG welded aluminum. That triangular piece will get welded in, it's just to keep the battery from sliding. There will be other plates welded in on the other end to do the same thing. This will bolt in where the OEM jack bracket is. So the battery will be unseen and you can access it using the little door if you need to jump start. I realize I screwed up on some of the offests to make it fit right, so I'll have to weld some more squares, like the one on the bottom left, to that vertical bar on the left. I'm also going to weld a triangular brace behind that larger flat vertical plate to help transfer some of the stress from where that rear triangular brace is, back onto that vertical piece. It feels pretty solid and will easily support the battery, but when you're driving a car, hitting speed bumps and potholes static weight ceases to be static. So it's going to be overbuilt, but mostly because I have no other means to support that back right corner. I'm going to use a regular "J" hold down for the battery, but I'll make a shorter top bar out of aluminum stock. I figure this thing will probably weigh a bit more than the jack bracket did but I'm not going to compromise the structural integrity of this bracket just to save a few ounces on weight. I'll have it done next Monday night most likely and I'll mount it up with the battery in it so you all can see how it'll look. I won't be running the wiring to put this in for a month or two though. If the sorry ass link doesn't work then I guess you have to wait a day or so and it'll work. Imagestation sucks ass anymore, but I've yet to find any other free image hosting place that gives you anywhere near as much storage space. I've got 36MB of images stored there, most places give you like 5mb.

·
**GIZMO**
1,510 Posts
link doesnt work for me :confused: :confused: :confused:

it says "link is forbiddin" :eek:

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
For those of you with a STRIPPED car. You can do like I did. The batteries fit nicely inside the rear quarters in front of the rear tires. Not sure if this link will work, I've been having problems with imagestation too.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I have time to make a few more I will. I only have two classes left and still have to finish this one.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
I could be interested in one of these. :)

Aaron....the method you used to mount your battery would never pass tech at a dragstrip or SCCA event. Otherwise...it's cool.
Just FYI for those who might not know.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Heh the dragstrips I go to don't care. They let people race lawnmowers down here man. Don't think I'm kidding either.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
LOL lawnmowers? wtf! Nice battery tray toolapcfan, cant wait to see it finished!

-Josh

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have to upload a picture of my hawker genesis tray. I used aluminum J moulding (for paneling?) then cut it and heated and bent it into a rectangle. I drilled a few holes in the bottom to take the stock hold downs and to bolt into the stock battery tray bolt holes. I used a small piece of alum. moulding for the top bar of the hold down. It ended up looking pretty good and shined up very nicely. It is lighter than the stock tray too.
I really didn;t want the hassle of relocating the battery, so this worked out well for me.

People don't even see my battery most of the time b/c it is so tucked away near the fender. A tech inspector took a few minutes looking to find it.

I like your idea of putting it where the jack goes, but I can't do that with an NX :(

--ERic

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
You could always put the back panel back on. They won't even be able to find the battery.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made another one, this one's made of polished aluminum tread plate simply because I couldn't find anything else to make it out of. I also addressed some of the flaws I had in the first one. Although this one is still not perfect. I might try and make one more on wednesday night and get it right.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I have three brackets made, two using the polished treadplate and the first one I made. The jack bracket weighs 1 pound 2 ounces, and the heaviest of the aluminum battery trays weighs 1 pound 7 ounces. Needless to say, 5 ounces isn't much to be concerned about. In fact with the battery, I'd say that the weight change to that corner is minimal, but the loss up front is quite significant. People feel free to make private offers on two of the brackets if you want them. I also have a short piece of aluminum stock for each bracket that you can use with two long j bolts and nuts to hold the battery down. I'll post pics of it mounted up as soon as I have time, which might not be for awhile.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts