SR20 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone from Bay Area, CA, there is a double-header autocross this weekend. Originally there was going to be a day-night autocross on Sat. but the night was cancelled. There is another event on Sunday.

I think some people from the Bay Area were talking about getting into autocross, this is a good group (NASA, not SCCA, much smaller and friendlier) and should be a lot of fun.

Info: http://www.geocities.com/nasa_autox/

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Well, if I go, it will only be Sunday, cuz I already got plans for Saturday.

Hopefully I can get myself up early enough to get there Sunday early. How long of a drive is it from the Palo Alto area?

Oh, and what class would I be in...I have a lot of mods...cams, pullies, headers, CAI, exhaust, ECU, GC/AGX.

Thanks!

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be a 2 hour drive from Palo Alto. I'm not sure what class you would be in. Maybe D-Street Prepared but possibly Street Touring. In fact, the cams will toss you out of street prepared I think. They'll be able to tell you when you get there.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AntonioG:
Oh, and what class would I be in...I have a lot of mods...cams, pullies, headers, CAI, exhaust, ECU, GC/AGX.

Thanks!

</font>

Oooh... That's Street Modified for you. The cams and pulleys throw you out of Street Touring and Street Prepared entirely.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000 (K&N Filter, Borla Muffler, E-Stock)
1998 200SX SE-R (all the bolt-on's, Street Modified)

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Hmmm...I'm interested in going...never autocrossed or road raced before. I'm more of a drag whore, but I think I might check it out.

Anyone else down?

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me know if you're gonna go.. shoot me an email or reply here. I'll be there both days driving my NX and my friends WRX.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Darn I wish I could make it. But I'm supposed to head up to Sacramento to deliver a Quaife LSD.
For any other Bay Area folk interested in autocrosses, check out www.sfrscca.org/solo2. Come out to one of the events and look for me. I shouldn't be hard to find since I would probably have the ONLY NX2000 (and possibly SR20 in general) competing.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000 #711 E-Stock (Novice 3)
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hehe I'm still hiding from the SCCA crowd. I wanna get some experience and have my car sorted out before I make my appearance

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AntonioG:
Eeek! Well, if I go, I will be spanked badly, but who cares?

Maybe I gotta do what you did Andrew and pick up a nice, stock sr20 and compete in the stock classes. I've been thinking about doing that for a while actually.
</font>
Oh don't worry about getting spanked badly. It'll be your first time out. You're either going to suck, or if you're a natural, kick major ass.

I just found out that this weekend is now free, and I might be interested in attending both days for this autox. It'll be a while before the next SFR SCCA autox so this would be a good time to freshen up the lack of skill that I currently have. Hell... I could just run the NX in DSP so I could run in the same class with Paul and see how far off a stock car is to all the DSP cars!

Heck, Antonio... If you're going to go to, run DSP also. No one's going to know you have cams and pulleys... And as long as you don't beat out the competition, no one's going to protest.

--Andrew Phan

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Antonio, I don't have a cell phone. I will definitely be there though so look for a black NX2000 if you go.

Andrew, go go go
I'm curious to see how a stock NX handles also. I bought mine with plenty of mods on it so I never had a chance to drive it stock.

I doubt any of us would beat out the DSP competition if SCCA people are gonna show. There's a few really really tough drivers in that class. Lots of crappy drivers too in VWs hehe so you're guaranteed to beat someone.

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Eeek! Well, if I go, I will be spanked badly, but who cares?

Maybe I gotta do what you did Andrew and pick up a nice, stock sr20 and compete in the stock classes. I've been thinking about doing that for a while actually.

I still haven't figured out yet if I'm going yet...Paul, if you got a cell phone, send it to me at [email protected] Like that I could let you know if I'll be there.

Later guys.

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Ok, I'll see you guys there! I just won't be sleeping much tonight, but who cares?

Take care, see you all tomorrow.

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahh I slept in Sunday
I had a good day Saturday though, and got a bad sunburn too unfortunately so I decided to chill Sunday. Should have went anyway..

Saturday was fun!! I drove my NX first, it had NO traction at all up front.. I had to compensate for understeer the entire time, which is all right I guess as it made me concentrate on braking and taking a good line. I ended up 2nd in DSP, beating a lot of slow drivers and losing to a very fast 325is. Andrew drove his stock NX in STS in the same run group. After our run they did fun runs and I switched cars with Andrew. I was REALLY impressed with the way the stock NX handled, much easier to drive imo than my car. I had a lot of fun driving his car. Thanks Andrew!

Later in the day I drove my friends WRX. It was a very interesting contrast to the NX. The brakes sucked ass and the turbo lag was annoying. On the other hand, when the turbo spooled up you simply took off like a rocket with the help of AWD. A couple of times though the turbo spooled just in time to launch me past my braking zone screwing me all up. After I figured the car and course out a bit I did all right, still slower than either NX though. I think that car would be a LOT more fun at a rallycross. I want to go to one soon.

I also got a ride in a new Porsche Carrera 4.. that is a nice ****ing car. Some programmer kid, hardly older than me was driving it! He said he owned a software company.. punk. He drove the car like I drive in Gran Turismo, no brakes, just lift throttle and crank the wheel over. The combination of traction control and huge sticky tires kept him from hitting cones. He was only going as fast as I was in my NX though. I told him to start using his brakes and he'd go a lot faster. I KNOW that car can go a hell of a lot faster than that.

[This message has been edited by Scarpa (edited 07-22-2001).]

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Too bad you didn't make it. Andrew told me the course was much different today than yesterday. Well, it was my first autocross, and I had a blast! I sucked, but I still had a blast. But, I did learn a lot and that was really good. I learned that brakes are good, but only if you use them early enough - I really screwed up one time and nearly plowed through the cones after a long straight. I also learned that braking and turning is NOT GOOD!
And I learned that street tires aren't really all that bad at the autocross, but my A520s squealed like crazy! I nearly got high from the burnt rubber smell by the end of the course!

But, all in all I had a good time. Andrew has pretty much sold me on joining SCCA and making the events. They'll probably force me to run Street Modified, but I don't care since I just wanna have fun and learn.

Anyways, to anyone that hasn't autocrossed, do it! It's great, cheap fun.

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts