SR20 Forum banner

bb det swap (already searched)

804 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  SE-R-2-Go 
#1 ·
I'm doing a bb det swap in 3 weeks and just finishing the final research. I have done a couple of searches and I can't find anything concrete on whether you can use the bb ecu when doing the swap (some say it works, some say it doesn't). What I'm wondering, is what extra will have to be done to use the BB ECU and will I need to get (or will it be easier if I have) the bb MAF as well. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Well, the issue that comes with using the BB ECU has to do with the functionality of the O2 sensor. The USDM O2 sensor works on a different voltage than what the BB ECU was designed to read. Other than that, I don't know if you will be facing any other issues.

Is this a U12 or U13 BBDET that you're swapping in? Just wondering.

#4 ·
More than likely the U12....my best friend has a U12 and a U13...he's selling me whichever one I want. I haven't looked into the U13 too much so I am going to buy the U12. Which reminds me of another question.....I know I'll be "losing" hp and torque without a hood scoop, but are there any other things I should be considering with the top mount intercooler until I can afford to get a prefab fmic? And also up for discussion if anybody wants......is there a benefit of getting the U13 w/o ic over getting u12 with top mount (eventually getting front moutn with either)? Thanks for the all the replies.

#5 ·
You will want to watch out for pinging/detonation when temperatures go up. Being that the TMIC will heat-soak really quick, you will need to eventually either make a hood scoop or front-mount the intercooler so you can safely run the car.

#6 ·
Nitelife said:
From my research, and off-the-top-of-my-head...you will need to use the bluebirds tps sensor, o2 sensor, and water temp sending units (there are 2). I seem to remember some people stating that the MAFs are the same, but I may be confusing that information. Perhaps someone will clear that up.
The U12 MAF is the same as the USDM SR20 MAF. U12 Maf reads 53J00, while the U13 MAF reads 54J00. I'm not to sure on the part #s..any one care to check?

Manny

#7 ·
the u12 maf is identical to the b13 maf. If you are gonna use a BBu12 ecu you need the u12 bluebird O2 sensor, JGY has em for like $35. You can use the rest of the jdm sensors. The coolant temp sensors will work fine into a b13 chasis. Into a b14 chasis, your gauge cluster will read hot, even tho its not overheating.

#8 ·
Harris said:
You will want to watch out for pinging/detonation when temperatures go up. Being that the TMIC will heat-soak really quick, you will need to eventually either make a hood scoop or front-mount the intercooler so you can safely run the car.
I ran my car for several weeks w/ topmount and no hood scoop, you will be fine (this was in the dead middle of summer in GA READ: 95+ degree weather) I just wouldn't suggest running more then stock boost.

#9 ·
I'd be scared, to be honest, Crim. I've heard a WRX pinging, even with that hood-scoop there (didn't like to hear that noise at all). I figured with no hood scoop on the SE-Rs, detonation/pinging would only be more than likely to happen than with the presence of a hood-scoop.

#11 ·
i was thinking maybe u can run the top mount but use washers on the hood bolts like drifters do to get a gap under the hood closer to the windshield, and therefore get more airflow under there, kinda like a cowl hood for muscle cars. get it?

#12 ·
BlkB14 said:
i was thinking maybe u can run the top mount but use washers on the hood bolts like drifters do to get a gap under the hood closer to the windshield, and therefore get more airflow under there, kinda like a cowl hood for muscle cars. get it?
I think charlie2020 (sorry if that's mistyped) ran something like this on his car. You may want to search under the turbo forum for a thread he posted about it.

#13 ·
we put some washers on the b14 mounting bolts, to lift the rear portion of the hood up slightly. This allowed hot air to escape, and allow better clearance for the top mount. We retained A/C on the swap, so one of the A/C lines interfered with the mounting of the IC piping, causing it to be slightly more raised then ussual.

#14 ·
JHuff15 said:
More than likely the U12....my best friend has a U12 and a U13...he's selling me whichever one I want. I haven't looked into the U13 too much so I am going to buy the U12. Which reminds me of another question.....I know I'll be "losing" hp and torque without a hood scoop, but are there any other things I should be considering with the top mount intercooler until I can afford to get a prefab fmic? And also up for discussion if anybody wants......is there a benefit of getting the U13 w/o ic over getting u12 with top mount (eventually getting front moutn with either)? Thanks for the all the replies.
I say get the U13 motor. It's newer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.