SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up all? My wheel bearings need replacement and the time is coming that I have to do it.

I don't have a press to install the new bearings but I was wondering about removing the hub carrier altogether and replacing it with one from another SE-R!?

Would that be more pain or is it feasible? Anyone done it? This would allow me to do the labor myself if I found the parts somewhere, saving me like 150 bucks per side to do the bearing at a shop. I realized I'd need an alignment after all that but if it CAN be done at home with basic tools I'll gladly pay for a 50 dollar alignment after saving 300 in labor. Please advise. Thanks.

SeRKid

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Buy the spindle from a junkyard... most non-abs spindles are 50 and abs are 75. The job to get it pressed in requires you to take out the spindle anyways so you wouldnt be doin any more work by doing it this way...its also faster and easier. If you do do it yourself, you can pop out the axles from the spindles without popin the balljoint out for both sides, except you have to pop the drivers out when you put it back in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you can also do is pull your original hub and take it and a new wheel bearing to a shop to get pressed in, shouldn't cost much as you do most of the labor.

·
Registered
448 Posts
SucKit said:
Buy the spindle from a junkyard... most non-abs spindles are 50 and abs are 75. The job to get it pressed in requires you to take out the spindle anyways so you wouldnt be doin any more work by doing it this way...its also faster and easier. If you do do it yourself, you can pop out the axles from the spindles without popin the balljoint out for both sides, except you have to pop the drivers out when you put it back in.
I got both my axles in and out without popping a ball joint. Just unbolted the strut, took off the brake line clip and that was that.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Jay Hass said:

I got both my axles in and out without popping a ball joint. Just unbolted the strut, took off the brake line clip and that was that.
It took too much pulling on the spindle to not pop off the drivers side ball joint. But next time ill try it since it does help save the boot if your using the fork to pop it off and the time as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. How tough is it to remove the spindle(s)? What tools would I need? Are the bolts hard to crack open, and what size are they?

Also, what's involved in "popping" the ball joint? I'm assuming upon removal of the wheel / rotor the axle should be able to slide on out after removing the spindle and ball joints? Is that right? Autozone should have any special tools I need, what do you recommend?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but that's what I am, an SE-R newbie. Thanx for the help. Keep it coming, I'm psyched to tackle this job myself sometime soon. Later fellas.

SeRKid

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You need the 32mm socket, ball joint and tie rod popper from auto zone. Also 17mm for the sturt bolts, 22mm wrench for the balljoint if you have to pop it, 19mm for the tie rod and i think thats pretty much it.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
or get a hammer and knock the ball joint loose by hitting the control arm w/ the bolt out, might take some time but you will not rip the boot w/ a fork, and when everything is out, knock off the tie rod w/ a smaller 16oz hammer. no need to get pullers or anything. I did a ball joint about a month ago, and had it apart and back together in about 45 min. minus the time I had to go and get it pressed out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts