SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Witness The Power Of AWD!
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GTi-R has 19mm wide rod bearings where as the other DET/DE variants have 17mm rod bearings. In the SCC article i seen something about larger or more oil orfices...something of that sort...any clarification?

Now I've read that the Eagle rods will work on the GTi-R crank IF DE or Silvia DET bearings are used.

Are there any negative effects of using the thinner bearings on the GTi-R crank?

Reduced reliability? Its not like they cant handle the power as Silvias and DE's will support as much power as the GTi-R DET. Also the Tomei and Jun stroker kits for the GTi-R use the Silvia bearings so they only have to design one rod.

I dont want to cut corners but this is most economical for me at the moment.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
on a gti-r, use original rod bearings. 19mm. if you use 17mm there wont be enough coverage by the bearing onto the crank... it might be expensive, but it is a small price to pay to do things right, instead of things going horribly wrong.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Sirnixalot said:
The GTi-R has 19mm wide rod bearings where as the other DET/DE variants have 17mm rod bearings. In the SCC article i seen something about larger or more oil orfices...something of that sort...any clarification?

Now I've read that the Eagle rods will work on the GTi-R crank IF DE or Silvia DET bearings are used.

Are there any negative effects of using the thinner bearings on the GTi-R crank?

Reduced reliability? Its not like they cant handle the power as Silvias and DE's will support as much power as the GTi-R DET. Also the Tomei and Jun stroker kits for the GTi-R use the Silvia bearings so they only have to design one rod.

I dont want to cut corners but this is most economical for me at the moment.
I'd stick with the GTI-R bearings. They offer 360* oiling. I thought I read on this forum some time ago that it is possible to use a GTI-R bearing with a regular DE rod with some modification, not 100% on that though.

·
Missing my SR
300 Posts
LanceSR20 said:
on a gti-r, use original rod bearings. 19mm. if you use 17mm there wont be enough coverage by the bearing onto the crank... it might be expensive, but it is a small price to pay to do things right, instead of things going horribly wrong.
Good info. Thanks !

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Shift_2 said:
Good info. Thanks !
You can get any rod made custom to fit the gtir bearings. The locating tang on the bearing half is in a different spot on the gtir. You can use DE/DET rods in a gtir motor as long as you use the bearings with that rod. and GTIR rods in a DE/DET with the GTIR bearings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts