SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I think that I have gotten over the idea of swaping to a manual, but is there any way to get the auto to be more responsive and not so slow. I am planning on doing nitrous and don't now if I should worry about that first or what. Also does anyone know if anyone makes any type of shift kit for this thing, I have a friend with a manual se-r and he smokes me every time. I have a 95 SE-R.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is a place in NJ that does it. It is called Level Ten. www.levelten.com I am pretty sure there are people on the main list that have used them. (I think Bubba Zinetti from this BBS also used their services, Bubba you put there?) Thay shouuld be able to do what ever you need.
P.S. They are also listed in the vender section of sr20de.net

[Edited by ser_200sx (10-14-2000 at 01:09 AM).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Lee Kolsyc from the D.C. area may still have a level ten tranny for sale. I havent seen or talked to him since Feb. at salt fest 2k. but I sure he has it.
Nick McCollom 93nx2000

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speeking of Lee some of may be interested to know that he rolled his car yesterday (fri the 13th) in a track event. This is an e-mail he posted to the serca NE chat list.
First the pictures: http://www.pantslessape.com/flipper.html
Next the story

I was at Summit Point yesterday (Full moon and Friday the 13th, bad day to go to the track). I had already made it through 2 sessions instructed by Barry Brown and I was picking up the track fairly well. Barry had to leave for the afternoon so Judi took over as my instructor (I knew her previously through Barry and had helped her at a national race). My third session was going really well. Early in the day most of the cars were really really slow and I got caught up behind a lot of people. I was still getting caught up behind cars but I was able to break free for a while. I was doing even better now and moving a bit more quickly around the track. I was making it through turn 4 with just a lift (which is scary but it works). I was keeping on line farily well and had all my braking points down. I was working on downshifting better, which I tend to do early. I was really working on smaller things and could tell I was becoming a better driver. Barry and Judy really know what they are doing. I was going into Turn 3 at normal speed(70-80??) and I turned in a 5 or so feet to early. I came off the turn really wide and was sliding sideways a bit unable to turn back towards the track. So the instrutor said to go off straight which is what I did. I went through the gravel trap fine (maybe ten feet wide) got on the grass after it and had the car sideways now, I tried to steer away from the tire wall but clipped it with the right front fender. The car bounced of the tire wall and plopped on the roof. Everyone walked out ok, guess the roll cage worked. Suprisingly the suspension is fine and the car is still driveable (minus a windshield or windscreen for you european people). Some Subaru driver was behind me and said he might have it on his in-car. So I hope I get a copy
I bent the accelerator pedal sideways!

Lee

·
Registered
162 Posts
Whoa - thanks for the update on Lee. Maybe I should join the list again.

Lee still has the Level 10 trans for sale (I saw him last week). His transmission is fully re-built (clutches, torque converter, band, etc).

For crisper shifting, you may just want a valve-body re-calibration. This will get rid of the granny shifting from the factory. The valve-body re-calibration is much less expensive than the full rebuild.

You may want to consider the future of the car. I know nobody has a crystal ball but there are a number of things to consider. If you expect to put a lot of power into the car a beefed-up auto may be your best bet. It already has the taller ratios that are more optimal for big power and if fully rebuilt should easily handle greater than 300hp.

If you expect to add less than 100hp, the 5sp is a great way to go. It has the shorter ratios that make much more of less power (thats why your friend beats you - and the fact that there's no liquid-filled converter in his trans).

Its time for you to decide what YOU want.

I couldn't decide - thats why I have both.

For LOTS of Level 10 detail

see my site at

http://homepage.mac.com/carlm/start.html

go to
Transmission
and
Transmission II

1 - 5 of 5 Posts