SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is no longer updated. For the current updates, check here:
http://www.sr20-forum.com/members-rides/554-benfenner-s-1994-black-se-r.html

I finally have the time to post my project. I'd love it if this were a step-by-step account of all the work I've done, but I just don't have that sort of time. I'll post the major stuff, and then try to keep updating as major tasks get completed.

Here's an introduction:

It is a USDM 1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R. I've taken the modification road that I think most people recommend, but rarely follow.

I upgraded brakes first:

Front:

Rear:

Needed new wheels to clear the brakes, so they went on too:

I then moved to suspension, installing 3-way adjustable sway bars, rear tower brace, and I have stiffer spring/dampers ready to go in next weekend. (Sorry, no good pictures yet.)

The battery moved to the trunk in anticipation of turbo, and for better weight distribution:

Notice external cut-off switch:

Now I'm finally on to the power (it's been four years since I started, continually being plagued by money issues). The money problem is no more, so it is time for a turbocharger. After scratching the idea of dropping in a JDM SR20DET, I've decided to turbo my motor, trying to keep the cost and hassle down to a minimum.
I decided against the typical JWT ECU. It would be a good choice, but I wanted to learn engine management, and I took this chance to do just that.

I installed VEMS stand-alone engine management on the N/A motor, got it working to stock or better performance, economy, etc. and learned what I had to learn about tuning an N/A motor.
I'm in the position now to install the turbo bits, and extract the amount of power that I'm looking for with general ease.

Here's the thread of my engine management installation and tuning:

http://www.vems.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=215.0

I'm still fixing a few teething issues, but it's close to finished.
Here's a few pics from the VEMS install:

Wiring harness adapter

VEMS in the car (not mounted):

Coil on plugs installed (don't mind the distributor timing):

I'll have more updates, info, pictures, movies and such later. Stay tuned. Any questions or comments are welcome.

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Very cool man. I love that brake setup. Those rear calipers/rotors are part of the fastbrakes kit?
The rear brakes are the typical Maxima upgrade. I don't recall exactly what year, but the calipers are for a 1996 Maxima I believe. The rotors have the 4 x 100mm bolt pattern, sourced from an odd-ball Nissan car I can't remember. They are the same size as the Maxima rotors, but with the correct bolt pattern. I ordered all the rear stuff from Greg at G-Spec (plug).

I don't keep track of costs anymore, it gets too depressing, but here's a run-down of the aprox. costs for the rear brake install:

Altima master cylinder:.....$120
Calipers after core return:..$160
Rotors:............................$160
Stainless steal lines:........$60
Pads:..............................$54
Brackets for e-brake:........$40 (junkyard G20, needed grinding)
Motul RBF 600 fluid:.........$16 (two bottles)

Total:.............aprox....$610

A bit less than the $900 or so I spent on the front brakes, mostly because the rotors and calipers are factory parts.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
You bet. It was your car thread that really pushed me over the edge. I need to share what I'm doing, and get advice on stuff like quiet mufflers. =]
Haha Awesome :biggthump

I'm still looking for a quite muffler, I might just stick to the stock OEM muffler :biggthump

Check this page out about mufflers, it's old but good information

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks great so far. Have you decided on a turbo setup?
Yah, I have most of the parts I need in my living room.
GTi-R exhaust manifold
GTi-R T28 turbo
GTi-R J-Pipe
Large (for this crowd) 31"x12"x3" eBay intercooler
2.5" charge pipes
1G DSM Blow off valve
misc. water/oil lines.
etc.

I'm still looking for 440cc or similar injectors. Also need to figure out if I want to go with the typical Walboro 255 fuel pump or not...
I've only really given the exhaust a passing thought... That's last.

·
huh??
3,407 Posts
Yah, I have most of the parts I need in my living room.
GTi-R exhaust manifold
GTi-R T28 turbo
GTi-R J-Pipe
Large (for this crowd) 31"x12"x3" eBay intercooler
2.5" charge pipes
1G DSM Blow off valve
misc. water/oil lines.
etc.
the intercooler is big, but I'm getting somethign close to it, 27x12x3 to keep my fogs. everything is looking good! I tought you would've gotten everything all together already.

edit: as for the injector, why not get the STI?

·
Cookin Up Some Snails
1,348 Posts
Lookin good Ben !

The T28 GTIR turbo set up is a great .Ive had 4 turbo setups and The T28 is my favorite . It spooles quick and is instant boost.

I highly recomend the walbro 255. allways good to have plenty of fuel ;)

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
the intercooler is big, but I'm getting somethign close to it, 27x12x3 to keep my fogs. everything is looking good! I tought you would've gotten everything all together already.

edit: as for the injector, why not get the STI?
Yah, that's the size with end tanks. The core is 24"x12"x3". I'm certainly a fan of big intercoolers. Yours sounds great too.

(For those who wouldn't know, I bought some of my turbo parts off Keo.)
I've been taking things slow. Really trying to iron out everything with the engine management before doing anything to the engine. Also I have a road trip ahead of me in May, so it looks like the power goodies will wait until after that. We'll see.

First things first... The Road Magnets and KYB AGXs go in this weekend. I'll have pics.

As for the injectors... I'm very open to the STI option. I'll give it some more thought.

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lookin good Ben !

The T28 GTIR turbo set up is a great .Ive had 4 turbo setups and The T28 is my favorite . It spooles quick and is instant boost.

I highly recomend the walbro 255. allways good to have plenty of fuel ;)
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll have a good time with the boost. I wasn't sure if the Walboro 255 is up to the 275 WHP I'm looking for. Also, I don't know if it likes to run at 3 bar or 4 bar. I just haven't looked into it. That's the one thing I'm not read up on yet. School me if you want. =]

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Go with the STI injectors they are cheap and drop right in. Just need to swap plugs. And with your standalone tuning their cold fuel and latency is no different than tuning for any other injector.

And I want coilpacks :(

·
the original 4-door SR20
590 Posts
Very nice. Those rims look like the chaparral rims that are popular on the Miata seen.

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Very nice. Those rims look like the chaparral rims that are popular on the Miata seen.
I don't know about the Chaparral wheels, but I know what you mean about the Miatas. Mine are Panasports, and they are extremely popular with the Miata guys, any autocross car, old domestics, Datsuns, etc.
I'm not 100% sure, but the original design was done by Minilite I think. So they are all Minilite knock-offs. The Panasports just happen to be the most coveted.

I love the look. I can't get enough of them.
Mine are 15"x7" UL (Ultra Lights) with +38mm offset (reduced to +26mm with my 12mm spacers). The ULs are not DOT approved which is sort of unfortunate, but they have a cool warning because of it and hold up better than many DOT approved light wheels (11 lbs. or less prone to bending). These wheels are 14 lbs. I'll post more pics of them when I'm finished with my take-home exam. For now, you get this:

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More wheel pics for fun.

Checking to see if the Fastbrakes kit would fit. It wouldn't. Needed 12mm spacers.

These are the 12mm spacers I designed myself, and had made at www.emachineshop.com after my first guy fell through.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts