SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my way home from a small se-r meet at matt hunt's, a few of us leaving were accelerating pretty hard onto the highway.. my g20 working hard to keep up with those se-r's. i noticed a quiet banging sound shortly after getting onto the highway which gradually became louder. peter was ahead of me and I called him on the 2-way to pull over.

his best guess is that it's a bent rocker arm, and that driving home might not be possible. i tried to give it a go with him leading and me limping behind but the g didn't make it more than a quarter of a mile before the engine completely stopped.

so we called 'AAA' and had them bring it to a nissan dealership near my house and leave it there overnight. $135 for the flatbed. yikes! i'm not going to let the dealer rape me on the work that needs to be done though, that's for sure. what do you guys think? what should i expect to pay if there is nothing else that needs fixing? i'd rather have some of you help me on this one, but time is money, and i need this done quick so i can get to work this week.

so anyways, thanks peter for sticking around until the truck showed up and for helping me with the speed/rev meter, you're a really good friend. thanks to matt hunt as well for hosting a very nice meet.

------------------

Jon - '95 G20t

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Well, if I were you, I'd take off the valve cover and see for yourself. Rocker arms don't bend. They either break or they pop off. If you take off the valve cover, you'll be able to see what the problem really is. Good luck...

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
Registered
705 Posts
I was gonna say the same thing Jon. They dont bend. they break! That wouldnt have happened unless you did somehting like a 3-2 shift at 7500rpm instead of 3-4, like i did
. May be a rod bearing though, which could be a real pain. What did it sound like? If it increased with engine speed, or if it sounded as if someone was knocking on a piece of plywood(liek knocking on a door) then its a rod bearing. Ill get in touch wiht you on IM i have a WAV of it.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
</font>
Well just tell your mother we ate it all..........

------------------
Peter M.
AIM=NyceP26
97 200SX SER....now with HS Gen 4 Headers

·
_______
3,640 Posts
**** that sucks mang! Let us know whats going on with it. If your going to start poping **** off and looking around give me a call and I'll come down.

Mike

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Gosselin:
**** that sucks mang! Let us know whats going on with it. If your going to start poping **** off and looking around give me a call and I'll come down.

Mike
</font>
Mike...IM waiting for his word, but i told him you might be able to help. I described to him what a rod bearing sounds like and he kinda thinks it sounds like what i splained. Did you do the bearings in your car? i figured your closest to him that would know how to fix it. The only other thing that it could be is just that a rocker just popped off, cuz he didnt overrev he said, buts its really hard an unusual for them to just pop off, ya know.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Jon no need to thank me anymore. It was my duty to stay there and wait with ya man. No way I was gonna leave you there in the dark on the side of the road like that with no cell phone man. I'm just real mad it had to happen on such a good day you know. Hopefully its not too bad and it can be fixed really soon. Jon don't worry and thanxs for the kind words, you're a good friend too man

------------------
Peter M.
AIM=NyceP26
97 200SX SER....now with HS Gen 4 Headers

·
Registered
466 Posts
You two are tearing me up. I think I 'm going to cry now. *snif* *snif*

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R