SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has a 2003 Protegé with 195/55/15 tires. For some reason it came with Bridgestones with a 160 treadwear rating, so after 2 years the tires are all but finished. I'm going to be putting an order in for new tires for my NX soon and thought I could save on shipping if I got both sets at the same time. Anyways, does anybody have a reccomondation for a good all season tire? The factory tires were pretty grippy so I would like to maintian that. I was thinking along the lines of Yokohama Avid H4s. They are only T rated, whereas the stock tires were V rated, but that car will never see over 85 MPH so I don't think that's an issue at all.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
its stock ;)
2,293 Posts
I put some of the Yokohama Avid H4s on my sisters 1990 subaru legacy,and my 1991 moms subaru legacy and the are great. good all season tire.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you can get the correct size, go for the new Toyo Proxes 4. It is phenomenal! The best tire I have ever driven on in the rain. But, they also have great dry traction and a 300 treadwear rating. The price is also quite reasonable, so check them out!

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
I likes my wingfoots a lot, they're M+S rated and kick ass in the snow and they seem to be pretty decent on dry and wet pavement as well. It'd be interesting to see how they'd feel in a 195/50 or 1905/55R15, the ones I have a now are 195/60R14 and needless to say the car doesn't quite corner like it does with the 195/50R15 ES100's on. :) The wife's Grand Am will need tires before the year is up if we don't get rid of it and 16" tires are god awefull expensive. Gotta find her some decent all weather ones that don't cost an arm and a leg.

·
8,886 Posts
Dan_93SER said:
I put Bridgestone RE950s on my wife's Maxima. I like them, and they got good reviews at tirerack.com
What he said. It's the SO3 of all season tires. I have a pair on the Passat. Don't even look elsewhere. It is a little firmer then many other tires.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Are Kumho Ecsta's any good? The reason I ask is they've got the ASX all weather 205/55WR16 for only $70 each at tire rack. 420 treadwear and AA A traction and temp ratings. The RE950's in that size are $98 for the HR's and $116 for the VR's, a bit more than I'd like to spend on tires.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
98sr20ve said:
What he said. It's the SO3 of all season tires. I have a pair on the Passat. Don't even look elsewhere. It is a little firmer then many other tires.
I have them as well. Good tire. Tread wear rating is 400. I wear the outer edge pretty fast though. Guess thats what happens when you autocross on them.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Cooper makes some pretty good all season tires. I've got cooper lifeliner 2's on the front of my car for the winter. They are really nice.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really? I can get Coopers through work for about 30% less than the Bridgestone/Yokohama through tirerack. I had a feeling that Coopers are pretty "second line" but maybe not. Their new Zeon looks pretty good but I'm afraid to try it in place of sticking with SO3s for double the price :confused:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sumitomo HTR 200. Very cheap and my roommate is on his 3rd set. He buys them for summer tires on his Kosei's. Should be under $45 a tire. Definately recommend!

·
8,886 Posts
Sorry, Kuhmo, Cooper, Sumitomo do not hold a candle to Bridgestone high end tires. Those tires are the real deal. Dual tread compound that exposes a softer layer as the tire wears down. It cost more for reason. I killed Porsche's/Vettes/Everything in the rain at VIR with SO3 that where 70% worn. The confidence was unreal. I was worried the first day with the heavy rain. I thought they were old and worn out and they would suck as a result. Nope, Just the right amount of tread and the softer layer under was now exposed and the grip was amazing in the wet. As tires age they harden. This is why Bridgestone does this dual layer rubber compound. The soft lower level doesn't ages the same as the upper layer. When it is finally exposed it has the proper stick.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with that. I went through a set of SO3s and I loved every mile.

But like I said, this is for my mom's Protegé that only she drives. The only time anyone else drives it is when I take it to the shop to service it.

·
Red line chaser
2,040 Posts
They are pretty expensive, but the BF goodrich G-force KDWS are pretty decent also. Not sure how they hold up, but I know a few people who have them and love them. Also heard great things about the KDW's from a friend who has them on his vette. I was thinking of putting the RE950's or the Proxes 4's on the Altima when I get the 18's on there. I still have some time before that happens though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I dont have any experience with these but they seem like a good deal for all season tires.
From www.tires.com

Dunlop Qualifier TR - $66 each shipping included
Specifications:
Treadwear: 440
Traction: A
Temperature: B
Speed Rating: TR

-Mike

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have been quite amazed with my Nokian WRs. I just put them on after doing a lot of research on a All-season that does well in the snow, but handles well too. They are H-rated, but the better part is the XL rating (stiffer sidewall). They grip and have handling charachteristics than any non-summer tire I have ever driven on. The first website below is the company website. The second is a review. If these tires will see snow, (guessing they will by your location) these are incredible. Check audi and volvo websites, a lot of them recommend these.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/index_en.html

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm

·
8,886 Posts
FastNX said:
I agree with that. I went through a set of SO3s and I loved every mile.

But like I said, this is for my mom's Protegé that only she drives. The only time anyone else drives it is when I take it to the shop to service it.

My point was the 950's use the same technology as the SO3's

·
Evo is gone :(
959 Posts
I really liked the Potenza 950's we had on our Contour, besides in the snow.

A tire that has not been mentioned yet is the Continental Extreme Contact. These are an all season tire that I am currently running on my Evo for winter. I have been very impressed by them in all weather conditions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts