SR20 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not going to be using dino oil in my baby. My fiancee has a 91 Celica ST with 381000 miles and still running strong. Gotta love those Toyotas! So it's always had dino oil and I'm not about to put Mobil 1 in it now! :) So what would you guys recommend?

Also, would the STP engine flush thing be a good idea on that high mileage engine? Seems like it would to clean it, but would it maybe create more problems then it would solve? I mean its running well. Don't know about mileage but as far as generally its great. For 103hp and 102ft-lbs of 1.6L it's darn peppy.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
well, first off, do NOT use penzoil, water, I blew an engine on it once, I would personally use Quaker State. when I got the new engine in I decided to try some of that premium blend- semi synthetic and the stuff works pretty good. not as good as my redline though.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just used the cheap stuff for her car. I did find the STP Engine Flush stuff and used it for 20 minutes at 2000rpm and then drained it and put new oil in and left it at that. I can't see wasting 3.5 quarts of oil just to fill and drain again. Don't know if it's any better as I never drive it and I had to come to work right away.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
I've heard some bad stuff about Quaker State. I remember there was a big controversy about it on the SE-R Mailing List about two years ago. Try searching the archives.

Personally, I like Castrol stuff. I've currently use Syntec in my NX, and I used to use GTX (dino) in my old Celica.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Im going to get shot here but I use Castrol dino in my classic. I am a loyal user of the Castrol brand. It has always done me well. I just dont see why I should switch to Mobil 1 in it. Just going from Naji's research it seems that more people have clatter with synthetic than with dino. Maybe Im wrong but I havent had a problem yet (knock on wood).

I would recomend the flush I have never had problems with it. But dont hold me to that tho. I put it in my 135k classic and it helped free up some horses and I got the full 3 5/8's quarts in it. Or what ever it was I dont remember that last little bit by heart yet. Still used to the old Samurai, 4 quarts then keep adding as the days go buy. Or my dads Mazda truck that on its last legs went through a quart every 2 to 3 days :(

·
_______
2,170 Posts
There's nothing wrong with using dino oil. It's just that your "cushion" of protection isn't as good. I figure I drive my car pretty hard, and it sees redline everytime I drive it, so it's worth it to me to use synthetic.

As long as you change it frequently, that's the important part. BTW, although synthetic lasts longer, it still gets dirty at the same rate, so you should change it just as often as dino oil.

It's like I pay more, just for peace of mind. Anyhow, I can buy Castrol Syntec at Costco by the case for $5 *Canadian* per litre, so it's not *that* expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.