SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not big on handling... but i think my car *definately* doesnt feel tight enough around the corners...

i came from a toyota corolla and that thing is NOWHERE as sports-oriented as the SE-R. but i couldnt tell the difference in the handling/corner.

so what can i do to make it a little tighter? Strut Bars or thicker rear antisway bars?

i know i can get the STB for around 90 from Courtesy, how much do sway bars go for?

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Sway bars: $190+ for the set, even more some places.

Get a STB from Ebay or something. They always come up for like $30-$40

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts & shifter bushing, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The biggest improvement you could make to your suspension to make your car corner better is tires and a good alignment. That would be the first place to start. After that is shocks, followed by springs, then sway bars, then strut tower bars.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
The biggest improvement you could make to your suspension to make your car corner better is tires and a good alignment. That would be the first place to start. After that is shocks, followed by springs, then sway bars, then strut tower bars. </font>
actually i dont race or autox so its not a big consideration... i dont really need to hold a ramp at 80+mph...

i just want the car to *feel tighter* for one of the rare times that i decided to blast a corner...

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Limited Slip:
i know i can get the STB for around 90 from Courtesy, how much do sway bars go for?</font>
90?! WHo told you that? everybody i know got them for like 60!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
actually i dont race or autox so its not a big consideration... i dont really need to hold a ramp at 80+mph...

i just want the car to *feel tighter* for one of the rare times that i decided to blast a corner...
</font>
Well... you could have the best suspension in the world for your car (Eibach ERS springs, Koni double-adjustable struts, swaybars, strut bars, etc.) with crappy tires and a crappy alignment, you still won't be able to blast a corner as well as the same car with stock suspension with good tires and a good alignment.

If you want the car to feel *tighter* though... stiffer springs along with shocks that can handle those stiffer springs should do the trick (then swaybars, etc...)

[This message has been edited by RollcageSR20 (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, let's just keep it between the strut bar and sway bar please

im not looking into the shocks+springs because:
1. dont want to sacrifice ride quality
2. dont need it
3. dont want to lower the car
4. not looking to spend that much money

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check the tires and tire pressure. Then check the bushings and ball joints on your control arms and sway bars (presuming you aren't talking about a low milage car). Then check your shocks. Then, if those things look good, I would get an alignment.

I wouldn't spend money on anything other than the alignment until I knew what the "problem" was. If you can't find a "problem" and think it is just something lacking in the design of the stock SE-R, then start buying parts like tires, shocks, bushings, springs, STB, bigger sway bars.....

And do as I say, not as I do

Jim Burnham
'91 G20 with ACT Clutch, Jun Flywheel, Timing at 15, K&N drop-in, AGXs set 1F/1R, ES Bushings, new upper control arms... riding on tall, over-inflated, bad tires.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Even though I already had shocks and springs, a front strut tower brace really helped steering feel and response. If you want to have a little improvement in cornering "feel" and want to spend little money, I would first make sure the alignment is good, that the tires are aired up agressively (close to 40psi if not over
) and then try a front strut tower brace. I haven't got a rear one yet but I do hear they feel nice as well. So I would guess if you do all of this and then a front STB and you still want a tinch more, try a rear one. If you still don't like it, you can EASILY remove the STBs and sell them for a good price. Folks are always looking for used STBs.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO and crashed 93 NX2000

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
The best first step in improving handling/cornering is to improve the driver!!!

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slowSER:
The best first step in improving handling/cornering is to improve the driver!!!

</font>
Ah... GOOD ONE, Pat! I totally forgot about that. I had already taken into account that the driver was halfway decent. Okay... so tires and alignment are the SECOND best step towards improving handling and cornering abilities of the car.

--Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R (corners shitty, bad driver)
1993 NX2000 (VLSD helps, but still shitty)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Doods, he's talking about getting the car to feel tighter. Improving his driving won't help that

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO and crashed 93 NX2000

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben98SentraSE:
Doods, he's talking about getting the car to feel tighter. Improving his driving won't help that
</font>
Okay then... time for a rollcage!

--Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R (no rollcage)
1993 NX2000 (needs a rollcage)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

</font>
yes, yes, THANK YOU!

i just want it to be a little sharper... i dont race or nothing

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

</font>
yes, yes, THANK YOU!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
yes, yes, THANK YOU!

</font>
Well... then you WROTE THE TOPIC WRONG!!!

Hmm... "best first step in improving handling/cornerning...?"

That was the question, we gave you the answers:

-driving ability (good car control, etc.)
-tires and alignment
-shocks
-springs
-sway bars
-strut bars

Then there are other things like:

-polyurethane bushings
-rollcage (welded to the car)

If your topic specifically stated, "best first step in making the car feel tighter"... well, the answers would still be the same. Found it funny that the topic read "best first step in improving handling/cornering" and the first phrase in your first post said "I'm not big on handling..."

Damn, I am just being a ****ing asshole today, aren't I.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts